ABC Local Radio

Building on @TVHead’s idea above to solve this: move parliament to Local Radio on AM with regular programming uninterrupted on FM (the ex-ABC Classic frequencies) + DAB.

2 Likes

There are some great ideas being bandied about on here and I’m enjoying reading them.

What’s the bet that the ABC consultants’ review comes up with absolutely none of them. In fact nothing at all other than the most minor of tweaks.

6 Likes

AM/PM/The World Today can move to NewsRadio.

He’s my proposed schedule after the merger:

ABC Local Radio
Weekdays:
5:30am-8:30am - Local Breakfast
8:30am-11am - Statewide Mornings
11am-1pm- National Midday program (with opt-outs for rural/local content)
12:30pm-3:30pm- Statewide Afternoons
3:30pm-6:30pm- Local Drive
7:30pm-10pm- Statewide Evenings
2am-5:30am- National Overnights

Weekends:
6am-12pm- Statewide Breakfast/Mornings
12pm-2pm- Roy & HG (Saturdays), Editors Choice (Sundays)
2pm-4pm- Statewide Weekends
4pm-7pm- Statewide Weekend Afternoons
7pm-10pm- National Evenings
10pm-2am- National Nightlife
2am-6am- National Overnights

ABC NewsRadio
Weekdays:
5:30am-6am- AM
6am-9am- News Breakfast
9am-9:30am The World Today
9:30am-10am- World Business Report
10am-2pm- Rolling news
2pm-3pm- Parliament Question Time/Rolling news
3pm-5:30pm- News Drive
5:30pm-6pm- PM
6pm-7pm- Australia Wide
7pm-8pm- Conversations
8pm-9pm- News catchup
10pm-12am- Late Night Live
12am-5:30am- RN Podcasts

Weekends wouldn’t change a great deal apart from the inclusion of AM/PM but maybe ABC’s AFL/NRL coverage could be moved there.

3 Likes

Interesting setup. The Local Radio setup looks very similar to what we get in Tassie.

Would it be worth considering moving AFL/NRL content to a new Sports oriented RN?

With Cricket also played out there…

1 Like

This is a good start.

Yes I agree, we need an equivalent of BBC R2 here in Australia.

3 Likes

I don’t think local radio should have any national programming, it defeats the purpose, that’s what RN/NR is for.

1 Like

It is already on newsradio.

I feel like AM/PM/The World Today is fine on Local Radio - they are a good length for non news junkies to get the latest stories without overwhelming them.

Personally, I’d go a bit more like this:

ABC Local Radio
Weekdays:
5:30am-8:30am - Local Breakfast
8:30am-9 am - AM
9AM - 11am - Local Mornings
11am - 12am - Conversations (with opt-outs for rural/local content)
12pm - 12:30- The World Today
12:30pm-3:30pm- Local Afternoons
3:30pm-6:00pm- Local Drive
6:00pm - 6:30pm - PM
7:30pm-10pm- Statewide Evenings
2am-5:30am- National Overnights

Ive added AM / TWT / PM, as well as Conversation Hour (my preference is that this is gone completely - it doesn’t really fit on my preferred version of news radio, so it would have to stay on local radio, but it gives a convenient opt our for the country hour)

I’m also not a fan of statewide shows on local radio - it might be fine for Tas and Vic, but in other states the distances are too great for this to work (driving Brisbane to Cairns is only about 80 Km shorter than Brisbane to Melbourne)

I feel like a statewide evenings is somewhat acceptable, but still not fantastic. a national overnights is not great either, but the economic reality is that its not viable for a statewide overnight show.

On newsradio I would not have late Night Live (once again it doesn’t fit with how i see NR).

i would leave AFL / NRL on local radio as on AM on newsradio they will broadcast the “other” code (AFL into QLD and NSW, NRL into other states). this is great for fans of the other code.

I’d also be trying to find room for shows from providers other than BBC and NPR (but i would keep newshour and all things considered)

I’d be looking at Radio NZ, deutsche welle (they carry limited DW programming on the weekend) , the CBC and NHK - adding some variety and different viewpoints.

2 Likes

We need something like BBC 5 live. Live news, live sport, live talk.

1 Like

Are there enough presenters especially ones who are willing to do 2am-5:30am?

Nightlife/Overnights has a large following and I think they’d be quite a bit of pushback if it was moved to NR/RN, does it have the same coverage range?

Also you’d be diluting the audience and which might make a statewide/local Nightlife/Overnights pointless unless they have something better to offer than the familiar hosts.

3 Likes

Australia is big enough for statewide overnights.

2 Likes

Programming Changes should consist of for ALL 8 Capital City Stations;

Breakfast 5:30am till 9am including Early AM 6:05am till 6:15am & AM 8:05am till 8:30am.
Mornings 9am till 12pm
Statewide Evenings 7pm till 11pm Monday to Thursday. NSW/ACT 1 Program. All 7 programs run for full 4 hours.

Weekend Breakfast 5:30am till 10am
Statewide Weekend Mornings 10am till 12:30pm. NSW/ACT 1 Program. 7 Programs.

AFL/NRL Coverage Starts 12:30pm

AFL/NRL In Season National Weekend Afternoons 12:30pm EST/EDST till 3:30pm EST/EDST
AFL/NRL In Season National Weekend Drive 3:30pm EST/EDST till 7pm EST/EDST

AFL/NRL Off Season Statewide Weekend Afternoons 12:30pm till 3:30pm. NSW/ACT 1 Program. 7 Programs.
AFL/NRL Off Season Statewide Weekend Drive 3:30pm till 7pm. NSW/ACT 1 Program. 7 Programs.

National Evenings 7pm EST/EDST till 11pm EST/EDST Friday to Sunday
National Nightline 11pm EST/EDST till 3am EST/EDST 7 Days a week
National Overnights 3am EST/EDST till 6am EST & 7am EDST. 7 Days a week.

I agree with Merging RN and Newsradio as per mentioned in this forum call it ABC National.

3rd Talk station call it ABC Radio Extra has Parliament programming, Overflow sports programming, Overflow Local Radio & ABC National programming and Overflow ABC Music Network programming.

1 Like
3 Likes

ABC Melbourne’s Friday Revue will broadcast from Narre Warren on April 21.

This week on ABC Melbourne, Mary Gearin is hosting drive until Thursday while Dylan Lewis fills in for breakfast today and Thursday. Andrew Hansen hosts Afternoons from Tuesday to Thursday.

2 Likes

So according to news.com.au 936 ABC Hobart is now 940 ABC Hobart plus they switched to the news radio 5 minute bulletin not the Victorian one.

Heard this live Loretta Lohberger did a great job of keeping it together

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/radio/longest-10-minutes-of-radio-excruciating-abc-hobart-news-bulletin-derailed-by-technical-issues/news-story/15461d3f3b8599911336abd354fb6d53

2 Likes

The presenters doing national overnights are fantastic. It definitely feels like one big community tuning in of a night time.

2 Likes

According to the various EPG guides…Good Friday line-up on ABC Radio:

Breakfast - Paul Culliver
Mornings - James Findlay (Darwin)
Afternoons - Lish Fejer (Canberra)
Drive - Lisa Pellegrino

And on Easter Monday:

Mornings - James Findlay (Darwin)
Afternoons - Joel Rheinberger (Hobart)

Likely regular or Statewide Breakfast and Drive for Easter Monday.

A few other presenter movements at the moment:

• Toni Matthews will be filling in on Sydney Mornings on Thursday and all of next week with Sarah on holidays.
  • Dom Knight presenting NSW Afternoons at the moment with Josh Szeps on holidays (including broadcasting at the Royal Easter Show tomorrow).
  • Simon Marnie filling in on Sydney Drive this week and next.
  • James O’Brien presenting Saturday Breakfast this week in Sydney.
  • Renee Krosch has been filling in for Suzanne Hill on Weekend Nightlife the past couple of weekends and continues this weekend.
1 Like

Missed that one this morning, poor thing. One that I didn’t comment on at the time because I didn’t want the presenter getting in trouble but I’ve heard her several times on air again lately but there was an f-bomb dropped a month or two ago during the country hour in Tassie. They tried to cross to the newsroom at 12:30 but then there was nothing so they went to from memory the weather cross and then they went back to the newsroom where the reader must have thought they were off-air and said something like “I’m so f’in sorry.” it was hushed but then they said they were on air and she was straight into the news. Didn’t hear her for a couple of days.

There’s quite a big following on Facebook for the Nightlife and the Overnights programs and it’s definitely a big community where people regularly check in or ask about various people and some of the people have been calling in for years - like Tom from Delaware and Emily the Duchess of Dubbo, two of the big names who haven’t been around for a while lately but are often given updates about how they are.

As for the shows themselves, I do enjoy them hearing bits and pieces overnight - Trevor’s session on Mondays where they have people ring in with questions about anything and the origins of things and people answer is brilliant and then Rod Quinn is great but I wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of him.

3 Likes

Weekday line-up on ABC Melbourne this week
Breakfast - Dylan Lewis (Monday-Thursday), Charlie Pickering (Friday)
Mornings - Ali Moore
Afternoons - Andrew Hansen (Tuesday-Thursday), Jacinta Parsons and Brian Nankervis (Friday)
Drive - Mary Gearin
Evenings - Casey Bennetto (Monday-Thursday), Sirine Demachkie (Friday)
Nightlife - Philip Clark (Monday-Thursday), Suzanne Hill (Friday)
Overnights - Trevor Chappell (Monday-Thursday), Rod Quinn (Friday)

Ali Moore hosted mornings as usual on ABC Melbourne, followed by Brian Nankervis from 11am to 3pm (AFL coverage commenced at 2pm for analogue radio across Victoria).

Virginia Trioli returns to ABC Radio Melbourne on Monday.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CrDUWvMvv1c/?hl=en

2 Likes