ABC Local Radio

Spencer Howson leaves ABC breakfast as rivals pay tribute

The stars of Brisbane radio have briefly put aside fierce commercial rivalries to pay tribute to the city’s longest-serving breakfast host, with one competitor even crowning him King.

ABC Breakfast listeners woke up with regular ratings leader Spencer Howson for the final time on Friday as breakfast foes from Nova, Hit105 and Triple M, with some relief, said goodbye to him.

Could this rebranding with the removal of the frequencies from the station brand have something to do with the rumored move of ABC Local Radio over to the FM band?

I don’t know about elsewhere but in Melbourne where would they go to on FM? As it is I don’t think there’s any room on the dial for a metro wide service. I think Smooth FM got the last available spot in Melbourne?

I can’t really see Local Radio go to FM in the cities though I realise in a lot of country areas and in Darwin they already are.

There was a rumour about Classic FM going digital only to free up frequency for local radio. Since I heard that there was the announcement regarding the changes to music on RN so perhaps that was the substance to the rumour. Not sure of the benefit of being on FM though when more and more digital radios are appearing especially in cars.

So could this mean for instance that “ABC Radio Melbourne” might be heard on both 105.9 and 774 (with Classic being digital only)?

And that 774 might eventually be switched off or used for something else?

774 has such a wide coverage I can’t imagine ABC relinquishing that in a hurry.

4 Likes

If ABC Local Radio does move to FM- unlikely imo- we would possibly see the emergence of a BBC Radio 2 type format with much more music and less political content. With RN moving towards 100% “intelligent speech” in the new year akin to BBC Radio 4, perhaps this stratagem is indeed kicking about the corridors of 700 Harris Street.

1 Like

There’s 96.1 but I think that’s for community.

Was previously used for the Lion FM TCBL, but at low-power - it’s only 0.2 MHz from Geelong’s 96three FM

The same for all the large metro 50kw stations. ABC local radio doesn’t really need an FM frequency because of its mainly talk/news/sport format so it would be a waste of a frequency especially if there was an AM simulcast.

Just announced this morning:

More via abc.net.au.

Well that renders part of the plot behind ‘Tomorrow When The War Began’ useless.

1 Like

I remember listening to the ABC’s Sydney shortwave station VLI back in the 1980s. I’m not sure when it closed.

1 Like

Interesting how this be interpreted against the ABC Charter provisions

6 Charter of the Corporation

(1) The functions of the Corporation are:

(b) to transmit to countries outside Australia broadcasting programs of news, current affairs, entertainment and cultural enrichment that will:

(i) encourage awareness of Australia and an international understanding of Australian attitudes on world affairs; and

(ii) enable Australian citizens living or travelling outside Australia to obtain information about Australian affairs and Australian attitudes on world affairs; and

1 Like

ABC Summer Line-Up on Local Radio includes William McInnes, Josh Zepps, Liz Ellis, Tim Brunero, Marc Fennell, Myf Warhurst and Zan Rowe.

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/abc-radio-warms-summer-0

1 Like

Jon Faine celebrates 28 years with the ABC and 20 years hosting mornings on 774 Melbourne today, his final show of the year. It will be broadcast from M’Pavilion at St Kilda Road, Southbank.

ABC radio brisbane have announced that Craig Zonca will be taking over from Spencer Howson in breakfast next year.

2 Likes

He will do well. Looking forward to listening to him ony morning commute.

The name didn’t mean anything to me but if you want to listen to what Craig sounds like, a clip has been posted

My high school captain, formerly known as Zinger to his mates (loved his Zinger Zip Off pants)…

1 Like