ABC Local Radio

Libby Gorr will present her Sunday morning show for 774 Melbourne and ABC Victoria from the start/finish line of Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road cycling race for the first time. It’s from 10am to midday tomorrow at Eastern Beach at Geelong waterfront.

1 Like

Anthony Frangi, the GM of 4BC during its recent ratings and staff decline was filling in for Amy McDonald on ABC Gold Coast whilst Amy filled in on weekday shifts over the ABC’s summer holiday season.

He was once a program manager of Coast FM (as it was then known) in the mid 2000’s.

I am surprised the ABC re-hired him having last worked at Fairfax/MRN.

What if our politician’s advisors were young people?

Wednesday 3 February at 12.05pm AEDT on Country Hour on ABC Local Radio & live video-streamed on Facebook.

New voters speak, leaders listen: Sussan Ley, Richard Di Natale, Darren Chester and Penny Wong ask questions of voting #FirstTimers at Heywire Youth Issues Summit

Join federal politicians Penny Wong, Sussan Ley, Darren Chester and Richard Di Natale as they ask first-time regional voters at the Heywire Regional Youth Summit what is important to them ahead of the federal election.

On Wednesday, February 3 from 12.05pm AEDT you can listen to this unique event on a special national Country Hour program on ABC Local Radio hosted by Lucy Barbour, and in an ABC first you can watch the conversation on a live video stream on ABC Rural’s Facebook page: ABC Rural

We want audiences to join in the conversation too so we’ll be taking questions live from online viewers, utilising Facebook’s new Q&A tool. Use the hashtag: #FirstTimers

What does the next generation need from its federal parliamentarians? What is life really like for young people in regional Australia? Is there a future for young rural and regional leaders in country towns?

From social inclusion to access to jobs and education, the impact of drought and the future of farming, it’s an opportunity for our leaders to ask young Heywire winners - many of whom are first time voters - about issues that matter to them.

Listen:
The #FirstTimers Q&A will be broadcast on Wednesday February 3, between 12.05-12.50pm on ABC Country Hour on ABC Local Radio or via a live radio stream.

Watch:
Live via ABC Rural’s Facebook page: ABC Rural
Visit ABC Rural on Facebook to see a live video stream of the event from 12:05pm AEDT. Share it with your friends and get involved by posting your questions for your young regional leaders.
The program will also be on ABC iview after the event.

Tim Cox has departed 612 ABC Brisbane. The station had been announcing that he was on a break and also stated that his future long term had not been decided. (It’s been reported that he could be returning to Tasmania.) In the interim, Kat Davidson will be heard on his regular weekend shift.

Thats a shame as he is one of my favourite presenters. I met him at Northlakes at the end of 2014 when he returned from Hobart after only a few months. Bit strange if he did return there as he mentioned the weather wasn’t to his liking.

774 ABC Melbourne is broadcasting its programs from State Library of Victoria in Melbourne CBD from today until next Monday, while the Southbank building undergoes electrical work.

Seems strange Scott Rollinson returned to the Studio to Host National Grandstand after he hosted Tasmanian Grandstand and around the grounds duties for the Tasmaina v Victoria Sheffield Shield Match before and after the 2pm-4pm National Grandstand live from Bellerive Oval.

Didn
t hear today’s programme but it’s not unusual to have Grandstand hosted from sports venues. Last Weekend Corbin Middlemas hosted from a basketball match and a few weeks ago Andrew Moore was at the Rugby Sevens.

ABC Newcastle mornings presenter Jill Emberson has revealed she has ovarian cancer and has been off air since two weeks ago: article

Herald Sun reports today ABC has changed its AFL radio commentary team. Alister Nicholson, originally from Tasmania, will move from Brisbane to Melbourne to call Saturday night matches with Kelli Underwood, and Sunday afternoon games with Adam White. Kelli had been based in Sydney for the past two years where she called home matches of the Swans and GWS Giants, while also being part of Back Page program on Fox Sports.
Gerard Whateley and White will continue to commentate the Friday night and Saturday afternoon matches in Melbourne.

I assume Nicholson will also do Storm and Rebels home games when commitments allow such as last Sunday Night.

Speaking of Storm games, they are never broadcast on 774 ABC Melbourne even on the days there are no AFL or A-League matches, forcing fans to listen to them on digital radio and online. If the NRL wants to raise popularity of the sport in Victoria it needs a station which will broadcast Storm matches every week on analogue (like 3AK in the 1990s) and have Melbourne-based callers too.

The time pips have stopped for some reason on ABC Northern Tasmania.

How many ABC stations still use the time pips? I don’t think any in QLD do

I know 97.3 ABC Illawarra (& presumably other regional NSW stations) doesn’t use the time pips. As far as I can remember (which was earlier this month), 1233 ABC Newcastle doesn’t use them either.

I don’t know if it’s still the case, but 666 ABC Canberra uses the ‘old’ time pips, which was used by 2BL/702 ABC Sydney until about a decade ago.

I’m pretty sure that the Digital/Online/Satellite feed (where alternative programing is heard instead of Sport) of 702 ABC Sydney also doesn’t have the TOTH pips, not sure about AM.

774 ABC Melbourne still uses the time pips.

I’m surprised that anywhere uses them especially in areas that have DAB+ and the more common use of streaming and the delays that that implies. On 612ABC, whenever there is a contest that requires listeners to call through, there is always a specified time given for the contest rather than “ring now” It is then often mentioned that this is because of the delayed signal for DAB+ and the web stream.

1 Like

Off topic I know, but both 2GB and 2UE still run TOTH pips on both analogue and digital as far as I’m aware. I think 2CH got rid of them with the recent rebrand, but before that they were running on both 1170AM and the DAB+ channel.

whenever I switch for the news 774 isn’t playing them. Esp during Faine.