90s sitcoms

That was on iView a few months back as well.

4 of those shows are extremely popular and were among the most popular shows of the 1990s through the early-2000s. Becker would be the outlier as it was nowhere near the force the other shows were and plus it had a lengthy period here when it wasn’t aired on FTA after about 2003 until it was picked up again on Eleven in 2012.

2 Likes

Would repeats of D-Gen’s The Late Show go down well with today’s audience?

1 Like

Only 2 of those are true standouts for me… Seinfeld and Friends… they would probably be among the Top 10 sitcoms of sll time.

I’d personally put Frasier above Friends but I think Friends is the most overrated sitcom ever. Raymond can be good but when it got aired to death of Eleven I got sick of it but its always been one of those shows where if I see it a lot i’d just get sick of it the same thing happened back when Ten was airing it regularly in the 2000s.

2 Likes

Agree re Friends, I never really liked it, but I knew a lot of people who did.

It is a very popular and probably the most popular of the '90s sitcoms since its resonated very well with Millenials. Admittedly I don’t mind the first few seasons but once Chandler & Monica get together I find it goes downhill and the second half of the series is nowhere near as good.

Sadly, I doubt it.

2 Likes

+1.

And what it did for the great Tim Allen and his long relationship with The Walt Disney Company, such as the iconic The Santa Clause.

I swear I watched repeats on like Eleven or Seven in the early 2010s

1 Like

With a bit of editing sure, but we’ve moved in from this sort of humour I hope.

Screenshot_20221121-221036
Screenshot_20221121-221228

1 Like

“WHAT WE NEED!”

1 Like

It has been on 7Flix in the last few years.

1 Like

Some Broadcasters and Streamers don’t like those end cards and have to be cut out completely or replaced with an updated logo.

It’s had its runs on Eleven/Peach over the years. 10 made a big deal about it in 2008 when it got the broadcast rights in a similar way they did the previous year when they first got the Friends rights. That was also a staple for Seven in the early-2000s during summer non-ratings as well.

No mention of Married With Children? It was a decent hit from memory.

Spare a thought for Seven, that somehow lost Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond.
Friends was an absolute monster hit show for Nine. Easily the most successful sitcom here with daylight second. Seven and Ten basically ran dead in that 7:30pm Monday slot.

Do we know exactly how Seven lost Friends to Nine? I still don’t understand.

2 Likes

I did okay for FOX in the US but it was never a monster hit like Friends, Seinfeld, Frasier or Roseane were. I don’t know how it did here but I always got the impression it was popular. It used to run on Go! all the time during the early years of that channel. I feel like it moved to 7mate at some point as well.

It’s crazy how they lost both of them and they both went on to be staples of the networks they moved to. I mean Raymond wasn’t in the league of Friends in regards to its numbers but it was a staple for Ten in the 2000s. Seven never really seemed to get it right with what sitcoms they would pick up from the US as opposed to Nine or Ten who always seemed to make better choices in that department.

Wasn’t it just that Nine got an exclusive output deal with Warner Bros that included Friends.

2 Likes

I think 7 had picked up Friends then 9 signed up Warner Bros rights. Went on to a two-year battle over Friends. Eventually 7 only gained first season and 9 all subsequent ones. So as a result Friends didn’t debut here until 1996, two years after the US.

2 Likes

I see. So basically Seven did not acquire Friends as part of an output deal. So no network had signed an output deal with Warner Bros at the time?

That part i can’t recall specifically. I don’t think Seven had an output deal with WB but someone may know or recall better than I.

I think Seven had the deal with Lorimar Television when that entity was folded into Warner Bros. Nine had the output deal with Warner Bros and picked up a lot of Seven’s hit shows even though there was an unwritten rule in Australian television that another network wouldn’t steal first run product that they’d already been airing when these mergers happened. Friends had been developed under Lorimar.

1 Like