ABC ME - Programs and Schedules

Happens all the time on ABC3 (ABC ME). Is like the ABC use the downtime to burn up run rights on some programs, who knows?
Really they should fill the downtime with rage all night instead of the one hour they do now with repeating recent episodes.

1 Like

Thanks for uploading that video. Was a good watch.

Yep, as we discussed, its still odd with that anime episode out of nowhere at midnight. Followed by “close”, and what’s the point of that pre-recorded news update at 3.40am?

Why dont they just advertise whats on? Instead of having “close” for the 8 or so hours…

1 Like

I think you might be onto something here. Radiant is the anime in question and is available to stream on iView - note that it is listed as an ABC ME program. A quirk in the licensing deal with NHK?

Still doesn’t explain why they wouldn’t put the program in the guide when they’re only closing down little more than an hour earlier. Has to be plenty of filler available if extending rage isn’t feasible.

This I don’t have a single theory about. I imagine it’s the same update that airs before ABC TV Plus closes down for the night about two hours earlier.

One other observation: there are three separate EPG entries for ‘ABC ME Programs Resume At 6am’, which line up with the timings from the clips above.

10:50 PM - 12:24 AM [94 mins] - 12:24 AM is the end of Radiant
12:24 AM - 3:40 AM [196 mins] - 90-second ABC News update begins at 3:40 AM
3:41 AM - 5:59 AM [138 mins]

This is much more fun than home shopping :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It almost feels like a missed opportunity to extend what I thought was a push to older teen programming on ABC Me (hence things like Rage being on after ~9pm).

Seems like they’ve been burning off Radiant in that midnight time slot (more or less) seven nights a week since November, it looks like - the “watch until” on iView for most of the episodes has a 12.25am timestamp on it which suggests it’s not unintentional - but then the last several episodes were all dumped on iView on New Year’s Eve. Use it or lose it, I guess?

The 3.40am news update thing is positively weird, like they had to feed it somewhere to then update their “News in 90 seconds” page and vodcast elsewhere (ABC News 24 being knee deep in Deutsche Welle at that time).

3 Likes

Worth flagging that it wasn’t the first time it was shown though. Wikis relating to the anime suggested they premiered the dub in the first week of 2021 and ran on Saturday afternoons - so it would be repeat rights they’re burning if anything.

1 Like

Would appear so - coming up to two years then.

Just tuned into ABC Me and they are airing an episode of Radiant again right now.

The ABC has bought the rights to upcoming animated series Summer Memories, which follows the adventures of best friends Jason and Ronnie as Jason looks back on the most pivotal summer of his life (which was just a few weeks ago).

Tonight there is a program airing right after Rage. Never seen this happen before

Tapping the sign once again.

There are very few anachronisms like this left in Australian TV: it’s just one that I can’t understand.

1 Like

Turn Up The Volume

From Friday 24 March 6.00pm

Breeze’s never drummed, Jam and Vivi won’t stop arguing, Ginger hides in her music, too nervous to engage – until her headphones go missing! In crisis-mode, they band together. A rocky start for these rockstars in the making.

Turn Up The Volume is a drama series for ABC Me and ABC iview, co-produced by Matchbox Pictures and Film Camp, about a group of young female and gender non-conforming kids attending a weekly music camp, who decide to form a band.

Desperately looking for belonging, these teenagers find that, via the transformative, uplifting power of music and friendship, they can unite to define themselves on their own terms.

Set in the vibrant suburb of Footscray and inspired by the documentary feature No Time for Quiet, it’s a warm, upbeat series about how creativity can help express your own individuality, the value of acceptance, self-worth, and the genuine celebration of diversity.

Production credit: Turn Up The Volume is a Matchbox Pictures and Film Camp production, produced by Philippa Campey and Rachel Davis and executive produced by Matchbox Pictures’ Amanda Higgs and Margaret Ross for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC). Major production investment from Screen Australia and the ABC. Financed with support from VicScreen. Matchbox Pictures is part of Universal International Studios, a division of Universal Studio Group.

1 Like

No ABC Me logo alongside the screening time?

1 Like

The Age Green Guide this week has an interview with Michala Banas, who stars in Turn Up the Volume.

1 Like

ABC’s favourite were-poodle returns in 100% Wolf: The Book of Hath

Premiering on Monday 1 May, 5pm on ABC ME and ABC iview

Who says werewolves can’t be pink?

ABC and Screen Australia are thrilled to premiere the second series of the animated adventure-comedy, 100% Wolf: The Book of Hath on Monday 1st May, 5pm on ABC ME and ABC iview.

The exciting new series, from Australia’s very own Flying Bark Productions, takes us on more magical adventures with fluffy pink were-poodle Freddy Lupin and his canine/human friends.

They might’ve graduated from Howlington Academy, defeated the evil wilderwolf leader Ric and brought together the human and werewolf worlds in season one, but Freddy and the gang are about to face their most formidable foes yet!

Our heroes go paw to paw with ancient dark magic in an epic battle through time and space to save Milford, werewolves, and the world as we know it.

This 26-episode computer-animated mystery, for 6-10 year olds, is based on the Australian book 100% Wolf by Jayne Lyons and was also adapted into a feature film, 100% Wolf in 2020.

You can join Freddy and his wolf pack every weekday from 5pm on ABC ME following the premiere.

Catch up on season one, 100% Wolf: Legend of Moonstone, on ABC iview.

Production credit : Screen Australia and the ABC present a Flying Bark Production in association with the Australian Children’s Television Foundation, Siamese, Screenwest and Lottery West and Produced with the assistance of Screen NSW.

Executive Producer Barbara (Babs) Stephen, ABC Executive Producer Jo Boag.

Wildlifers!

From Monday 15 May 4.00pm

Go behind the scenes with a couple of intrepid young documentary filmmakers as they ponder life, the universe, and which trees produce the best leaves to wipe your butt with.

Episode 1 – Gatecrasher: Monday 15 May at 7am on ABC iview, or weekdays from 4pm on ABC ME

Wildlifers! mixes real footage from ABC’s extensive catalogue of archived wildlife programs with funny, fictional story telling to create an education and entertaining series for young children aged eight and up.

Su and Pharrell, both 14, are a pair of emerging wannabe documentary filmmakers. At least Su is. She’s a naturalist in waiting. If it swims, crawls, flies or bites– Su can tell you all about it. Pharrell, on the other hand, would probably rather be making real films, you know, with scripts and emotions and actors and stuff - but for the time being shooting tree ants, frill necked lizards, thimble sized possums and the occasional dive-bombing flying fox on his 8k Canon Vixia HF G40 from the safety of a camouflaged hide, is about as close as he is going to get. But what he lacks in interest he makes up for in talent.

Thrown together by Roaring Koala, the production company they’re interning for, they make an unlikely team, as they spend their days, and sometimes nights, crammed together in tents, camouflaged in hides, behind bushes dressed in ghillie suits, or stuck-up trees; sitting, waiting, watching, cajoling, bickering, and occasionally even filming the animals they’ve been enlisted to document.

In the world premiere episode, Gatecrasher, the Wildlifers find themselves in Kakadu for some frills, gills and fruit bat spills.

Production credit: Wildlifers! is a WildBear Entertainment production for the ABC. Principal production funding from Screen Australia in association with the ABC. Financed with support from VicScreen. Distributed by ABC Commerical.

1 Like

New ABC series WILDLIFERS! puts the ‘wild’ into making nature documentaries

World premiere on Monday 15 May, 7am on ABC iview and weekdays, 4pm on ABC ME

What happens when you cross incredible wildlife footage with excellent comedy writing? You get the ABC’s brand-new comedy factual show, WILDLIFERS! Watch the whole series on ABC iview from Monday 15 May, 7am or catch the episodes weekdays at 4pm on ABC ME.

Part real-world footage, part fictional story, WILDLIFERS! follows Su and Pharrell, both 14-year-old emerging wannabe documentary filmmakers.

Su is a naturalist in waiting. If it swims, crawls, flies or bites – Su can tell you all about it.

Pharrell, on the other hand, would probably rather be making films with scripts and emotions and actors and stuff – but for the time being shooting crocodiles, frill neck lizards, battling elephant seals and the occasional dive-bombing flying fox on his 8k Canon Vixia HF G40 from the safety of a camouflaged hide, is about as close as he is going to get.

Thrown together by Roaring Koala, the production company they’re interning for, they make an unlikely team as they spend their days watching, waiting, bickering and occasionally filming the animals they’ve been enlisted to document.

After extensive research into the ABC’s library of wildlife footage to find the most bizarre and interesting sequences of animals in their natural habitats, WildBear Entertainment and the ABC present an entertaining and educational new series for children aged 8+.

Production credit : WILDLIFERS! is a WildBear Entertainment production for the ABC. Principal production funding from Screen Australia in association with the ABC and VicScreen. Distributed by ABC Commercial. Executive Producers Alan Erson, Kate Pappas and Mark O’Toole. ABC Executive Producer Mary-Ellen Mullane. Series Director Isaac Elliott.

1 Like

This is a North American show partly made by Australians. It’s exactly the sort of show that has recently been criticised for using Australian funding to make a foreign show with foreign accents.

Would full ABC3 Stay Tuned episodes be considered lost media?

1 Like

Spooky Files

From Monday 23 October 5.00pm

When the first Spooky appears in the sleepy Australian town of Sunny Valley, it’s up to 10-year-old Spookyphile Bert, his inventive best friend Xena, and his new step-sis Billie, to catch it.

Spooky Files is an adventure-filled, funny, and spooky live-action series, that explores kids’ relationships to fear – with buckets of scares and truckloads of laughs along the way.

When supernatural creatures – nicknamed ‘Spookies’ – start appearing in the small Australian town of Sunny Valley, long-time Spookyphile Bert is thrilled. He assembles the ‘Spooky Crew’, consisting of his best bud (and gadget queen) Xena, his supercool sorta step-sis Billie, and, Derek, their school’s sports captain (an ‘undercover agent’ who keeps his Spooky beliefs a secret).

Their mission: to capture the Spookies, figure out where they’re coming from, and safely return them ‘home’ – wherever that might be!

Production credit: Spooky Files is a Tony Ayres Productions (TAP) and Megaboom Pictures production for ABC and BBC. Major production investment from Screen Australia in association with the ABC. Financed with support from VicScreen and BBC. Producer: Paul Watters. Executive Producers: Tony Ayres, Andrea Denholm, Guy Edmonds and Matt Zeremes. ABC Executive Producer: Margaret Ross.