4K Broadcasting

I’m pretty sure NEP has two maybe even three

2 Likes

It will be a while before this makes it into homes.

3 Likes

Absolutely, even Samsung’s new 8K TV has a starting price of $8,495 (from Hardly Normal).

And that there isn’t even any 8K content available yet, let alone 16K.

2 Likes

I’m sure the Japanese broadcaster NHK are filming and broadcasting the Olympic Games in Tokyo next year in 8K.

3 Likes

Yet Seven will likely rebroadcast in SD

3 Likes

Didn’t Seven say at last year’s upfronts that it would broadcast some Olympic events in 4K through public screenings?

Though NHK likely won’t be the host broadcaster. OBS (Olympic Broadcasting Services) will be broadcasting the games (as they’ve done since Vancouver 2010).

Seven are pretty good with HD now.

I’m sure any Olympics on the main channel will also be in HD.

Anything on 7TWO or 7mate would still be SD only though.

2 Likes

Foxtel launches its 2nd 4K channel.

2 Likes

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1087915/seven-and-optus-to-show-tokyo-2020-in-4k

Interesting Read. I do like Foxtel which does a good job with its 4K channel, so much more detail!

1 Like

It’s a joke that they’re only allowing people to watch in 4K on Optus 5G and only on Fetch.

The NBN should be more than capable of supporting 4K streams, this just seems like a publicity stunt, a pretty bad one at that, for their 5G service.

The 4K Olympics telecast will only be able to be seen by a tiny proportion of people who can receive the 5G signal, presumably with all other Optus Sport customers IP blocked from receiving the 4K stream.

What an incredible waste of resources to service a few thousand people at most.

5 Likes

I reckon Seven will set up live sites at public places around Australia so more people can watch the Olympics on 4K.

1 Like

Personally I wonder if Seven have considered the idea of running test transmissions (even if only in select markets, like the 3DTV trials were) of DVB-T2 for 4K coverage of the Tokyo Olympics?

6 Likes

Channel 40 was used in 2010 for the State of Origin and the first AFL Grand Final plus some FIFA World Cup matches to broadcast in 3D and again in 2012 for the Olympics.

1 Like

Yes, it is, I have no trouble with 4K Netflix or YouTube, though I’m one of the lucky ones with FTTN right out my front door and typical evening speeds of 93mbps on a TPG 100/40 unlimited plan.

Would be good if they did!

Though I found it hard to receive the 4K trial that was run in Sydney last year on VHF 10, needed a bit of ducting to occur to get it.

3 Likes

This year, for the first time The Super Bowl will be available in 4k. However it will not be native 4k but rather a upcale of the 1080p production from Fox who have the broadcast rights this year.

That’s like saying it’s available in 8K because someone’s TV might upscale it. If random cricket/footy matches can be 4K in Australia of all places, they can do the whole lot in 4K for the Super Bowl.

Fox still being 720p is sad.

6 Likes

I think ABC (the US one, of course) is also still in 720p?

For all the many flaws with HD services on Australian television, at least most of ours are in 1080i!

1 Like

Yeah you are correct. ABC US uses 720p still.