ABC New Year's Eve Coverage

Let him that is without sin cast the first stone

Give him a break… how about we start 2018 focussing on the positive stuff about tv

From the last 30 mins I watched it was great viewing

With the ratings this coverage gets I’m surprised the commercial networks are still not interested in bidding for the rights.

Although in saying that finally the ABC got it right so congrats to them.

2 Likes

Clearly intentional.

Even the Daily Telegraph didnt say that. Only the loons did.

They recognosed it as a gaffe and they added his apology on Twitter later.

1 Like

When Kerry Packer owned Nine they sponsored the NYE Fireworks and Sydney Festival for many years. The relationships were so entrenched it seemed like they would never end. I’m guessing it’s thought now that the financial outlay isn’t worth the return.

3 Likes

Uhh no

2 Likes

Imagine being so dumb you actually give a shit about that slip of the tongue.

14 Likes

For many people, joking about police officers being killed isn’t a joke because they are mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters and they all do great work in the community.

For many people, derangement is a mental illness.

1 Like

Joking about anyone being killed isn’t a joke, except this wasn’t a joke. Pull your head in.

6 Likes

Exactly. Joking about the death of anyone isn’t funny. Joking about the death of police officers is a low blow considering the service they do to the community.

Every time I go to say kiss, I always accidentally say kill. Not.

If it was an accident, would he even be thinking about killing cops? Sad.

It. Was. An. Accident.

He apologised and said it was a slip of the tongue.

My goodness, we can’t even start a new year off without some hysterical manufactured excuse to bash the ABC. We as a society should probably just pack it in.

15 Likes

Wasn’t it something to do with the value on return?

Given the massive ratings are only for 10min.

Rather than, say, Logies or Carols which stretch multiple hours.

It’s also out of prime-time share in Sydney and Melbourne (i.e.) 12am.

Some caps from the Midnight Fireworks. Coverage an improvement from the last four years

2 Likes

You’re forgetting that we now live in a society where pretty everything is, can and will be used as an opportunity for political/ideological point-scoring.

Between that and the increasing national pastime of hate-watching the NYE coverage in anticipation of wanting something to complain about, it’s no surprise that Pickering’s slip-up has become a talking point even with his quick correction

8 Likes

So, how many people who are criticising have actually MC’d or done ad-lib presenting before? In the heat of the moment, it’s extremely easy to say the wrong word or the wrong thing as often the mouth is speaking before the brain has finished a sentence and sometimes the wrong word does come out. That’s not to say he was thinking about killing police officers, it was the wrong word which came out. I’ve done it many times and luckily it just hasn’t been on national TV.
If he was reading an autocue or some notes or something, kiss and kill both start with ki and if you’re reading and the way the brain processes things it’s again a simple mistake. It’s an unfortunate mistake and as mentioned jokes about killing anybody just aren’t funny but mistakes happen to people when they’re speaking to large crowds in the heat of the moment and there’s no opportuntiy to re-record. Live TV folks.

15 Likes

I’m not a fan of Charlie but it was clearly a slip and I can’t fathom why people think it is something that he would deliberately say. Or have I just missed all his anti policing rants over the years?

2 Likes

I agree that it was just a simple slip of the tongue on Charlie Pickering’s behalf. He quickly apologised for it, so let’s move on already.

4 Likes

Has the midnight fireworks in Sydney always rated low in other markets? Surprises me, given the hype and how famous it’s always been. Though am aware other cities have fireworks and local telecasts AFAIK.

I’d imagine he would have been anticipating something like “Tonight is the only night it’s acceptable to kill a massive bottle of vodka” or something like that.

If I was reading an autocue or cue cards, that’s the kind of thing what I’d be anticipating. He probably didn’t even realise it was about police officers until he line came up on whatever he was reading. It’s just a slip of the tongue, get over it. Interesting how right-wing snowflakes appear to be completely triggered by it.

2 Likes