ABC News (Channel)

3 Likes

Why don’t they fill the crap overnight with either Bulletin’s or a relay of BBC World News instead.

3 Likes

So Lateline is being replaced by another option style panel show? Sounds boring. Also how is Stan Grant meant to be the Chief Asia Correspondent while hosting a nightly TV show?

ABC News Channel has just gone off the air… currently showing a loop.

Sound problems… went to a pre recorded loop, then they tried commencing One plus One, now they’ve gone to the Brisbane Edition.

1 Like

Queensland has been showing the local 7pm news on 24

I didn’t see at which point ABC News started airing the Queensland 7pm bulletin but when I tuned in to see what was going on, there weren’t any additional on-screen graphics:

The “ABC News” box appeared just before Weather (the timing pretty much coincided with the PTC at the end of the pre-Weather report):

…and the clock returned at the start of The Business:

2 Likes

Queensland got the clock (AEST) and some graphics

Then

3 Likes

Oh this one?
@WAtvVideos Would know this one very well :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Has anyone actually posted this here before?

5 Likes

Yes, I think a few weeks after the Relaunch.

3 Likes

Speaking of which, what does everyone think about the new look now that it’s had a few more months to bed in? When it first started there were quite a few complaints about it, people thinking it was a downgrade.

Personally it’s grown on me a lot. I liked it from the start but even then I’m impressed. It also helps that the ABC has actually stuck to the style guide across the corporation. The new font is being used pretty much everywhere (on ABC(1), News, online, the new Listen app), so it really does look very consistent. The upside to that is that there’s now a uniform look so it’s really easy to spot out that “yep that’s the ABC”.

There’s a few things which I’d like fixed, such as the clock still being somewhat hideous, but otherwise I think it’s an excellent update. I look back at the old 2010 package and realise it’s now quite dated.

5 Likes

It’s still a downgrade. I think I would prefer they had blue and white graphics than black and white ones.

5 Likes

What I personally think about the current branding of Australia’s other major TV news services…

Seven: Slightly more upscale than their old look (with nicer fonts, etc.) but still rather average.
Nine: It’s like the result of someone throwing news branding elements from Nine, Ten, the BBC and CNN into a blender.
Ten: Pretty good at launch, but starting to show it’s age now that other networks have since relaunched. Hopefully CBS will eventually reposition the brand to match the current look of either their local or national news operations in the US.
SBS: Simple and effective enough, although not overly memorable.
Sky: Why can’t they just use the full Sky News UK graphics package?

In comparison, I’d probably say the current branding of ABC News is the best of any Australian TV news service. There are one or two things that could be tweaked like the clock on the news channel, but overall it’s a very solid brand.

That said, I still think the state/territory 7pm bulletins really needs to be positioned slightly differently to the other ABC News bulletins with local imagery in the titles (like the previous look had) and sharper, punchier sounding theme music. Something that screams “This is the 7 O’Clock News on the ABC. Pay attention because it’s starting right now!” at you like this did.

3 Likes

It still feels half-baked and incomplete to me. They’ve taken a very good concept and then ruined it in the execution.

2 Likes

Would you say it’s 2nd only to ABC?

I personally think 9 has the best presentation ATM.

1 Like

I’d probably say that Nine News currently has better quality On-Air Presentation than Seven & Ten (when it comes to native HD production, they’re definitely 2nd to none), but I personally prefer some of their older branding from a design perspective. Although that’s for another topic.

4 Likes

I hate their supers but like their titlecards and transitions, although I still don’t get how Nine’s graphics is similar to that of BBC/CNN (OK maybe the globe is a bit like Ten but apart from that?).

ABC’s looks good tbh, but unfortunately the quality is quite bad in SD, and I was hoping that they would’ve based it on the previous package but change the colour of the ticker to black and the supers to black and white etc.

1 Like

The similarities between the branding of Nine News and BBC News are more set wise than graphics wise, although I can see a few hints of inspiration between both with things like the subtle floating city names on the titlecards.

Nine’s supers are somewhat CNN-inspired because of the top line and the strip to the side of the main/white bit. And although not part of the current look, who could forget the January-October 2016 “3, 2, 1” Nine News Now titlecard?! :wink:

I agree that ABC News’ graphics lose a bit in SD, although I’m sure upgrades to HD will take place gradually over time as the budget allows them to.

As for the ticker, I’m not particularly fond of how it doesn’t extend across the screen either but the ABC are only following current/recent design trends there.

2 Likes

Everything but the clock is fine. A shame it took them almost a month for them to roll out all the elements.

4 Likes

I personally think that black and a golden yellow would’ve worked together better than black and light blue. The two colours don’t mesh as well together, but it’s still a very nice design: clean and simple but authoritative.

I particularly like the deeper orchestral element to the theme. Relatively small tweaks, but they make a huge difference. Though the fade out after the headlines could do without the electronic tri-tone, that part of the theme should be softer.