A-League Rights 2021/22 - 2025/26

I doubt they’ll put a job listing out for resumes sadly… I’d be the first to apply!

That statement is a bit confusing. Will there be a special deal that will reduce the $8.99 per month cost, or will there be a special deal of $8.99 plus the cost of a football package? If it’s the former then everyone whether they are a soccer fan or not will be trying to sign up to Paramount+ at the reduced rate, you would think.

1 Like

New Zealand’s broadcast rights to be confirmed in the coming months:

As part of this transition, the APL will start producing Paramount+ gameday content, from commentary and camera vision of matchdays all the way to a free-to-air A-League panel show.

The shift towards direct control over the programming helps to assuage the concerns of moving to an inexperienced broadcaster. But it also further develops the sense of a genuine partnership between the two parties, which may bode positively for the long-term future of the game.

…this new broadcast arrangement offers a glimpse of what a new era for the sport may look like.

We’re about to witness independent club control, all the way from the boardroom to the broadcast, and the potential new relationships that opens the door to.

So in essence, 10 and Paramount+ are broadcasting it, nothing else?

Similar to how the Supercars rights deal currently operates (Supercars Media produces the broadcast but some Fox & Seven talent feature in it), 10/Paramount+ might have some sway in who’ll be involved with the coverage

1 Like

… it just goes to show how much broadcast regulation was thrown out with the introduction of the Broadcasting Services Act in 1992 … previously no entity other than the licensee could exert this level of control over what was broadcast … it certainly “opens the door”, but to what is a serious question …

2 Likes

One A-League game on Saturday and one W-League game on Bold on Sunday afternoons isn’t exactly groundbreaking but it’s still a bit better than what they had before with Fox.

Ideally it should be two A-League games (Friday/Saturday nights) on 10/10Bold and one W-League game on 10Bold. But at least this time they would be monetising through Paramount+ instead of putting on a Fox simulcast that directs any money made to Fox instead of ViacomCBS ANZ.

3 Likes

Agree that one A-League match on Ten on Saturday night, and one W-League match on Sunday arvo on Bold isnt the best. Probably slightly better than the deal currently on the ABC, which is an afternoon A-League game on Saturday, with one game on Sunday arvo for the W-League. At least Ten has their Saturday game entirety in primetime.

Depending on a starting time, why is the W-League on Bold, and not on the main channel? Sunday afternoons are just mainly repeated cooking and lifestyle shows on Ten. Surely a W-League game can start at 3pm and finish at 5pm, in time for Ten News at Five.

Channel 10/ViacomCBS will have to fight with Optus and BeIn Sports though to get rights to the Overseas Football Leagues though.

After 10 announced that it had acquired A-League and W-League rights, fans quickly put up a list of commentators and experts they want the network to sign up. The names offered include:

Simon Hill (now at SEN 1170 Sydney)
Nick Stoll
Adam Peacock (now at Fox Sports)
Tara Rushton (now at Fox Sports)
Francis Awartefe
Mel McLaughlin (now at Seven)
Santo Cilauro, Sam Pang and Ed Kavalee (hosts of Santo, Sam and Ed football podcast)

2 Likes

Anything that ends the awkward banter between her and Fergo on Seven News Sydney would be good.

Aren’t all three already (somewhat) associated with Ten as regulars on the popular Have You Been Paying Attention?

1 Like

Yes but not exclusively on Ten as Sam Pang is on the Front Bar on Seven

4 Likes

Sam Pang is contracted with 7. Had 7 got the rights they would’ve fronted a show.

How is this different to other bought content?

We are realistically not that far away from a “broadcaster” in a traditional sense being cut out of the whole process and the sports controlling the whole process (even broadcast, via streaming)

4 Likes

… let me give you an example … when Broadcom was established to buy up sports rights and on-sell them to broadcasters, they tried to use contracts to dictate every aspect of what went to air - including the timeslot … I had a “come to Jesus” moment with them over basketball in Canberra when they tried to threaten us with breach of contract if we played a movie longer than two hours on a Sunday night that would mean that the telecast of the game started after 10.30pm … the ratings for the basketball were atrocious so I was actually doing the opposite … I threatened them back that if they were to take any such action they would be threatening our licence to broadcast as we would have ceded “control” to a third party under the “ownership and control” clauses of the Broadcasting Act at that time … they had their legal department check and backed down and I got to schedule it whenever I chose … now, of course, I don’t know the detail of the soccer contract, but I’d be prepared to bet that something similar is at play …

… absolutely … so who does a viewer complain to if they’re unhappy and who and how does the ACMA sanction a “breach” of any kind … it’s a can of worms that current legislation doesn’t cover …

1 Like

But the adverts meaning it gonna be a whole lot a mess and probable pushing it back, for this to happen they will need to try hard to build its audience possible.

That’s a shame

Why?