ABC News (Channel)

Joe working Mon-Thu on mornings.
Gemma Veness doing 12-2 Monday, Tuesday and Friday.
Ros is doing Wed and Thursday 12-2, and Friday mornings.
2pm-4pm is being rotated between Canberra and Brisbane; Perth and Adelaide have done a stint.
Karina Carvalho’s shift brought forward to 5pm-8.30pn. She’s working Mon-Thu, with Kirsten Aiken on Fridays.
Melbourne does 9pm and 10pm as normal, with Perth taking over at 11pm for two bulletins (soon to be three with daylight saving time kicking in)

Weekends Miriam Corowa used to do 11am-5pm, she’s now on 4pm-8pm, with Mariam Saab doing 9pm-1am(ish)
Weekend afternoons being shared between Canberra, Adelaide and Hobart (thus far), with the Weekend Breakfast presenters rotating the 11am bulletin (if it happens given pressers).

5 Likes

You’d wonder if those on reduced days have been forced to take a pay cut? Or have the ABC given them work to do at home so that people like Ros and Joe can still meet their five days and stay on the same pay?

I was never that familiar with who the readers were pre-covid. Who used to do afternoons in Sydney?

I also agree that having some of the bulletins presented from various states is ideal. Adds a sense of localism for each area that gets a local presenter, and keeps things interesting each day.

As a side note, I’d also like to see Nine do something like this for their late news as well: ie, share the presenting duties between 9 O and O stations throughout the week.

Gemma Veness and Kirsten Aiken did afternoons, 3-6, pre-Covid.

1 Like

Geez it’d be funny if they’d been taking JobKeeper after causing all the dramas for other companies and places who had!

Thanks heaps for this list, nice to see it all as I only get to see a few different times but good to see how it’s all split up time and location wise.

1 Like

Crocodile Territory

Friday 1 October at 8:30pm AEST

The saltwater crocodile has made a spectacular comeback from the brink of extinction since the Northern Territory outlawed hunting 50 years ago, but the wary relationship between the deadly predator and people is shifting.

A brand new DJI drone bought by the ABC for the filming of the documentary, was snapped up in mid-air by a crocodile.

1 Like

Who is the female who presented the late night/midnight AEDT bulletin on Thu night? Not seen her before.

Rhiannon Shine. has presented late news before.

3 Likes

Saturday 9 October -
Alexandra Alvaro presenting 3pm bulletin from Hobart.

3 Likes

Yes, she was on earlier in the afternoon too, was wondering if she was from Hobart - I knew the name just hadn’t googled yet to see but I thought she was a Tassie one.

It’s actually quite good seeing it being presented from across the country and with different faces and certainly a good bit of experience for some of these presenters too having a full national audience.

Looks like from Monday week (according to the EPG) that the regular schedule returns and presenters return to full-time:

Joe 9-12
Ros 12-3
Gemma/Kirsten: 3-6
Karina 6-9

Weekends TBC

Stacey Lee is slated to present weekend afternoons this week from Adelaide, with Dan and Craig in Canberra on weekday afternoons.

1 Like

Live press conference with the PM announcing the net-zero plan - TOTH rolls around and the news channel cuts away to run their TOTH/presenter changeover spot only to return to the conferencence

Come on ABC News, this is stupid

3 Likes

It’s because it was 12pm and the bulletin starts on ABC TV at that time. I’d say they were introducing main channel viewers to the conference.

I was watching this at work and everyone in the room was confused about why they’d bother. You’d think it would be easier to just cut to Kirsten at the end of the conference, rather than potentially missing something important at the time they cut away at TOTH.

Regarding the main channel, could the TOTH intro not be played only on the main channel and leave News Channel with the PM?

1 Like

It’s not just that though - it happens at every change in presenter and is unnecessary, especially when they are taking live coverage

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: ABC Online & Social Media

Jeremy Fernandez presenting the evening shift tonight filling in for Karina Carvalho who is on mornings covering for Joe O’Brien who is on leave at the moment.

5 Likes

Interesting (odd) programming choice today on the news channel. They cut away from the end of Paul Keating’s National Press Club address… to have Stan Grant summarise the session that hadn’t yet finished :man_shrugging:

The Q&A with Paul Keating went for 1 hour and 18 minutes, according to the video uploaded to iView.

Perth weather presenter Tyne Logan presenting Late News bulletins today.

3 Likes