7flix - Programs and Schedules

I think seven put racing.com out on 78 on purpose to allow for future channels without constant movement of the lcn.

1 Like

I kinda think they might leave TV4ME on 74ā€¦

Though 78 would probably appropriate if they ended up doing that rumoured Chinese language channel.

That would only make sense though if Seven will launch three other channels which is unlikely while MPEG2 is primarily used instead of MPEG4.

If Seven are going to reshuffle their channel lineup, I donā€™t see a logical reason why TV4ME should come before it when currently Nine & Ten have their home shopping channels at the end of their lineups.

I wonder if thereā€™s a chance of 4ME via Seven becoming an MPEG4 channel again when/if 7HD and another new channel is launched? Remember, Prime7 converted 4ME and iShopTV to MPEG4 around the same time they introduced RACING.COM without too many hasslesā€¦

Does anyone know roughly how long it would take Prime7 to get this new channel?

Simple solutionā€¦ Make 4ME appear on 79

The tricky bit isnā€™t the MPEG-4 encoding - itā€™s the mixture of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 on the same multiplex.

Thereā€™s two ways to do that - walling the two off, or stat-muxing both types of video format together. The latter is what Nine are doing with Nine HD - allowing it to increase and decrease its bandwidth usage as needed, depending on the content the channel is showing and the needs of Nineā€™s other channels.

I suspect, but canā€™t check myself, that Primeā€™s current MPEG-4 channels will all be at constant bitrates (Sevenā€™s are), unlike their MPEG-2 channels. Using constant rates is more inefficient and makes it harder to fit in more channels.

That doesnā€™t matter too much when the content is as unimportant as the infomercial channels - but they would probably need to be able to handle the mixture of video formats better than just fixing bitrates if they are going to have potentially 8 channels on their mutliplex and not have it all look terrible.

That said, fixed bitrates are a decent interim solution over not having the channel at all. So my bet would be on 76 being added fairly soon after it launches - but 7Mate going to SD and Prime not adding a HD channel for a while after Seven launch theirs.

In short for that - Prime did add MPEG-4 channels pretty easily, but they also did it in the least efficient manner, so itā€™s not a good indicator on what Prime could do with 76/7HD.

Interesting: I was using an old digital set top box the other day, and it displayed 9Life just fine, but could not show Racing.com or New Channel. I thought they all used MPEG-4 and if you got one, you got them allā€¦

1 Like

Nine Life is MPEG-2 - itā€™s just Nine HD that is MPEG-4 (out of Nineā€™s channels)

Is it just me who expects this channel to light up with a promo loop at midnight?

2 Likes

we can only find outā€¦there will be a window of an hour before Canā€™t Stop the Music is on. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nope still a static screen in Brisbane :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry to disappoint.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a few screens at the playout centre with it sitting on 24/7.

I think 7 will start advertising the new channel next week and will launch it the following week, 18 January, to coincide with the start of the Australian Open.

Surely not unless itā€™s going to provide tennis content - they wouldnā€™t want to draw viewers away from the tennis.

A pop-up channel for the Australian Open then it becomes a 24/7 lifestyle channel like 9Life. Both 7Life and 4ME will be 7ā€™s two lifestyle channels.Lots of guesses in this thread :smiley:

Seven has filed a trademark appliction for 7LIFESTYLE - http://trademarkalertz.com.au/trademark/1738124-7lifestyle

Doesnā€™t mean anything. A trademark filing is them protecting the name from use by others. Could be anything still.

1 Like

While Alan makes a good point about ā€˜7LIFESTYLEā€™ could be nothing more than just protecting the brand name, such a channel would pose a dilemma for Seven. 7Twoā€™s 2016 promotional push has been around their British dramas and lifestyle programs. Seven arenā€™t going to suddenly pull those lifestyle programs from 7Two so if 7LIFESTYLE does eventuate, theyā€™re going to have to find a way for the two to coexist