ABC Local Radio

That was precisely the point I was trying to make. I agree that the notion of “Northern Victoria” is a fluid one, though. Then again, why not just call the area around Wangaratta “Legends, Wine & High Country” (remember those signs)?

What makes you think that? It could’ve easily been a technical fault or some emergency maintenance.

On air or social media explanation from ABC Brisbane would have been good on the day.

ABC Grandstand will have an all-female panel today at 1pm AEDT to discuss women in sport as part of the ABC’s initiatives to mark International Women’s Day next Wednesday. It is hosted by Chris Bath (ABC Radio Sydney evenings host), Seven’s Johanna Griggs, Ash Hewson (captain of Australian women’s rugby team Wallaroos) and Lynne Anderson (CEO of Australian Paralympic Committee). It is the first time Bath and Griggs appear together since Bath left Seven in July 2015.

Sad no Bec Wilson. Vale Bec.

At least in Melbourne this evening the cricket’s been on local radio 774 and Grandstand digital., plus Extra.

Probably a little late now, but the ABC - Radio Adelaide dispute has ended, with ABC now using the name “ABC Radio Adelaide”.

A few presenters have been heard correcting themselves on air, seemingly having gotten used to “ABC Adelaide”.

On digital radio, the screen still says “ABC ADELAIDE” too with a nice big ABC Adelaide logo on the slideshow. I don’t know if I’d like them to change it though, because the way things stand it sits as the first station alphabetically (a purely personal preference).

5 Likes

Disappointing, the community station stood to win but have gone for saving money.

Yeah, I don’t think they’ll change the station name on DAB+. Currently being away from the city I’m not in a position to check at the moment but the last time I checked Sydney DAB+, the station name was “ABC SYDNEY” probably due to character limitations.

1 Like

Radio Adelaide got very close to death last year, I didn’t expect them to fight this too hard.
The report said that they came to an agreement. This might include something useful for the community station. I can think of a bunch of things which the ABC could do which would help RA, which wouldn’t particularly cost the ABC much.

1 Like

Is there now no audience opinion segment on Brisbane breakfast? Used to be called the Cereal Box during Spencer’s show.

Correct 612 have wanted it gone for years. Spencer argued to keep it often.

Some other segments seem to have gone as well like the endless talk about train timetables and which trains were on time plus flight delays at the airport (though these might have move to earlier times when I haven’t listened.).

1 Like

Shame, there’s less discussion of local matters this way. Cut it back, quality over quantity, but don’t can it altogether. The better shows evolve rather than chop/change.

Yes, this was boring. Spencer was a train tragic.

Phil Dando is retiring from ABC Radio where he commentated matches of the former National Soccer League and the A-League since 2001. The 64-year-old former Liverpool, KB United and New Zealand goalkeeper has taken up the job of coaching Maitland Magpies in the Northern NSW NPL.

Tomorrow (Thursday) morning Red Symons will broadcast his breakfast show from Bureau of Meteorology office at Melbourne’s Docklands, to celebrate World Meteorological Day.

1 Like

You can listen to ABC North Coast (Lismore) via the ABC Emergency stream:

If you listen via other means than the ABC radio website, it’s one of the itinerant streams. If you work out which one, please post it here. Thanks.

http://www.abc.net.au/res/streaming/audio/aac/extra.pls is the direct link to the ABC Extra stream - here’s a list of all ABC streams.

The Intinerant One stream is carrying one of the Queensland stations (ABC North Queensland?) - http://www.abc.net.au/res/streaming/audio/aac/itinerant_one.pls

1 Like

Long time ABC sports statistician Jack Cameron has died aged 93, Gerard Whateley revealed on radio this afternoon. Cameron had been keeping numbers during ABC’s coverage of VFL/AFL matches and cricket matches in Melbourne for many years. Very sad news.

##abc Podcasts launches Dear Science

Your scientific ‘agony aunts’ have arrived – whether you asked for them or not

How would the world’s agony aunts respond to real people’s questions if they had the backing of real science? That’s the task that ABC science journalist Bernie Hobbs and research chemist Dr Alice Williamson have taken upon themselves in their hilarious new podcast, Dear Science.

Bernie and Alice take real letters written in to advice columns in magazines and online, and answer them again – but this time through the lenses of science (and humour). With the help of hard research, expert analysis and a whack of good fun, our scientific agony aunts are writing back to the world’s troubled souls one letter at a time. Can quantum physics solve a long distance relationship? Do bad dreams really mean something? And what does the scientific literature have to say to a Libran who had a brutal year?

Dear Science launches by tackling ‘Fetishes’ and ‘Pet Names’: first up, can fetish research help raincoat-lover Peter? And second, how does science navigate the intricacies of naming rights if your terror of a sister-in-law bans your preferred doggy name?

These are real people’s problems answered with real science. “No one’s actually asked us for help with their problems, but that’s not stopping us from butting in with the best advice evidence can give,” says Bernie. “It’s one thing to get advice from a dream analyst, Alanis Morrissette, or let’s face it – a regular journo in disguise. But at Dear Science we take real people’s real problems and we try to help them by asking, what would science do?” says Alice.

More than 200 people enjoyed a sneak peek of Dear Science when it previewed during the World Science Festival in Brisbane last month. Bernie and Alice tackled problems from the audience and Twitter live on stage, including tips for kids getting noticed in the classroom (wear green!), the science of biscuit dunking and how to handle a podcast addiction (they were no help).

If you have a query that needs the #DearSciencePod treatment, send your questions to Bernie and Alice on Twitter at @DearSciencePod.

Subscribe to Dear Science via the ABC Radio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your favourite podcasts.