7Food Network

Great channel, got a few stuff there on record, I never watched the SBS version… so this should be good fo rme, get some ideas for cooking for christmas.

I can’t see any difference in picture quality between the MPEG4 version running at 1.9 Mbps and the regional MPEG2 version running at 1.30 (if anything the regional one looks better). Should have made the MPEG4 one 720p.

BTW Same feed for both.

Metro MPEG4

Regioanl MPEG2

2 Likes

It’ll be funny if this channel over time, ends up rating better than 7flix!

2 Likes

Why is that funny?

2 Likes

Somehow, it wouldn’t overly surprise me if a particular ex-member of these forums was/is really excited about today’s launch of 7Food Network yet very rarely (or never) watched some of the same content when it was on SBS!

I highly doubt that will happen, at least in the major metropolitan markets where 7Food Network is in MPEG4.

Regional QLD might be a different story though, because it’s apparently a MPEG2 service (or “available on more TVs” as 7Flix said when they switched over to the legacy format after a few months in MPEG4) up there.

7food Network is not MPEG2 in Townsville.
It’s MPEG4 and broadcasting in 4:3 still. Bitrate is around 1.2 - 1.3 Mbps

The audio of the channel is also at least triple the level of any other channel on each of my TVs. Flicking through before with everything at normal volume, suddenly 7food Network is absolutely blasting through the house as you flick past it.

Here’s some caps

Here’s some photos of the info screen on each of my TVs.

5 Likes

Maybe because they think Seven will be ‘unbeatable’ in the ratings?

1 Like

My mistake - the video is MPEG4, I was looking at the audio that is MPEG2 (as opposed to AAC in the metro areas).

Have you checked the aspect ratio on other TVs? I’ve got one tuner here that is also showing 7Food regional in 4:3 aspect ratio but all the others decode it as 16:9.

Yeah, I’ve checked, it’s 4:3 on every set I own.

The aspect ratio settings on my main TV are currently on “Automatically switch Aspect Ratio based on the signal information”, so something has to be wrong on 7’s end.

My TV is reporting the audio is “HE-AAC”.
It’s the only channel that shows this audio format, all others are either “MPEG” (which I’m assuming is MPEG2), or “AC3”.

I’m assuming this is the reason why the channel is infinitely louder than any other. It’s actually very annoying when flicking channels as it is so bad.

That aspect ratio is horrible for far north Qld!

1 Like

Far North QLD is Cairns… I live in Townsville.

2 Likes

For reference: what would you count Innisfail as?

Far North.
The generally accepted definition is Far North is anywhere north of Cardwell through to the top of QLD. North QLD is Cardwell down to Proserpine. Central QLD is Proserpine to 1770.

2 Likes

7Plus’s live stream aspect ratio is 16:9 … is the bitrate higher on the livestream on 7plus than on free to air?

I’m hoping with ‘Ramsay Wednesday’ and just with Gordon Ramsay shows on the schedule in general, they’ll play more of his regular cooking programs as well as the regular ‘Kitchen Nightmare’ episodes. It’s just relaxing to watch him cook… :relieved::plate_with_cutlery:

3 Likes

The Perth stream is H.264/AAC averaging 1.2-1.5 MBit. But the streams have a slightly lower resolution at 504p so not really a good comparison.

2 Likes

PRG looks cool!

12 Likes

Ident and PRG from the NQ feed.

4 Likes

Video bitrates in Townsville tonight:
7HD - 8.19 Mbps
7TWO - 3.81 Mbps
7mate - 2.92 Mbps
7food - 1.43 Mbps (MPEG4)
7flix - 3.08 Mbps
Racing.com - 1.80 Mbps (MPEG4)

2 Likes

This is some of the video info being transmitted on Sunshine Coast mux; notice there is very little info being transmitted with 7Food.:

7HD (6, 60, 61)
Elementary Stream PID 5633 (0x1601) MPEG-2 Video
MPEG Video: Bitrate 15.000 Mbps Resolution 1440 x 1080i
MPEG Video: Framerate 25 fps Aspect Ratio 16:9 Chroma Format 4:2:0
Descriptor: Video Stream Descriptor
Multiple frame rate flag: False
Frame rate: 25
MPEG-1 only flag: False
Constrained paramter flag: True
Still picture flag: False

7Two
Elementary Stream PID 5665 (0x1621) MPEG-2 Video