ABC Local Radio

You could probably do similar things with ABC Radio at Katherine and Tennant Creek, as well as Nhulunbuy to help compensate for the loss of Radio Australia.

Katherine (639) and Nhulunbuy (990) might need to change frequency to avoid cochannel interference with Spencer Gulf North and Rockhampton possibly. And that 639 is a bit too close to 657.

The ABC switched off its shortwave radio service to remote parts of Northern Australia and the Pacific for the final time today.

ABC announced this morning it would have live radio coverage of the four-test cricket series between India and Australia, with the first test starting in Pune next Thursday. The matches will be broadcast on ABC Extra on Digital Radio, online and via the ABC Radio app.
IIRC ABC did not broadcast Australia’s last tour of India because of rights fees demanded by Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and logistical issues.

4 Likes

I can somewhat understand why only on digital - although , massive loss for regionals - but why Extra and not the dedicated station Grandstand, which aside from weekends has next to no live sport?

Digital radio in Canberra has ABC Grandstand but doesn’t have ABC Extra, I wonder if they’ll make an exception in Canberra and put the cricket on Grandstand.

Presumably because the series will clash with weekend fixtures in other sports due to time zones?

I’ve noticed a few times lately that our local ABC has been named on air as either “ABC Radio Northern Tasmania” or once “ABC Radio Launceston”. I thought the regional ones weren’t getting rebranded, is it just confusion?

It was mentioned by the official ABC Radio rebrand announcement that regional stations would be rebranded later in the future.

1 Like

ABC Radio promos promoting the brand as a whole have started airing on ABC News24. Was this the case as well before the January rebrand? Seems like a new thing.

What was it being identified as before?

Northern Tas.

Anything but Northern Tas will alienate the NW towns who remain parochial and consider themselves separate to Launceston.

1 Like

From next weekend they’ll be clogged on weekends with Super Rugby this weekend (starting Friday) and the NRL a week later (Thursday-Sunday games). Easier then I suppose to have it all on one digital channel rather than chop and change.

1 Like

ABC Local Radio Bendigo now calling themselves “ABC Radio Northern Victoria”

No Brisbane news room news on ABC Brisbane since 11am.

Midday was from the Gold Coast newsroom, Charmaine Kane.

Since then, from Radio Australia.

1 Like

That’s a strange move; I would classify Bendigo and the Goldfields area as Central Victoria. To me, Northern Victoria describes the area between Echuca and Wangaratta, centred on Shepparton.

a name that just rolls off the tongue :dizzy_face:

That would be more North East Victoria or Goulburn Valley. :wink:

A blanket title like “Northern Victoria” could imply pretty much anything from Mildura down to almost the Melbourne metropolitan area.

In fact if you look it up, the state electorate “Northern Victoria Region” pretty much covers from Mildura across to Albury Wodonga and down to Melbourne.

“Central Victoria” would be more appropriate for Bendigo

3 Likes

Hence 3CV AM 1071.

1 Like

And BCV8

Bendigo is the definition of Central Victoria. Bizarre the ABC station on 91.1 from Mt Alexander doesn’t call itself that

Was it for most of today? If so, that shows the Brisbane newsroom is short of staff and the management is to blame.

1 Like

For the afternoon.

1 Like