ABC New Year's Eve Coverage

The stars are out to celebrate New Year’s Eve with ABC

The biggest names in Australian music will be joining the ABC in bidding a huge farewell to 2021.

Hosted by Charlie Pickering, Zan Rowe and Jeremy Fernandez, the ABC’s NYE2021: Let’s Celebrate! concert and fireworks spectacular, screening Friday 31st December from 8.30pm, will have all Australians dancing across the country.

Broadcasting live from the stunning location of the Sydney Opera House, the all-star line-up includes Tina Arena, Missy Higgins, Casey Donovan, hip hop sensation Genesis Owusu, Budjerah, Gordi, Tyne James Organ, breakthrough electronic music duo Shouse, as well as country music favourites Beccy Cole and Adam Harvey. Adding to this stellar line-up will be additional performances from some very special guests, still to be announced.

The celebrations kick off with a family-friendly show, hosted by Hunter Page-Lochard and Chenelle Carr (The Wonder Gang) culminating in a special 9pm fireworks and Welcome to Country. From 9:15pm the perfect soundtrack for your New Year’s Eve begins. As part of the festivities, we’ll say thank you to our frontline workers, and bid two Australian icons, The Sydney Harbour Bridge and the ABC, a happy 90th birthday.

At midnight, and in collaboration with the City of Sydney, the night sky will light up with a live firework display as we say a final goodbye to 2021.

ABC Director of Regional and Local Judith Whelan says: “We’re thrilled to be partnering with the City of Sydney to bring Sydney’s showstopping fireworks to the rest of the country and the world. 2022 is going to be a huge year for the ABC as we celebrate our 90th birthday. We hope all Australian’s can tune in to ABC and celebrate this extra special night with us.”

The NYE2021: Let’s Celebrate! concert event will be broadcast across the entire ABC network including ABC TV, ABC Local Radio and live streamed on ABC iview and across ABC social channels. Global audiences can also tune in to ABC International, and the firework displays will be audio described for the vision impaired and available on the ABC listen app.

1 Like

The actual theme for the evening is “See Sydney Shine” according to the website

Line-up for ABC Local Time

07:30 pm The Yearly With Charlie Pickering Rpt

08:30 pm NYE2021: The Early Night Show
A big night of entertainment and music as everyone prepares to welcome 2022. Celebrations kick off with a family-friendly show hosted by Hunter Page-Lochard and Chenelle Carr from The Wonder Gang.

08:59 pm NYE2021: 9pm Fireworks
All eyes will be on Sydney Harbour as the countdown to the new year begins with a Welcome to Country and the 9pm fireworks.

09:15 pm NYE2021: Concert
Hosted by Charlie Pickering, Zan Rowe and Jeremy Fernandez, an all-star concert at the Sydney Opera House featuring Tina Arena, Missy Higgins, Casey Donovan, Genesis Owusu, Budjerah, Gordi, Beccy Cole, Adam Harvey and more.

11:45 pm NYE2021: Countdown to Midnight
The biggest names in Australian music will be joining in and bidding a huge farewell to 2021. Hosted by Charlie Pickering, Zan Rowe and Jeremy Fernandez.

11:59 pm NYE2021: Sydney Midnight Fireworks
The whole world will be watching as Sydney rings in the new year with the spectacular midnight fireworks on Sydney Harbour to start 2022.

12:15 am rage New Year’s Special

ABC News - AEDT Live to all markets
11:59 pm NYE2021: Sydney Midnight Fireworks
12:15 am ABC News On New Year’s Eve

5 Likes

Despite it being News Year’s Day…

I assume that this will be the ‘world feed’? (i.e. different music)

Will ME and TV PLUS be showing this as well?

It will only be 2022 in NSW, ACT, VIC and TAS.

ABC ME will be showing the early part of the main channel’s coverage from 8.30pm to 9.15pm including the 9pm fireworks.

ABC News channel will also broadcast the 9pm fireworks live around Australia.

ABC ME and ABC TV Plus are not showing the midnight fireworks.

The entire ABC NYE coverage will be shown live on ABC Australia across Asia-Pacific region this Friday from 8.30pm AEDT.

2 Likes

Are there changes to the performing line-up in the concert?

From ABC’s schedule three days ago:

From the FB page of ABC Southern Queensland on Christmas Eve:

3 Likes

Jimmy Barnes is back. Performed not too long ago on NYE 2017

3 Likes

According to TV Tonight, both Jimmy Barnes and Delta Goodrem will perform via live crosses.

2 Likes

The concert has been alright tonight so far. Some singers we know, like Delta Goodrem, Missy Higgins and Jimmy Barnes. And some “up.and coming” stars too.

And promoting that the ABC and the Sydney Harbour Bridge will be 90 years old in 2022.

Note: Goodrem and Barnsey were there live.

3 Likes

Is Barnesey performing from the deck of the Cahill expressway?

Interesting venue for it. I now it’s closed until Jan 10.

I saw the signs above of the different lane so I’ve recognized it from them.

2 Likes

End credits for the NYE on ABC.

Happy New Year to everyone on Mediaspy!

5 Likes

Good show but the actual fireworks music sucks majorly. Is the ABC not allowed or not willing to play pop music?

The lack of vocals in particular means the fireworks can get rather dull after a while.

3 Likes

Thanks for the screenshot of the end credits.

Happy New Year to everyone in here too :partying_face:

2 Likes

Performance of the night goes to Tina Arena’s cover of Back in Black. Who would have thought she could sing an AC/DC classic?

Great concert tonight.

And to answer Cmo’s question, both Delta and Barnesy performed on the carriageway of Cahill Expressway.

5 Likes

Great concert as usual

The ABC are just the broadcasters, City of Sydney would control what music is played.

5 Likes

Yes. Budget obviously wouldn’t allow music rights. Awkward

3 Likes

Amazing performance!
After this and her version of Divinyls’ Boys in Town at the FireFight concert in 2020, I think her next album should be covers of Aussie rock classics.

3 Likes

Great entertainment until the Arena woman’s appearance. Don’t understand her attraction. She brought down the upbeat tone of the whole night. There was at least 3 better female performers and singers than her. I’m thinking Delta, Casey and Missy. Back in Black was ok because of the backing musicians, her singing was not.

2 Likes