ABC Local Radio

It must be said when cricket is on ABC Local Radio, PM and The World Day are both only 25-30 minutes long. The change will make it permanent. Also, pushing back Drive to 4pm will make it easier to compare ratings with FM stations which often have their Drive shows at 4pm.

Except if anything they are competing with commercial talkback stations. 3AW and 2GB for example have their drive shows 3pm.

That said, the extension of ABC local drive programs to 6:30pm could work well as currently (continuing the 3AW and 2GB examples) there is only Sports Day and Money News after 6pm on commercial stations and PM is particularly dry radio for people commuting home that time of night that might want something a bit more casual yet still informative.

1 Like

What time does Drive start in other areas? Here itā€™s always been at 4pm to 6pm.

In mainland capital cities (exc Darwin) + Newcastle, Gold Coast & regional areas of NSW & VIC, it airs at 3-6pm.

2 Likes

Righto, both Tassie ones have always had it 4 to 6 because of the Country Hour from 12 to 1.

Iā€™ve never understood why metro stations stopped 3 to 6 drive home. Last I remember on Nova was Akmal, Kal and Ed

3pm is too early, itā€™s good for shows like Carrie & Tommy though. Itā€™s good Fox and ABC are pushing drive back to 6.30.

And a Radioinfo article about the changes: https://radioinfo.com.au/news/lineup-changes-abc-local-and-regional-radio-2018

4 Likes

The ABC cuts the 55 mins PM to 30 mins, then fills the gap on regional stations with a new current affairs program. Huh?

Ugh 612 has lost a listener. Rebecca is a twit.

3 Likes

Red Symons to be replaced by Sami Shah and Jacinta Parsons. I think only regular ABC listeners would know who they areā€¦

Richelle Hunt replacing Clare Bowditch sounds good.

Interesting Melbourne keeps breakfast from 5.30 and mornings at 8.30 plus the local ā€˜Conversation Hourā€™ at 11

1 Like

Massive changes ahead.

ABC Regional Radio 2018 line-up

ABC Regional is extending and consolidating its Drive programs in Queensland with three programs to be produced from the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast and Cairns. The Drive shows will extend their broadcast from two to three hours from 3.00 pm to 6.00 pm weekdays, and each program will have two producers.

Queenslandā€™s five Drive programs will be consolidated to mirror regional Drive programs across Australia. NSW currently has two and VIC, TAS, SA, NT and WA each have one Drive program.

Matt Webber will continue presenting Gold Coast Drive. Regional Drive will move from Brisbane to Maroochydore and be presented by Sheridan Stewart covering the Sunshine Coast and the remaining state-wide audiences.

Townsville Drive presenter, Pat Hession, will present Mornings for Townsville during the new timeslot of 9.00 am ā€“ 11.00 am from July 2018. While Pat is on leave, Andy Toulson will present Mornings for the first half of next year.

The Drive presenter for Cairns, Adam Stephen, will cover northern Queensland. Early Morning Country with Michael Clarke will air across regional Queensland from 5.00 am ā€“ 6.00 am and will be produced in Townsville.

Gold Coast Breakfast Presenter, Bern Youngā€™s program from 5.00 am ā€“ 6.00 am will continue to broadcast to the Sunshine Coast.

Regional Australiaā€™s Drive programs will be followed by a new 25-minute regional current affairs show. The new conversational-style program will analyse the latest regional and rural news from around Australia, and will also provide information on the key local stories from around the nation.

2 Likes

I predict 612 wonā€™t share the ratings success of the past with these new timeslots and announcers. 2 up at breakfast just seems very ā€œcommercialā€

2 Likes

Few points from my perspective.

I doubt few people listen to the entire hour of PM or The World Today, Iā€™d usually listen in the car and drop in and out, when the only provider of long form radio current affairs in the country cuts their two major programmes in half that is a massive loss to hearing stories from around the country and the world.

For Redā€™s replacements here in Melbourne, I didnā€™t think they worked when they were on earlier in the year, individually Sami and Jacinta are great so it may be case of giving them time, but I donā€™t see Melbourne waking up to them in 15 years time. When Iā€™m barely conscious at 5:40 in the morning, Red was perfect, donā€™t want two people yapping at me at that hour. A double header in a 2 hour and 15 minute programme is too much.

Changes around the country donā€™t bode well for Melbourne whenever Jon Faine leaves or is given the same offer as Red.

1 Like

I used to listen to the full PM program on a daily basis. I moved a couple of years ago and now my commute from work is significantly shorter than what it used to be, so I have much less opportunity to listen to the full program in the car.

I think a half-hour PM/World Today could work well, in the same vein as the current AM format. However, what Iā€™m not a fan of is the more conversational/live cross approach proposed for the programs. Iā€™ve had the chance to tune in over the past couple of months, and it sounds like PM is trying to pilot the live-cross style before the scheduling changes take effect next year. Not a fan. I know itā€™s early days, but the live crosses sound stilted and overly scripted.

With no disrespect intended to Dominique Schwartz, Mark Colvinā€™s ability to blend pre-prepared packages, pre-recorded interviews, and live interviews was engaging and seamless. I hope Dominique finds her stride in the months to come, but Iā€™d be lying if I said I wasnā€™t nostalgic for the Colvin-era PM.

Itā€™s such a shameā€¦ Rebecca Levingston is someone who is completely unable to talk in full sentencesā€¦ she talks inā€¦ little three wordā€¦ bursts while herā€¦ brain tries toā€¦ catch up withā€¦ what sheā€™s saying.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/major-changes-to-abc-radio-brisbane-for-2018-20171206-p4yxga.html

1 Like

Dave Oā€™Neil will host breakfast on ABC Radio Melbourne from next Monday (December 11) for the next month, before Sami Shah and Jacinta Parsons take up their permanent spot. Steve Martin will fill in for Jon Faine on mornings also from next Monday.

1 Like

ABC Summer Programming has begun.

In Brisbane - Kelly Higgins-Devine is filling in for Craig Zonca, Maria Hatzakis is filling for Steve Austin on Mornings and Aswin Segkar is in for Rebecca Levingston on weekends.

National afternoons is coming from James Valentine in Sydney until Christmas and National Evenings is with Melanie Tait from Tasmania.

4 Likes

Lumping Newcastle in with the regionals? Only one statewide drive show outside of Newcastle and Sydney. Itā€™s a good listen.