6 News Australia

Hi Leo,

Congratulations on the new addition to your team. I notice that Holly Shields is your only female reporter at the moment. Gender equality is a topic which is getting a lot of traction lately, have you made any moves to try and include more women on your reporting team?

3 Likes

And what qualifications exactly should high school students have?

3 Likes

Sure, but this is a 6 News thread and you replied to a post asking specifically about 6 News.

Aside from being mostly nonsense - defamation law notwithstanding, I can list plenty of male journalists who are ‘qualified’ and hold a degree but can barely function in society let alone report news - one of the reasons we see gender inequality in the media starts at the talent development and training level.

This isn’t the place to go into the nuance of why that is, but it is a fair question. To take the positive angle, there’s certainly an opportunity for 6 News as a training platform (if nothing else) to hook in young reporters from diverse backgrounds interested in media and developing a portfolio from a young age.

4 Likes

I can’t see foxyrover’s comment, was it deleted?

1 Like

Thanks @Ricketycricket - 100%, we really are trying to get a larger team in general (and I should point out most of our team approached me, rather than the other way around) but of course we want female & POC reporters!

I’m not sure what @foxyrover’s comment was, but of course, we want people from all backgrounds as part of 6 News. The only “qualification” we need is that they are passionate about reporting/media. If they’re not serious, we wouldn’t have them as part of our team.

12 Likes

Good stuff Leo. I look forward to seeing your larger team on 6 News in the future :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My comment did not concern qualifications, neither did it actually concern 6 News. I should have put it in another thread.

1 Like

@Leo_Puglisi6 does 6 ever do sports?

They have covered AFL in the past but isn’t something that 6 News focuses on. While sport is important for many it in my opinion is less important then other issues that are more of 6 News’ focus. I personally think sport is covered to death by the media in Australia and it is refreshing to see 6 News take a different approach.

Have you considered using quotas to ensure equal representation?

1 Like

Ah ok. Wouldn’t be hard to do though. Then again, up until recently, Fox News US didn’t so I guess it works.

Yes we cover it, but more from a news perspective - like if COVID is affecting it. Copyright problems on YouTube also affects doing it.

Certainly a possibility in future.

1 Like

In other words, you don’t.

Yeah I thought about that. You could do what lots of international broadcasters do, and use photos only.

1 Like

Oh totally, sometimes even just using stock footage we got (outside the MCG for example)

2 Likes

In general I don’t get how other news networks have this prioritisation of sports - dedicated sports presenters when the main presenters could just present the sports bulletins and cut to a reporter . Thats what I do like about 6, one anchor for everything, not separate anchors for news, sport, and weather

2 Likes

You’ve taken the words right out of my mouth haha

It’s much more efficient for us to have one anchor (whether that’s me, Connor, Darby or even Christian) to do all when presenting - and let the rest of the team focus on reporting.

1 Like

Personally I pay very little (if any) attention to the Sport segment in news bulletins or the Sports pages of newspapers. However a reasonably large chunk of the Australian population is probably quite interested in Sport: What other explanation can there be for Sporting events making up the bulk of Australia’s most watched programs on TV every year + networks paying extraordinary amounts of money for broadcast rights?!

Of course, I think it’s a good thing that Leo is mostly going his own way with 6 News! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

First report from Christian Penny!

4 Likes

Really good report there excellent work . Was there a reason for not having any supers?

Very good. A couple of shots of Christian talking to the camera would have been good rather than it fully consisting of footage from other sources.

2 Likes

There was a minor error in Christian’s report - he said about Michael Daley “since his election loss in 2018…”, however the NSW State Election was actually in 2019.

3 Likes