6iX Perth

6iX’s Wanneroo FM translator has been knocked out after it was hit by lightning during thunderstorms that went through Perth yesterday (Tuesday 25th February).

3 Likes

You have a photo of it intact from driving by I recall?

This is why you can’t hear us on 105.7FM in the Northern Suburbs.

Remarkably ill informed comments on the Facebook link, most are way off the mark.

No, that was a photo of the DAB+ infill for Perth’s Northern Beaches in Mindarie.

Here’s a Street View image of the transmitter, taken last September.

3 Likes

@crankymedia not executing a Socratic question- one for the archives. Of course Socrates didn’t know the answer to most of the questions he posed :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks, I couldn’t remember and was on a mobile device, more difficult to search.

Very funny @dxnerd, I honestly didn’t know that one.

1 Like

The coverage on 621 would be better within its licence area than 1080 could ever hope for in Perth.

Listeners don’t like flicking even if the outer areas on FM, the AM is too weak beyond the FM coverage, they should’ve gone for 10kW like PR.

PS. can someone put this in the 6IX thread? Just realised it’s more them than Croc

Part of the reason for it is due to the fact that ground conductivity in Perth is poor for AM propagation, due to the sandy soil draining moisture. This is why they, along with the other AM stations, are pushing for a FM conversion.

If 6iX are to convert to FM in the future, I could see Capital/Grant selling it to Nova Ent, who would then relaunch it as Smooth.

3 Likes

I wonder what the chances of that ever happening :thinking:

Low. Kevin and Janet aren’t too keen to part ways with any of their empires.

3 Likes

This weekend, 6iX is doing an “Awesome 80s” weekend.

4 Likes

I had a listen to this on 6IX for a little while today to see what their 80s selection would be like.

Definitely on the softer slower side than say WS/Gold would play … there was no new wave and not much in the way of rock… Only one Chisel song, nothing from the Oils or INXS…

They did play one Icehouse song (Street Cafe)… and with Tina Turner they played one of her lesser known songs (Better Be Good To Me). They also played these that I’ve don’t think I’ve ever heard on WS…

Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometime - The Korgis
Endless Love - Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
Boy From New York City - The Manhattan Transfer

3 Likes

WS did play that song before, although it was a few years ago now during their “80s Lunch”.

As far as Capital Radio Network’s stations go, XLFM/2GN/3GG play a better selection of 80s music than 6iX (as well as 2CA), in which they have “All 80s TGIF” on Friday nights from 7pm until Midnight.

3 Likes

A lot of music there you wouldn’t hear on any other Perth station. I’m surprised 6iX doesn’t do a bit better.

3 Likes

Me too.

However, I’m certain it can be explained by the poor signal of the main AM transmitter.

Listening to their ad breaks, it’s very regional the clients. Small businesses, few national clients and when so, only cheap agency nationwide buys. All down to the signal and lack of audience knowing where the station is.

3 Likes

Their whole brand is very regional. I’ve been saying it for years, ARN should have definitely picked them up or at least got a minor share in the station to bring them across and affiliate with Pure Gold/Classic Hits. Perhaps with the way the media is going, could the laws be relaxed even more to remove the two in a market rule and they could own 96FM, 50 percent of Nova and have minor a share in 6IX?

Brand aside, I think their music is pretty good. Just a shame they don’t have a higher profile.

2 Likes

I’ve always thought 6iX is the reason for ARN making 96FM part of the KIIS Network… to one day have Pure Gold 6iX.

1 Like

Brilliant move & brilliant strategy for 6iX to poach the solid talent that other networks reject.

Great 6IX have hired Chris Ilsley. Disappointing 6PR had no ongoing work for him.

Huge media talent, understands audiences superbly.

1 Like