2SM 1269 Sydney

I’d be fascinated what the ratings would be.

1 Like

Does 2SM do any market research or is advertising just sold because of John Laws reputation?

1 Like

Question for our DAB-listening Sydney-based brethren: what’s the go with ZOO Digital?

Despite having a Twitter account that hasn’t updated since 2015, there seemed to be live programming up until some point in the last month or so. The Facebook page has since been deleted and there’s no longer an online stream - is there anything going to air on DAB, or is there an (otherwise not-mentioned) format change?

Wouldn’t be surprised if this is the case, what with 2DayFM’s change in format. Maybe 1SM will make a return?

I can confirm that “ZOO MusicVariety” is still on-air with content here in Sydney right now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

very strange - thanks @SydneyCityTV. Perhaps one to keep an eye on?

1 Like

At the moment I’d just be happy if 2SM on DAB+ had a high quality mono feed because the last I checked (which admittedly was a while ago), you could even hear digital compression on 1269AM if you had decent enough reception! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Yes that’s why I surprised the super network is bringing back am stereo. Quality of audio is not a huge thing with 2sm in general. I give credit to Macquarie radio and 2ch they do a great job.

Ray Hadley wished John Laws a happy 83rd birthday on Wednesday, saying that Laws is the greatest broadcaster he has worked with.

2 Likes

That’s a big compliment from Ray, given he has worked with Alan Jones too.

2 Likes

Ray is actually not as bad of a guy as most people think, when you actually get to know him and earn his respect he is a decent bloke… Most times :wink:

2 Likes

uh ermm uh. Hadley is no Laws.

1 Like

Yeah. Wonder what happen with Andrew Moore, John Gibbs and Andrew Voss with Ray. At the moment I feel that John Laws never totally fell out with as many people to the extent they could not be in the same building with him. Sure John did have his conflicts but not to the same extent as Ray has rubbing a lot up the wrong way
I liked Ray in the early 90s (continuous call team), the show was great. Now days I don’t listen. I am happy he wished John Laws a happy birthday, I hope he is changing and mending some of the relationships that were cut in the past. You are right I am sure there is a good bloke within but when he was very successful beating John Laws, a lot of his colleagues could no longer work with him. This is from an outsider looking in. I am just a radio listener.

2 Likes

I think those 3 are on the barred for life list.

It continues within the 2SM newsroom.

Lack of training, graduate students thrown in the deep end.

Tonight’s is Monique Dias (on air pronounced Diaz).

Young voice and no grasp of correct pause for good delivery nor knowledge of pronunciation of commonly spoken names such as politicians state and federal nor sporting identities. Michael Cheika was a total clanger.

Yes, the young lady could’ve brushed up on her pronunciation, but most of it lies at the foot of those supervising (or lack thereof). Simply not enough mentoring, it’s completely absent.

3 Likes

Monique did have a shocker of a bulletin, read the wrong match report, last week’s match instead of tonight’s.

Gilbert read an email out requesting the correct details as they heard the wrong match during the news. It was such a glaring error, he said he told walked over to the newsroom to tell her.

1 Like

It’s the pauses and context they can’t seem to get right in so many news bulletins these days. I had the extreme misfortune to hear a Super network news update last weekend on 4GY, presumably from Sydney. I was completely gob smacked that it could sound so amateurish and it basically descended into gibberish. She pronounced words incorrectly and emphasized the wrong words in nearly every sentence, making it basically incoherent. A high school student could have done better.

As an aside (ie. Not 2SM) but I also find 4KQ’s Hope Fabilia (sp?) pretty darn ordinary at times in this regard.

2 Likes

Close… Hope Fabillar…

I remember hearing her reading news updates out of 2UE to regional stations back in the late 90s.

I thought she was quite good, she’s obviously had quite a bit of experience reading news.

I had the extreme misfortune to hear a Super network news update last weekend on 4GY, presumably from Sydney. I was completely gob smacked that it could sound so amateurish and it basically descended into gibberish. She pronounced words incorrectly and emphasized the wrong words in nearly every sentence, making it basically incoherent. A high school student could have done better.

Lol. I thought I was reading my own words. lol.
Your summation of the 2SM news listening experience is exactly how I would express it. And this isn’t a recent development either. It’s been going on for ages.
One could ask WHY dear Uncle Bill C employs these people.
Or maybe BC is oblivious to it all.
Yes we know he’s so tight with his pennies. Perhaps that’s the answer.
Cost savings before quality?

3 Likes

Get used to the amateurish sounding news service on Super Network. They’re currently advertising for Cadet Journalists. No doubt they’ll be on air reading bulletins within days of being recruited.

2 Likes

They sound more like work experience high schoolers than cadet journalist.

3 Likes