Executive producer 7.30 taking a break from the show to care for his son.

We got some confronting news that our son has had his leukaemia return. I’m going to take time out from work & Twitter to focus on him. The show is in good hands. Appreciate many of you are having tough times - be gentle with yourselves & each other & take care. See you soon.

— Justin Stevens (@_JustinStevens_) August 18, 2021

Wednesday 18 August -
Leigh Sales back presenting tonight.
Special guest is former prime minister John Howard.

1 Like

Leigh Sales is such a piss poor interviewer. I have no respect for Gladys Berejiklian, but badgering her on when restrictions will ease and expecting her to project on the death rate in November is pretty grim stuff. Total dogshit of an interview.

2 Likes

It was really strange questioning.

2 Likes

The whole episode felt really tone-deaf. Swan’s piece about vaccinating children didn’t remotely address the elephant in the room (eg. shouldn’t we prevent children from contracting COVID as best we can). Even Tingle’s opening piece just seemed to hammer home the ‘abandon COVID zero’ agenda. Just bizarre.

The keep doing this to Andrews at the Moment. ‘What’s going to happen in a few months’

They don’t even know what’s going to happen this bloody weekend let alone November.

Mark Santo from 9 has been off his chops this week I’ve stopped watching.

2 Likes

Showing off the ABC’s Sydney centrism + ham-fisted “balance”. No surprises.

Saw this pop up, haven’t watched it yet, Wonder if it’ll make the iview cut.

https://twitter.com/danielbowen/status/1429742041819320329?t=eNTtktRrC6Xobcp_9KuEeg&s=19

Nothing about the uneven Sydney curfew, lack of job keeper, relying on over policing, not addressing the sources of transmission in work places. Sky after dark would be proud.

Was definitely two different takes of the same (or very similar) question. Not quite sure what the intention there was (ie. if it was an interviewing technique or part of the edit that’s gone askew).

What was with the Dan Andrew’s response at the end of the interview? Sorry but a very odd interview tonight by Leigh.

I was in another room however I’m pretty sure she just re-asked the question, trying to trip up the premier.

It was another crystal ball question. However she asked it pretty much the same damn way anyway! I think I heard two different words.

Leigh would be well suited for Qanda. Tingle for 730 Plz Plz

Tracey (ACA) much better interview in comparison. Worth a watch.

2 Likes

They both cut off the person being interviewed ‘in sorry for butting in’ etc really shits me up the wall question after question.

I didn’t have an issue with that part of the interview because it goes to the broader discussion/debate about if you (using the phrase generally) ‘accept’ that ‘COVID zero’ is impossible to maintain, what level of cases/deaths will be ‘tolerated’ is an issue which will need to be addressed. This is especially the case in Australia considering fortunately we haven’t had the sheer numbers of cases/deaths many other countries have sadly experienced.

Not every single thing that can/should be raised in an interview will be raised. It’s just what inevitably happens when you have a limited amount of time.

I would guess the open invitation to Andrews was raised to prevent complaints about 7:30/the ABC being biased in either direction

1 Like

Agree in principle, but Sales’ continued assertion that “people are confused” wasn’t resolved by approaching that question - however valid it might be - in that way. It was presented as a ‘gotcha’ rather than as a genuine line of inquiry: if I’m honest, it read more like a desperate attempt to try and appear balanced.

Yeah, I also felt that assertion (and then repeating it several times) was a really odd way of framing the issue/question.

So why ask hypotheticals then?

Exactly.

And a dodgy edit that inserted a “I’m sorry for interrupting” when she wasn’t, and then repeating that same snippet/question 30 seconds later, makes you wonder what they spliced out. Terribly sloppy work in the edit suite, there.

And then the snarly “oh we asked Daniel Andrews to appear…”

Why, in an interview about the NSW outbreak, where NSW is currently recording 800+ cases for the last three days and which has sparked outbreaks/lockdowns in almost every other state, would Daniel Andrews be compelled to appear? What was the point of that little aside?? Why not every other Premier, but no she decided to make an point of singling out Daniel Andrews?? Pathetic attempt at point scoring.

7.30 should be better than that.

1 Like

Leigh gets too emotional. Perfect fit for Q&A.

7.30 should be better than that.

I hate to to horrible but it was a different 730 with Tingle. It was much more bearable. I have not watched it fully since Leigh has returned. Probably more the interviewing style I can’t stand.

1 Like