ABC News (Channel)

Also have elections for the SA voice to Parliament as well on the same night, if they needed something else to justify the coverage.

1 Like

Just as many people say ABC24 is left biased as say that it is right biased. So it probably falls somewhere in the middle, as it should.

5 Likes

How many local government elections have something that resembles a result by the end of election night? In NSW, we don’t know for weeks after in many council areas

2 Likes

In the last SA LGA elections, most of the results didn’t come through until Sunday afternoon.

Also apparently at the last QLD council elections, the Queensland Electoral Commissions website crashed, meaning that the networks couldn’t provide any more updates. I presume that results for LGA elections aren’t distributed to networks via FTP files like federal and (presumably) state elections.

BCC might be the only one really

There are also 2 state by-elections on the same night.

The BCC election is very similar to state elections with all candidates showing party allegiance on the voting cards and likely show an outcome on the night.

There is going to be coverage on ABC local radio that night with Antony Greene.

As mentioned before, SA voice to Parliament elections will also given them time to fill if needed.

1 Like

Yeah although it’s non-partisan so not much to cover

However the Inala and Ipswich West by-elections are probably the easiest to help fill, I know that’s what I’ll be doing

Can be used to fill in time if things stagnate, which can even happen in a full federal election.

1 Like

I think there are a few main reasons why they wouldn’t use it to fill in the coverage:

1. There is expectes to be around 30,000 votes cast in the entire election. I get the significance of being the first vote in the first Voice to Parliament in the country, but it just isn’t a big election on scale.

2. I am not sure how they are going to conduct the count. The Voice is using optional preferential voting with six electoral disctricts. The question is whether they would do preference counts on the night or only do the first preference count and conduct preferences at a later date. If it is the latter, it could make for a very quick coverage of that election.

3. The coverage of the BCC elections would really be targeted at Brisbane and SE QLD viewers, so the SA Voice is of little relevance to them. The previous times I can think of that they have covered another election during state/territory election coverage, they were both more significant elections:

• 2018 SA election had coverage of the Batman by-election (federal seat)
  • 2020 ACT election had coverage of the New Zealand election

If they were going to cover the BCC election, I agree with Leo that they would probably go with the two state by-elections. Both are in the SEQLD area, one of them is in Brisbane and is the seat of the former Premier, and would be seen as a bit of a litmus test for the government ahead of the general election later this year.

2 Likes

Dangerous to get in between SA and its inflated sense of self but Victoria and the ACT both have ‘voices’ that are popularly elected. They’re just not called voices.

Also based on comments from Steven Miles it looks like there could be significant swings, especially in Ipswich West, and a by-election in a safe Labor seat flipping to the LNP is something that should definitely be covered

Victoria doesn’t provide actual vote data though (which is actually pretty terrible) and voting is organised differently to the traditional Saturday vote/count

1 Like

No they don’t, and if they do it’s just saying it without any evidence.

Well, no, they do. Even on this forum. They’re wrong… but they still say it.

1 Like

oh I meant in the general populous.

i think a lot do, especially fuelled by News Corp / Sky News talking points

I think the sky audience being exposed to that is small, and the number who get wrapped up in it is smaller again.

Sky has a small overall reach, yes, but it is influential to those that watch it. And News Corp papers like the Herald Sun, Daily Telegraph, etc are widely read and influence their readership in particular to see the ABC as “left”, either with or without evidence. Or they will cherry pick a select few incidents and make out that it is indicative of a much broader problem at the ABC.

1 Like

I’ve found the ABC to be very consistent in the direction they swing.

They always swing hard and fast against whoever is cutting their budget.

The vast majority of people who say the ABC is biased towards either Left or Right does so with little or no evidence - most of the time its parrotted lines from another source.