ABC Local Radio

4 Likes

A possible confirmation of the theory that the ABC is gradually reintroducing the “classic” logo to the branding of all their properties?

I’m not sure whether or not I agree with removing the AM frequency from the station branding. But like the decision to drop the callsigns from the ABC’s local radio branding around the turn of the century, I guess we’ll get used to it.

1 Like

Katherine Feeney tipped to replace Spencer Howson on 612 Brisbane Breakfast

RUMOURS are swirling former Channel 9 journalist Katherine Feeney could be Spencer Howson’s replacement on 612 Brisbane Breakfast.

The former sex columnist did not return to her job at the Nine Network after giving birth to her baby girl, Harriet, with her husband James Mackay in January.

Feeney has recently taken up work at ABC and Confidential understands she’s the main contender to step up to the morning mic.

891 Adelaide drive presenter Ian Henschke to retire

ABC presenter Ian Henschke has announced his retirement after 34 years with the national broadcaster, including six years on local radio in Adelaide.
After presenting 891 ABC Adelaide’s Drive program for nearly a year, Henschke said he wanted to spend more time with his young daughters, as well as write, return to teaching and “do some advocacy work in the not-for-profit sector”.
Ian Henschke’s final day broadcasting for 891 ABC Adelaide will be Friday December 9.

community broadcaster Radio Adelaide has sent documents to the ABC threatening to sue should the ABC change the name of ABC 891 Adelaide to to ABC radio adelaide

Wow. The ABC have gone around and changed the branding of their local radio stations in each capital city across the country for the express purpose of maliciously confusing the listeners of Radio Adelaide into tuning into the ABC.

That sounds like a totally reasonable and not batshit-insane claim to make.

</sarcasm>

What an incredible show of mental gymnastics by these unemployed university students with nothing better to do. The Chief Executive being an ex-Liberal politician, could this be a case of a hidden ABC-bashing agenda?

Fuck em.

4 Likes

maybe but under trademark law you need to actively defend a trademark. if a competitor came along later and called themselves radio adelaide, they could point to them not defending it here and possibly win

This is no different to Kiss FM defending their TM from KIIS. Which ended up in ARN coming to terms with Kiss FM.

2 Likes

Hey, looks like I was right on the money after all, about ABC returning to the classic logo, as I described in the ABC News discussion! :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is also clearly potential for listener confusion between “Radio Adelaide” and “ABC Radio Adelaide”.

5 Likes

Yep, meaning thousands of people who thought they were getting the ABC end up on a community station. Talk about free exposure!

My two cents overall though, I think it sounds a bit generic. To me, ABC Radio is the suite of stations - Local Radio, RN, JJJ, News, Classic FM. But I guess in this day and age, and with digital radio, it makes sense to have a consistent nationwide ‘brand’. Every other radio network is doing it

And besides, provided listeners are still getting the programs they want, they probably will barely notice. They still dial up 612/702/774 etc and get exactly what they’re used to hearing

3 Likes

I personally think the ABC and Radio Adelaide will eventually come to some sort of agreement, whether that means a slight tweak to the ABC’s new Local Radio branding (even if only for Adelaide) or something else.

Aside from that, it seems rather logical for the ABC to streamline the branding of the local stations what with digital radio, online streaming and all the rest. People have manage to survive OK with RN, JJ, News and Classic FM having “frequencyless” branding for years, so Local Radio shouldn’t be much different in that regard.

I don’t know why for instance, they don’t go with just “ABC Adelaide” or “ABC Sydney”.

Does the word “Radio” really NEED to be in the ID? We ALL know when we are listening to the radio…
(or I hope).

And as TV is generally referred to as “ABC South Australia” or “ABC New South Wales” particularly for 7pm news.

2 Likes

Some of the social media comments suggest people are distressed that local radio in regional areas will cease to exist.

Dawne Smith What does this mean? Will ABC Ballarat still be here?

Matt Eliason ABC News Unless you live in a regional area?..Already we have to put up with programming that while it mentions regional, is very city-based.

Dear ABC. Please explain. Does this mean we will lose Radio Western Queensland, Capricornia etc?

2 Likes

I can understand why there might be some confusion but the video on the ABC News Facebook page and the press release about the change made it clear that it only impacted the capital city stations

2 Likes

Here’s the official Press Release from ABC Radio regrading the Rebrand. You can view it here, and download the Sneak Peek Video: A Refreshed ABC Local Radio for 2017

Updated names for ABC Radio in capital cities include:

ABC Radio Adelaide (previously 891 ABC Adelaide)
ABC Radio Brisbane (previously 612 ABC Brisbane)
ABC Radio Canberra (previously 666 ABC Canberra)
ABC Radio Darwin (previously 105.7 ABC Darwin)
ABC Radio Hobart (previously 936 ABC Hobart)
ABC Radio Melbourne (previously 774 ABC Melbourne)
ABC Radio Perth (previously 720 ABC Perth)
ABC Radio Sydney (previously 702 ABC Sydney)

1 Like

How to botch an announcement 101. Nice job ABC.

They seem to be renaming everything at the moment. ABC3, News 24, Local Radio…

Can’t wait for the announcement of ABCJJJ -________-

2 Likes
1 Like

Spencer Howsen made no announcement about his future on his last breakfast show this morning.

Despite expectations…

Here we go re. Radio Adelaide:

1 Like