ABC Local Radio

The new weeknightly rural affairs program to air on ABC Local Radio in regional areas at 6:05-6:30pm & later repeated on RN in the new year will be called “The Dirt”.

Madeleine Morris (7:30 reporter) presenting a national programme 11 - 1pm today from Melbourne. Sounds good so far, good combo of serious and light and fluffy.

Second week of Summer programming and in Queensland - there is a Statewide Morning program now with Annie Gafney and Statewide drive program being done by Loretta Ryan.

Saturday Morning will continue to be Ashwin Segkar who has been in for Rebecca Levingston for the past month.

According to the EPG:

National Friday and Saturday evenings will be Tatjana Clancy (former Double J lunch producer).
Weekend Nightlife will be with Helen Shield.
Saturday and Sunday 10am - 12pm will be national with Lisa Pellegrino.
Saturday Afternoon will be with Tim Brunero.
Australia All Over will be with Scott Lamond.

He does not have a voice suitable for radio presentation. Is this a ploy by the ABC to up their diversity quota?

It seems like Melanie was doing this from Sydney at least one night when I listened last week because she kept giving out the ABC Hobart number for the quiz instead of 702. For the midnight quiz on the weekends, this is the Hobart number too with Helen Shield presenting from Tasmania.

It’s great to hear Helen still doing radio. I was friends with her when she did the 96five breakfast show years ago in brisbane.

2 Likes

ABC Local Radio Drive is coming out of Melbourne today (as the phone and SMS contact numbers end in 774).

All Mt Nadi ABCs with breakdown message this afternoon.

2 Likes

Big thunderstorm thru Brisbane tonight has knocked 612 ABC off air. No other ABC service affected. Emergency warnings will go out on ABC RN until 612 comes back on air

3 Likes

Don Knight filling in for Susanne Hill on National Nightlife.

With some very colourful callers…

1 Like

Gerard Wheatley has announced he is leaving the ABC to go and work at SEN as the chief sports caller and breakfast host

5 Likes

Please keep this thread to discussions as to how this affects the ABC and use the Pacific Star Network to discuss his role with his new employers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

well thats lost me to ABCs cricket coverage

1 Like

Wow, big hole up fill there. Sad he couldn’t say good bye on air but that’s life.

2 Likes

More pressingly, with the Sydney test on Thursday who steps up to take his place? Moore? Middlemas? Ali Mitchell (who still is working with the BT crew from England)? Clinch? Hull?

Big loss to the ABC. Whateley is a versatile caller. Big hole to fill. Perhaps the ABC can lure Francis Leach to return as chief AFL caller?

Clinch is the producer so maybe Hull will make a comeback.

I’ll say that Matt Clinch is the new main guy for AFL/cricket.

2 Likes

What about Dan Lonergan?
The ABC is very short of experienced commentators with Tim Lane and Gerard Whateley on commercial networks. They may even have to hire freelancers for their Commonwealth Games coverage.

1 Like

Considering they got rid of him during the cutbacks, it’s hard to see him rejoining the ABC