61st TV Week Logie Awards 2019

Exactly - Gleeson won the award fair and square through running a successful campaign. However, his acceptance speech was self indulgent, rude and lacked ‘situational awareness’

4 Likes

It’s a fine line between being humorous and being smug and I think he crossed that line as his speech went on. As he acknowledged he should have shut up about halfway through.

He makes a valid claim that his show was the most popular of all the nominees. I think the win would have been more questionable had Sam Mac or Costa won, even if it was Eve Morey.

7 Likes

I only saw the second half of the ceremony as the first half clashed with MasterChef, although when MC went to an ad break I flicked across Nine to see what was going on. While the production was good, Pete Helliar’s dress up as a Gold Logie was cringeworthy.
I agree with TelevisionAU’s view on Tom Gleeson’s Logies speech. Had Amanda Keller won her speech would have been more dignified.
Here is an opinion piece from Mumbrella.

I don’t think dressing up was the problem. If he was funny, it could have been brilliant. Unfortunately there was nothing in the slightest way funny in his jokes.

2 Likes

This opinion piece from former The Australian media editor Stephen Brook, who has appeared on the TV Blackbox podcast the last few weeks.

Also like with a lot of things in the Logies, it went too long.

4 Likes

I don’t think Hillier has ever been “brilliant”. I struggle to find him mildly amusing on the rare occasions I’ve seen his schtick. He’d never top the jacketgate piss take of 2017 and it seemed like he was trying to emulate that moment. The costume was dumb and the whole bit was a cringefest, I felt sorry for Amanda Keller having to endure it standing next to him.

4 Likes

Man there is so bigger shit in the world and Tracey ans the goons at project decide to keep adding fuel to this. I would have preferred if Amanda Had one but hey she didn’t and it’s clewelt that the public really went for him to win gold Logie so I don’t understand how the fuck going after Tom is helping the “outrage mob”.

The Tv week Logie awards have never really been prestigious it’s lost its own mojo when giving the gold Logie was just out of potty.

Call me crazy but this has been blown way out of proportion.

2 Likes

It’s Helliar and that was probably one of the funniest presentations at the awards in recent years. We get it. You suffer cultural cringe and therefore you know next to nothing about the Australian television industry. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Disagree. Julia Morris beats him hands down in every appearance she has made in recent years. She got more laughs with a sight gag than Helliar managed during his entire drawn out routine.

No cultural cringe here, mate. I just go for quality over the schlock commercial television dishes up. Wentworth, A Place To Call Home, Mystery Road, The Cry, Bloom and Rosehaven are all Australian productions I enjoyed during the past year- award winning product the commercial networks just aren’t interested in airing.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree with those but there are some worthy contenders on the other networks too in drama and other genres.

If it doesn’t involve cooking and/or people bitching at one another…

i must agree we have the same tastes in some regard. i prefur drama over reality tv any time. the only reason why im watching master chef is cause there is alocal from here in ballarat in it. but in saying that i have also enjoyed what ten has been offering in drama ie five bedrooms and mr black .did u watch wentworth and aptch on foxtel???

I watched the first couple of episodes of Mr Black but it wasn’t my cup of tea. Have heard good things about Five Bedrooms but haven’t watched it. Perhaps I’ll add it to my list. Not a fan of cooking shows but did watch Ten’s Survivor last year because it wasn’t as drawn out as previous years and I was happy to watch a couple of episodes a week.

I don’t subscribe to Foxtel but have access to their productions through family members who do.

1 Like

It got much better as the series went along.

1 Like

Hopefully Jonathan Coleman from Studio 10.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him get behind the channel Ten traffic reporter to try and get her the Gold. They nominate weathermen these days so why not a traffic reporter?

2 Likes

Haha, Vic Lorusso (or whoever does 10 News First Sydney traffic these days) for Gold! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Although if we’re going to suggest that random local news personalities should be up for a Gold Logie, there’s really only one person in Sydney (and on Nine) who deserves the trophy…

1 Like

Mark Burrows. Good choice!

5 Likes

He can start his campaign at next year’s The Sydney Royal Easter Show.

2 Likes