90s sitcoms

For some reason, “Home Improvement” was rarely seen again on TV after it’s original run in the 90s on Seven. Dont know why, it was a great show though.

4 Likes

I don’t think that is true, I recall watching repeats here and there, at one stage on weekday mornings, and in the afternoons, although was not repeated as long as Friends has in the past decade across Eleven, GEM and Peach.

4 Likes

I remember around the late-00s it would get put on during the summer non-ratings at around 5pm, But when you compare it to other 90s sitcoms which have had many prolonged stints in reruns here (Freinds, Seinfeld, Raymond) it has been invisible. It’s surprising it never found a spot on one of the multi-channels.

2 Likes

What about other 90s USA sitcoms family matters, hanging with mr cooper ,Caroline in the city,news radio 3 girls a guy and a pizza place,Roseanne,Mel rose place,Beverly hills 90210 and proberbly other shows long forgotten.

1 Like

Aired on 7mate at some point

Should be 2 Guys and a Girl, But that aired on 10 about a decade ago

Was a launch program on 11 before it was taken off. It came back in 2018 when the series came back but was quickly pulled after the comments were made by Roseanne.

Also had a run on 11 at varying points. Though that is more a drama than a sitcom.

2 Likes

What about Just Shoot Me?

Most of the aforementioned sitcoms could find a place on 10 Peach’s schedule.

1 Like

It was last on 7flix somewhat recently

2 Likes

Australian sitcoms from that era are even rarer as far as repeats go.
Haven’t seen any of these on TV since the 90s either:

All Together Now
Col’n Carpenter
Bob Morrison Show (though it wasn’t very successful)
Let the Blood Run Free (even less successful - only lasted 3 episodes I think!).

And of course ‘Hey Dad’ will never be screened again.

3 Likes

Yep, For whatever reason, they never kept Australian sitcoms in the schedules once they concluded. The comedy shows on the ABC had a much better chance of getting a re-airing but aren’t sitcoms. Just look at how many times the networks have dusted off the Kath & Kim re-runs when one of them has the broadcast rights. Or how many times the ABC re-aired the first Chris Lilley series.

3 Likes

No i think it ran for two seasons. Maybe not a huge hit here but it was a hit in Europe, apparently.

4 Likes

Yes it was two seasons. Ten screened the first season in prime time but ratings dropped really fast. The second season was commissioned based on overseas sales. I think Ten only screened it in a late night slot.

2 Likes

I wonder how the humour would stand up now? American sitcoms probably played a lot safer than Australian and British ones.

Mother and Son (although only the final two seasons were in the 90s) was repeated a lot and even sold to Ten for repeat screenings. Didn’t Akropolis Now get an airing when WIN was affiliated with Ten?

Could it also be in part a reluctance to broadcast anything in 4:3?

2 Likes

Yes, aired for a time on Eleven 7pm weeknights.

3 Likes

That’s a random thing to air, Did these regional versions of Eleven have other random differences from the metro lineups?

1 Like

WIN’s All Australian News, Days of Our Lives and The Young and the Restless took up the 12-3pm schedule at one point. DOOL and TYATR were eventually taken off but WAAN was at 12pm on Eleven the whole time of WIN’s 10 affiliation. WAAN was also on at 1pm on One/Bold and 11:30 on the main channel as well as on SNOW.

The reason WIN could air Acropolis Now was because the show was produced by Crawfords, which is owned by WIN. Ironically at the end it had a “Australian Television Network” logo what Seven used at the time.

2 Likes

It’s always fun when shows move broadcasters and they keep old-end cards like that.

3 Likes

Was it this one?

Australian Television Network 1989

2 Likes

Yes it was.

2 Likes

Some sitcoms that started in the 1990’s (finishing up in the early 2000’s) have had endless repeats shown on fta over the years - like Friends, Frasier, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Becker).Others haven’t been repeated as much, like Hanging with Mr Cooper, Spin City, Two Guys and a Girl.

ABC has recently been airing Parkinson in Australia on Monday nights. This show was from the early to mid 1980s. Just wish they aired some of their comedies like Mother and Son, and The D Generation’s / Working Dog’s The Late Show and Frontline. I know that’ve aired The Games (with Jon Clarke) in recent years.

2 Likes

As was evident during the DVD box-set era of the 2000s / Early 2010s, a lot of the issues with the series that don’t get re-runs is music rights and other complications as a result of lapsed rights / agreements.

2 Likes