ABC News (Channel)

They’ve got to stop the pointless crash into live events that go over the top of the hour (especially where they align with presenter changes) too

5 Likes

It just happened, and aligned at a moment where something important was being explained about the change to the ACT case reporting :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The worst is when they’ve been showing a delayed replay, but don’t pause it to do the TOTH.

1 Like

PK hosting today

5 Likes

ABC STOP DOING THIS FFS

Their handling of dueling press conferences is getting worse - they take a lot of some, sweet FA of others and make fuck all effort to try and provide some kind of summary

I get that its hard when there are so many of these back to back and that choosing which one to go with can be tough, but it feels like we’re getting the worse of the coverage

5 Likes

Stick to one of them - I’d say NSW at the moment - as long as the other states can view their local press conferences in full on ABC TV.

Also, full offence, but there’s no need to crash into a state press conference to cover some banal ‘announcement’ from the federal government.

10 Likes

Bigger problem in my eyes is insisting on going to a break at 10.57am when they know the NSW presser starts at EVERY DAY AT 11AM SHARP. Why not go to a break at 10.55 and return at 10.58am, do a quick wrap of the headlines then go to the presser?

Why, two months in, do they get Joe O’Brien make an awkward intro at 11 and cut off the first 30 seconds of Gladys?

16 Likes

Another crash into a planned news conference - this time Queensland and again missing the key COVID number!

1 Like

So no coverage today of the Queensland media conference at 10am.

1 Like

it’s really starting to annoy me the way ABC news treats the Qld press conferences. I stream them at work, and today, as you said, no coverage. in the past, they have talked over the first 30 to 60 seconds completely drowning out the numbers given by the premier.

I had to stream todays off 9’s website

2 Likes

and once again no coverage today. I have had enough and i have logged a formal complaint about the non broadcast of qld conferences and the presenters talking over the top of the start of them when they do show them

3 Likes

It’s pretty ridiculous that they breathlessly cover the NSW presser each and everyday despite there being no news in them aside from the daily number - which is getting less important by the day.

1 Like

They’ve tended not to cover live the states that dont have cases

The same happened last year with Victoria - its not a good way to do it, i wish they’d just drop out once the (inane) questions start

1 Like

Simple solution: local press conferences go on ABC TV in full (or at least until the questions start). News Channel curates what’s important: if they know restrictions are going to change in Victoria, for example, cross to Daniel Andrews et. al., air the announcement, then move on. Direct viewers to ABC TV, ABC News online or the local ABC Facebook page.

Pretty bewildering approach to this given we’re 18 months+ in.

6 Likes

they need to tell us that. “we are nbot covering the qld press conference but it is live on youtube” or some such

3 Likes

Dan Bourchier has been presenting 2-3pm bulletins this week from Canberra again.

Isn’t that on the ticker?

2 Likes

Its been mixed - it would be helpful if they could do some kind of visual callout on screen that makes it a bit clearer

1 Like

yes. if they are sticking it on the ticker i feel like they need to say something as well - people might be watching at work or doing other things with the TV on

They telegraph the day’s plans on their live blog too. If you really care about the announcement, it’s not that hard to find out what’s going on.