A Current Affair

I did have to double take when I saw him. Ally was grilling him. Which was kinda awkward. It’s like telling an idol off…

4 Likes

Yes it was awkward… I felt she went too far on the dinosaur question. She basically asked him the same question 3 times.

But I guess she knows her audience lol

3 Likes

Was this about the voice questions??

Imagine if Grimshaw was still on with Ray Martin on the hot seat.

1 Like
1 Like

Did Nine just break the no advertising black out by allowing Linda Burney to wear a “I’m voting yes” badge on air and Jacinta Price wearing a vote no tshirt?

1 Like

The Broadcasting Services Act 1992 as amended earlier this year defines a referendum advertisement as the following:

referendum advertisement, in relation to a referendum, means an advertisement:
(a) that contains referendum matter (within the meaning of the Referendum (Machinery Provisions) Act 1984) that relates to that referendum; and
(b) in respect of the broadcasting of which the relevant licensee has received or is to receive, directly or indirectly, any money or other consideration.

Unless Nine were receiving money or other considerations from either side, it isn’t an advertisement and so is allowed under the Act. My further guess is that any attempt to prevent someone from wearing a shirt or pin for either side would be considered suppression of free speech, but I’m no legal expert.

1 Like

Other considerations is surely free advertising in primetime on the most watched current affairs show?

Nine needs to be receiving the considerations for it to be considered an advertisement, not the respective campaigns.

1 Like

Interesting.

I see it as breaking the blackout but if they haven’t broken the law then that’s fine.

According to the act, to be considered a political the broadcast has to be “at the request of another person”.

“Only political matter that is broadcast at the request of another person is subject to the requirement …”

2 Likes

And I would assume that Nine invited Linda Burney and Jacinta Price onto the show, which would mean that they are not subject to the requirements attached to political matters.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/tvtonightau/status/1719961630665216109

I am not aware of the full story here, but if they trespassed onto his property, him being put on the spot like that doesn’t necessarily equal being “willing” IMO. He could have declined to comment, of course, but with a reporter and camera operator in his face I can imagine he probably just spoke out of panic.

3 Likes

Deb added that after taking a break, she would return at the end of November to host the summer edition of ACA. She would still host the Saturday version of ACA next year and fill in for Ally when needed.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Didn’t he also work on Today Tonight during the 2000s?

1 Like

Gerry Harvey getting free advertising time on 9’s ACA tonight… well, what a surprise! :rofl:

1 Like

Tuesday 28 November
Deb Knight hosting tonight.

4 Likes

Strangely in some markets Nine ran a promo with Ally on the end board. But I also saw one with Deb previewing the night.

Wednesday:

3 Likes