7news.com.au

A lot of news websites have moved away from apps as they are able to offer a more agile, mobile friendly experience from their websites rather than the cumbersome process of keeping apps up to date.

3 Likes
1 Like

Which doesn’t make sense to me at all. Personally, I don’t have time to check news websites throughout the day, but with an app, I can get push alerts sent to me for big/breaking stories and then check out their app to read more.

2 Likes

I’m going to say there are 2 main reasons why:

• page views counting towards Nielsen
  • having to ensure the app is viewable in iOS, Android, different screen sizes etc. It’s just easier to build a mobile site and let the browser do the work.
1 Like

7NEWS.com.au

7NEWS.com.au has climbed another position to the fourth spot in the top news websites in Australia, according to the latest Nielsen Digital Content Ratings (DCR).

With a unique audience of 9,291,214 million, 7NEWS.com.au is up 10.3% month-on-month.

7NEWS.com.au is the number one website with both women and men under 30 within the Current Events and Global News Sub-Category top ten publishers.**

Commenting, Executive Producer 7NEWS.com.au , Phil Goyen, said: “It’s a big number but we never forget that each one of those numbers is a person – on the bus, on the train, at home. We’re here to serve them and grateful to every person who visits us. We’re only 10 months old, so look forward to evolving and experimenting alongside our audience.”

7NEWS.com.au features content from Australia’s most-watched television news service, 7NEWS , alongside a brand-new digital newsroom dedicated to local breaking news and original reporting.

Since its launch in August 2019, ‘The Latest from 7NEWS on Facebook Watch’ has surpassed 100 million views.

4 Likes

FAMILY OF SUSPECTS – A 7NEWS Spotlight investigation

7NEWS.com.au launches bold, new docuseries optimised for mobile phone viewing

Summer of 2005 and the Griffey family News Years’ Eve gathering is in full swing on their large family property.

Mum, Diane Griffey, and her three children were enjoying the night with friends, but there was one person missing from the party – the head of the household, Michael Griffey.

Days later Michael’s body would be found in the garage, in a large pool of blood and covered by a tarp. The successful businessman had been bludgeoned to death.

A trail of evidence and clues would initially put Michael’s family in the frame. His wife, Diane, was charged with murder but those charges would later be dropped. Son, Kenny, was also arrested but released without charge. Then, in a stunning twist, his daughter Cassandra confessed to the murder but police ruled it a false confession.

Fifteen years on, it remains one of the most mysterious unsolved murders in Australian criminal history.

Now, in a major 7NEWS.com.au Spotlight investigation, investigative reporter Denham Hitchcock uncovers explosive new evidence that will blow the case wide open.

“In 25 years of television news I have never seen a story like this. Someone got away with murder despite a crime scene that was overloaded with clues. I didn’t know what to expect when we started, and the audience will walk with us through every twist, every turn and every door knock – in real time as we get to the bottom of one of Australia’s greatest unsolved mysteries.”

The bold, edgy eight-part docuseries which launches in full today on 7NEWS.com.au and 7plus has been purpose-produced for mobile phone viewing, with each episode 10 minutes.

Hitchcock brings viewers into the investigative process as he approaches key witnesses, sifts through evidence and sheds new light on this bizarre cold case.

FAMILY OF SUSPECTS is streaming now on 7NEWS.com.au and 7plus

1 Like

As I have been doing on my BlackBerry 10 since 2013, never needed an app, the browser does it all and even though it’s near on 7 years old, all loads, all quick. Apps are a waste of time to me, walled gardens, this is not the 90’s.

7news.com.au was third most visited news website in Australia last week.

I don’t think the results are accurate, as the ACM websites are grouped, as are the various ABC websites on abc.net.au, but the others are not. The News metro and regional sites which aren’t mentioned should be grouped together as they mostly have the same content. If they were they might make the Top 10? The SMH and Age websites should also be grouped together as most of the content on both is same.

7NEWS.com.au surpasses 9 online:

3 Likes

From Seven:

7NEWS.com.au is now the second most-visited commercial news website in Australia, according to the latest monthly Nielsen Digital Content Ratings (DCR) for February.

With a unique audience of 8,584,206 million, 7NEWS.com.au has risen to the third position in the top current events and global news websites in Australia.

Commenting, Executive Producer 7NEWS.com.au , Phil Goyen, said: “We’re grateful for every single Australian who clicks, reads, scrolls and watches. We are here to provide a service to our audience 24/7 - it’s that simple. Our focus will continue to be building connection, conversation and community.”

7NEWS.com.au features content from Australia’s most-watched television news service, 7NEWS , alongside a digital newsroom dedicated to local breaking news and original reporting.

Since its launch in August 2019, ‘The Latest from 7NEWS on Facebook Watch’ has surpassed 200 million views.

*( Source: Nielsen Digital Content Ratings, Feb 2020 Monthly Tagged, vs Jan 2020 (MoM), vs Jan 2020 (YoY), People 2+, Combined (C/M), Text, Current Events and Global News (Sub-Category), Unique Audience, Avg Time Spent, Sessions Per Person.)

2 Likes

If 7news at some point overtake the SMH/Age with a combined 10.2 million, then I might be impressed.

1 Like

Time on site is waaaay lower though. Are they attracting people, and people not liking what they see?

2 Likes

My first thought too. Thats a significantly shorter read time compared to Nine’s website

2 Likes

Yes but Nine incorporates ALL their online assets. 7’s is just the news offering.

3 Likes

Screenshot_20200406-113529~2

5 Likes

7NEWS.com.au records highest ever audience

7NEWS.com.au has recorded its highest ever audience in March of 11.8 million Australians seeking out trusted journalism and analysis on the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

In just 11 months of operation 7NEWS.com.au has moved to the second most-visited commercial news website in the country, according to the latest monthly Nielsen Digital Content Ratings (DCR) for March.

A record 38 per cent month-on-month growth has 7NEWS.com.au now being visited by almost 1 in 2 Australians.

7NEWS.com.au is now the dominant News website for the key under 30s demographic. Number 1 in both men and women - reaching 72 per cent of the under 30 population in the country*.

Commenting, Executive Producer 7NEWS.com.au , Phil Goyen, said: “ March was a tough month for so many. Our goal was to provide fast and factual information as well as comfort and understanding. We were right beside our audience every step of the way and we will remain there .”

7NEWS.com.au features content from Australia’s most-watched television news service, 7NEWS , alongside a digital newsroom dedicated to local breaking news and original reporting.

Since its launch in August 2019, ‘The Latest from 7NEWS on Facebook Watch’ has surpassed 270 million views.

*( Source: Nielsen Digital Content Ratings, March 2020 Monthly Tagged, People 2+, Digital (C/M), Text, Current Events and Global News (Sub-Category), Unique Audience, Avg Time Spent, Sessions Per Person. Australian Bureau of Statistics, Jun 2019, Estimated resident population by age at 30 June 2018)

3 Likes

Still lower time on site and number of sessions though. People spend 40 minutes longer on ABC News than they do on 7 News.

I had a quick look at the tags in the HTML source between 9now and 9news and they have different IDs. Not sure if the other 9 sites are the same.

2 Likes

Great thing about 7news site is how clear and uncluttered it is I reckon. Terrific result for the team there. 9News is a bit more clunky.

2 Likes

Did anyone watch this and is it worth a watch?

Edit: I just watched it. It was good. But I didn’t like how 7 went about it. I don’t want to give too many spoilers but by the sounds of it this man was a pedophile saying he did some bad things at the beginning but he didn’t deserve this was a little insulting to what he might have done to his own daughter. I can see why prosecutors didn’t go after the daughter after the confession. Don’t get me wrong it was interesting but I don’t know if 7 should have done that whole investigation.

1 Like