ABC News (Channel)

Who on earth is Josh Zepps? Never seen him on ABC News before

1 Like

First came to minor prominence doing impressions on the last years of Mike Carlton’s breakfast show on 2UE (when poor old Mike was struggling to do the impressions himself). He later made a name for himself on cable and online television in the US. He has appeared on The Project in the past couple of years.

1 Like

Some other accomplishments. He was a founding host for HuffPost Live in America. He produced and hosted Brink on the Science Channel. He was a correspondent spot with Al Roker on the NBC
Today Show. He hosts political talkback radio in America.

Apart from hosting The Project on Ten quite a few times, he also presented on ABC Radio and appeared on Q&A on the ABC. His early work in Australia included host and co-executive producer of Australian Idol Backstage. He did comedy and satire comedy work with Mike Carlton. He was the voice of "Olly the Kookaburra , one of three mascots in the Sydney 2000 Summer Olympics.

He was born Josh Szeps and is the son of Henri Szeps, who is well known from comedy series Mother and Son. He married Sean Joseph Gallerani and they now live in Sydney with their twins.

4 Likes

Thanks littlegezzybear. Seems much more well known in Sydney. Interesting that they’ve picked someone from outside the news department to host. Bit like Hamish X whose last name I forget.

And now jbar!

1 Like

New lineup starts next Monday. I’m assuming production has moved to the ABCs Melbourne studios from 3pm - 6pm.

1 Like

The Drum launches in prime-time; new roles for Patricia Karvelas and Josh Szeps; ABC NEWS channel unveils 2019 line-up

The ABC is adding to its news and current affairs coverage in 2019 with The Drum moving to 6.00 PM on ABC TV, new shows with Patricia Karvelas , Jeremy Fernandez and Karina Carvalho on ABC NEWS channel and Josh Szeps joining Weekend Breakfast .

Coming to the ABC NEWS line-up from Monday 4 February:

• Respected ABC commentator and RN Drive presenter Patricia Karvelas joins Gemma Veness and Kirsten Aiken at 4.00pm AEDT for Afternoon Briefing, adding her inimitable insights to political and current events with special guests

• Top news anchors Jeremy Fernandez and Karina Carvalho co-host a new LIVE discussion program focusing on the day’s main stories at 8.00pm AEDT from Monday-to-Thursday

• Starting Saturday 9 February, TV and radio broadcaster Josh Szeps joins Johanna Nicholson as co-host of Weekend Breakfast , with the latest news from Australia and around the world as well as in-depth analysis and interviews from 7.00am AEDT each Saturday and Sunday. A new face on ABC NEWS channel, Josh previously worked in the US with Discovery Science Channel , CBS News Productions and the NBC Today Show and founded and presented the multi-award winning HuffPost Live . He can also be heard on ABC Radio and ABC RN

• Andrew Geoghegan will present the weeknight Late News at approximately 10.30pm on ABC main channel, with Michael Tetlow continuing to present a Late News for WA viewers at approximately 10.30pm WST, along with overnight news bulletins on ABC NEWS Channel.

Afternoon Briefing with Patricia Karvelas will deliver sharp political analysis, coverage of current events and the biggest stories of the day.

I think audiences are increasingly looking for context and explanation to cut through all the noise – Afternoon Briefing will provide it,” says Karvelas.

“You will see our most influential politicians and local and national leaders cross-examined about their plans and I will take it beyond the immediate news cycle and shine light on their end-game."

Josh Szeps says he is thrilled to be joining the ABC NEWS team on the Weekend Breakfast couch.

"I’m looking forward to so much about this job,” he says. “Working with the sharpest news team in Australia. Teaming up with one of the most talented presenters on TV, Johanna Nicholson. And most importantly, stealing Barrie Cassidy’s muffins. Watch yourself, Cassidy. I start at 7:00am.”

In a huge move for The Drum , on Monday 4 February Australia’s liveliest discussion launches in a new timeslot of 6.00pm AEDT weeknights on ABC TV with an expanded hour-long format.

Each weekday co-hosts Julia Baird and Ellen Fanning will lead a panel of experts and opinion-leaders discussing the key issues gripping or confounding Australia.

“The Drum means lively debate from diverse points of view that is robust while always respectful,” says Baird. "In this election year, Australians want to engage with what really matters - policy and ideas - without the weariness of partisan politics.”

Says Fanning: “One of The Drum’s key strengths is our guest list. Every day we can draw from more than 500 potential panelists – ensuring different voices are heard and conventional wisdoms can be questioned.

“If we continue to hear only the same voices, the same commentators, the same cliches, our politics will become bogged.”

ABC NEWS channel

ABC NEWS channel was Australia’s most-watched 24-hour news channel in 2018.

In 2019 ABC NEWS channel will again offer the most authoritative rolling coverage of the year’s critical political events, led by the NSW State Election, the federal budget announcement and a fascinating federal election, with analysis and insights from Australia’s leading journalists and experts.

2 Likes

That could be difficult where they’re 800 km apart.

Nice… faux chummy banter that makes no sense… that’s a sign of a first class news release!

1 Like

Hopefully it’s not just because of the muffins

1 Like

They shouldve used the opportunity to relaunch Weekend Breakfast completely and replaced Joanna Nicholson with Kath Robinson. Nicholson has no gravitas or on-air charisma.

It seems the 5pm bulletin will be exclusive to the news channel. No longer on main channel.

Kath would’ve been a good choice, paired with Szeps.

The drum really needs a bit of a relaunch to coincide with its new prime time slot, I’ve never been a fan of the look of the show at all.

With the almost frequent “Alert” ticker these past weeks due to the Tasmanian and Victorian fires, the yellow really lifts the supers and ties nicely with the clock.

If they could somehow incorporate yellow into the package permanently it would certainly look much nicer than plain black and white.

I reckon The Drum might now be presented from the News Channel set at Ultimo, especially if the 5pm bulletin will still be presented from Melbourne this year.

Being a flagship program with interviews and whatnot, surely 7.30 would need access to their studio for a bit longer than half an hour before airtime?

According to EPG will be known as ABC News Tonight

Edit - don’t trust anything I say.

They just be moving to the news channel set.

Haven’t heard that one before :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The show’s airing at 7pm AEDT on the News Channel, not 5pm

1 Like

It’s already been said that The Drum is expected to get a new set & logo, hasn’t it? So I presume there’ll be new titles/graphics.

Wouldn’t mind there being new theme music too.

1 Like

Isn’t this the new logo? Not a big fan personally.

1 Like