Urgh another two horrible interviews by Leigh on tonight’s ep with the Treasurer and his Shadow. Dopey devil’s advocate argument of what’s the big deal if Australia’s credit rating is downgraded; dopey argument about whether Scott Morrison likes fiscal stimulus or not. Both questions answered sufficiently by both men, but of course Leigh wasn’t able to move on from her script.

Is such a poor interviewer on the national/public broadcaster’s flagship political programme really a good host?

It’s actually embarrassing. There are 50 other political journos around the country that could do a better job than her.

Stan Grant is filling in for Leigh from Monday.

They should get rid of his token role for ABC News as Indigenous Affairs editor, and have him replace Leigh permanently. Much better suited to the role than her.

1 Like

Sabra Lane should still be at 7:30, hosting, rather than being at AM on radio this year.

1 Like

I often wonder if people like Sabra would rather do radio over television? AM is a high profile programme which does set the news agenda for the day.

1 Like

Stan Grant is excellent as host. Liked the different set up for the interview as well.

How much better is Stan Grant as host of this programme? :+1: Always thought Leigh was poor.

That a different interview set up was trialed tonight perhaps indicates changes to this programme coming in 2017? Let’s hope…

1 Like

Oh wow, how refreshing has it been having some grown up analysis and discussion on this programme for the last week.

What an absolutely vast difference from the usual student-style sniping and superficial understanding of Leigh Sales.

Stan Grant must immediately take over from her in the hosting role.

If the ABC is fair dinkum about providing a quality current affairs programme each night, it will get about organising Leigh’s removal right away.

1 Like

I somehow think that the ABC won’t be removing Leigh from any flagship program anytime soon. Just six months ago she hosted the election coverage and there’s been no significant push from any quarter for her sacking nor any career-damaging scandal.

I get that you don’t like her and her style, but I really don’t think you should be getting your hopes up.

Oh, you’re mistaken. It’s not about anything I like. I don’t ask for anything based on a personal preference - she is simply not up to the same standard as Stan Grant or previous hosts of this programme.

As for her hosting of the election coverage - that was woeful and capped off with a vulgar remark directed towards Kerry O’Brien. Definitely not in any way a success.

In any case, Stan Grant’s poaching by the ABC for a role obviously beneath his capabilities on ABC News, quickly followed up by a stint hosting this programme, with new segment formats being trialed, didn’t happen by accident.

But you’re right, I shouldn’t get my hopes up that the ABC would do something which so blindingly obviously needs to be done.

Oh and she can easily be shifted around to 4Corners, Lateline or Australian Story - they’ll give her a flagship programme.

[quote=“Firetorch, post:50, topic:238”]
I don’t ask for anything based on a personal preference
[/quote]I’ve screenshotted this.

As for her hosting of the election coverage - that was woeful and capped off with a vulgar remark directed towards Kerry O’Brien.
[/quote]Felt pretty mundane and in good spirits to me. She had been broadcasting for seven hours - she was entitled to get a little loose at 1am.

In any case, Stan Grant’s poaching by the ABC for a role obviously beneath his capabilities on ABC News, quickly followed up by a stint hosting this programme, with new segment formats being trialed, didn’t happen by accident.
[/quote]More likely than not, he jumped ship because moving from Sky News to the ABC in any form is a step up the ladder. The amount of journos fleeing Sky at the moment indicates there’s nothing good going on behind the scenes there. And there’s no law forbidding Stan from being utilised in other programmes across the ABC. There’s TV, radio and online for him to appear on. It doesn’t have to be 7.30.

We’re getting dragged into rabbit holes here.

Let’s get back to the big picture.

Stan is a far better host of this programme than Leigh.

Simple.

Where were these rumours? In any case, glad to know I’m not the only one who thinks Leigh needs replacing. Hopefully Stan’s new replacement programme for 7.30 on Fridays is the first step to that happening.

The supers are slightly different now:

1 Like

7.30 studio seen as part of The Checkout last week

2 Likes

7:30 still ugly as ever. Why wasn’t this updated in line with ABC News? So much for a unified brand.

5 Likes

It definitely needs a new logo, opener, supers and theme. The blue they use is too common also, time to use something different like dark purple.

3 Likes

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull speaks with Leigh Sales tonight

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull joins Leigh Sales in the 7.30 studio tonight to talk about Australian values and the upcoming budget.

A lot of angry twittering tonight about John Law’s appearance on 7.30. Half were indignant that he was interviewed at all while the other half were angry at what he said. There also seemed to be an element of surprise that he was still alive :slight_smile:

1 Like