ABC News Content and Appearance

Tomorrow night it’ll change
It generally changes over once the sunset is at or after 715

2 Likes

Brisbane studio

2 Likes

ABC appoints Genevieve Hussey to lead state coverage for News, Analysis and Investigations

The ABC is pleased to announce the appointment of Genevieve Hussey as Head, State Coverage for ABC News, Analysis and Investigations.

Genevieve takes over the role effective immediately, based in Brisbane.

Gaven Morris, ABC Director News, Analysis and Investigations, said: “Genevieve has been a key leader in our News team for many years and most recently has led our Queensland newsroom with distinction for the past six years. During that period, her achievements include implementing our cross-platform coverage and content strategies and growing digital and 7pm News audience share. Most importantly, she has guided and galvanised the newsroom to produce the best possible reporting to serve local audiences in that state. She is fanatical about a good story and brings enormous energy, experience and editorial nous to whatever she does.

“Gen’s journalism credentials are impeccable, spanning print, radio, and television. Gen is a dynamic and energetic leader, a passionate believer in the ABC and absolutely committed to the highest ethical and editorial standards. With the implementation of the Local Journalism Project – so ably begun by her predecessor Rebecca Matthews – our focus on quality local coverage has never been greater and we’re in better shape than ever to deliver the best service to our local audiences.

“I know Gen will guide and inspire all our metro newsrooms the same way she has the Brisbane team and will be an enormous asset to the News Leadership Team.”

Genevieve started in journalism as a reporter on The Queensland Times local newspaper, based in Ipswich, then moved to Townsville as a radio reporter with Radio 4TO and then to Wollongong as a TV reporter with Prime Television.

She began her ABC career in 1993 as presenter of the Northern Territory 7.30 Report and went on to report for news and current affairs out of Darwin, Brisbane and Sydney. After four years running the NT bureau and a year producing NT 7.30, she moved to Brisbane in 2012. The documentary “Tracy – Facing the Storm”, which she produced, won a silver medal at the New York Film Festival. Her other awards include NT Media Awards and the National Thorn Award for Best News Coverage.

1 Like

A new title image for the NT news and now a wide shot at the closer.

3 Likes

What’s up with the dangles?

1 Like
1 Like

For those wondering, ABC News NT is currently being presented out of a different location while upgrades happen at the Darwin studios!

and the normal presenters have been reporting

3 Likes

I watched the replay of ABC News Victoria on iView this morning and noticed that during the weather, NZ forecast was included alongside Australian forecast. Why?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s the first time I’ve noticed that.

1 Like

I really don’t understand the point of that, does it really need to be included. I may be wrong but it’s not as though they have ABC news live on FTA in NZ.

1 Like

Why?!

1 Like

I am on a two-week holiday at the moment (currently staying at Bunbury in southwest WA).

1 Like

I often watch day old news. If I don’t know about it, it’s still news.

As to NZ forecast, I have spotted it before, but pretty sure it’s not a regular thing.

@JohnsonTV , Paul’s pretty good on Twitter, why not ask?

2 Likes

Trans Tasman travelers, NZ always shows Aus in our weather forecasts.

1 Like

It’s nice to check on what’s happening in the east islands… NZ is a defacto part of Australia anyway… and Aussies are always concerned about the health and wellbeing of our little brothers and sisters.

2 Likes

Both The Australian and TV Tonight are reporting details of some programming changes coming next year, mostly for the News Channel:

• Patricia Karvelas will present a new 4pm eastern program. As a result, National Wrap won’t continue next year
  • The Drum will move to 6pm on ABC TV to provide a lead-in to the 7pm news. The show will be repeated at 7pm eastern on the News Channel
  • Jeremy Fernandez and Karina Carvalho will anchor between 8pm & 9:45pm eastern
3 Likes

Really not a fan of the Drum. ABC need to find an alternative to news at 6pm.

It’s a tough ask, over the years they’ve tried everything, quizzes, soaps, entertainment news and now news talk.

It’s a pity that good local content is almost certainly going to struggle up against the 6 o’clock news on Seven and Nine… a scenario 10 knows all too well. But at least it’s relatively cheap to produce and will get a 2nd life on the news channel.

3 Likes

I thought for a moment that maybe they were going to try something new by creating a multi platform program encompassing Patricia’s RN drive show and a program on 24.

But I realised the RN drive show doesn’t start until 6pm, so Patricia will just have to do a studio shuffle.

Obviously The Drum will move to the News Channel set. I’m expecting a new studio to coincide.