4K Broadcasting

On a permanent basis? Probably not at least unless/until we switchover to DVB-T2, HEVC or whatever technology Australia decides should be the way to go for 2nd generation digital terrestrial broadcasting.

I know this one doesn’t really count, but there was that 4K channel as part of the trial DVB-T2 broadcasts in Sydney a few months back which contained a loop of content from Nine, the ABC, SBS and NITV.

If anything, I can see there being a further digital restack at some point in the future which will result in TV broadcasters being forced to share two or three multiplexes (similar to DAB+ digital radio) while another block of spectrum gets sold off to the telecommunication companies.

Agreed.

1 Like

Once we’ve gone through launching main channel simulcasts, then turned them into multichannels, then changed them back to main channel simulcasts under the false guise of a law change permitting such to be done, about 15+ years I reckon… :joy:

2 Likes

Would Be really good if channel seven did 4k by the time the 2020 olympics come around. But I doubt that will happen

2 Likes

They could do a trial though?

3 Likes

That would truly be fantastic. I remember NHK in Japan were responsible for recording the entire 2012 London Olympics in 8k!

1 Like

CBS will use 4K and 8K cameras for its coverage of next month’s NFL Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta. Unfortunately, Australia will be stuck with HD broadcast on Seven.

1 Like

Though you have to wonder about the point of 8K given there are very few TVs around that will display 8K, and even fewer 8K broadcasters.

2 Likes

I recall reading a little while ago that 4k allows you to zoom in on an image at HD res, good for replays and a few networks were looking at options around reducing camera numbers by having virtual camera control

5 Likes

Will US viewers even get to see the Superbowl in 4K/8K?

Never know, could be broadcast on Foxtel 4K channel.

4 Likes

normally we get the NFL Network’s horrible Super Bowl coverage, but this year ESPN is sending Jason, Joe and Booger (yes his real name) to do the game for Australia and NZ. If they can source the 4k clean feed from CBS, we might be lucky

1 Like

No, CBS hasn’t announced a 4K broadcast yet. And considering it’s only 2 weeks to go that likely won’t change.

None of the European broadcasters, who like Foxtel have 4K chanels on the ready, have announced anything either. So I expect CBS/NFL Network to only supply a 1080i feed.

2 Likes

Think CBS are using those cameras to enhance their replays rather than broadcasting in those formats

4 Likes

Foxtel began broadcasting rugby union matches in 4K last Saturday, with the Brumbies v Waratahs Super W match and then the Brumbies v Chiefs Super Rugby clash. Foxtel has said it will broadcast rugby union, AFL, NRL and Supercars in 4K during this year. But with most matches happening simultaneously, it will be interesting to see how Foxtel picks the matches for 4K broadcast. I think each sport will only get 1-2 spots on channel 444 each weekend.

5 Likes

Maybe not even that - I’m guessing there’s only one 4K truck, so a typical weekend might see say Super Rugby on Friday night, NRL on Saturday and AFL on Sunday, and the days might swap around each weekend depending on who is playing where and what FOX wants to show.

It may stay in one city for each weekend, For example a Rebels, Storm and an AFL game in Melbourne, then to Sydney the following weekend for a NRL, Waratahs and Swans or Giants game

2 Likes

True, or only go to somewhere in close proximity (SYD to Newcastle, Canberra or Wollongong), as there may not be enough time to pack up, drive from SYD to BNE or MEL and set up again.

Will it mean AFL matches played in Perth (either Fremantle or West Coast) will not be shown in 4K? Fox Sports does not cover matches involving Western Force anymore. It will be waste of resources driving the 4K truck across the Nullarbor to broadcast just one AFL match.

1 Like

Probably wouldn’t be worth driving that far anyway

I agree, I don’t think Perth will see a 4K game anytime soon.

Driving it there and back will take close to a whole week.

2 Likes