2CH Sydney

Yes, Jim McLaren was on 2UW. A nice man.

Aaron Wright lost me when he had on that goose Cory Bernardi.

Yes, but Ross had a good bit of pastoral experience and solid credentials as a theologian. He could be more nuanced on air. Of course, there is an element of playing to the audience (and the employer) and the NSW Council of Churches has never been a progressive bunch.

1 Like

I still canā€™t understand why over 25 years down the track the NSW Council of Churches still have a say. Thank goodness we can now listen to 2UE on a Sunday night.

4 Likes

Sadly without Pete Graham.

1 Like

But A Better pick of Classic Hits than 2CH

1 Like

SEN has bought 2CH

2 Likes

And with that, Sydney is now back down to just 1 AM music station (2UE).

Itā€™s quite funny to think that soon after another station with an iconic callsign had returned, this another iconic callsign will soon be gone from the air.

Itā€™s certainly the end of an era for 2CH.

8 Likes

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Surely this will lead to Tim Webster & co. now popping up at 2UE/9Radio Music stations.

Come on 9Radio - hereā€™s your chance to score some good LIVE talent on your stations (even though theyā€™re not contracted to Channel Nine like everybody else).

ā€¦ Iā€™d love to see Tim Webster do a live 2UE/4BH/Magic/6GT breakfast music show ā€¦

RIP 2CH. Welcome SEN1170 and welcome * back to the Sydney radio ratings (I hope Hutchy was paying attention to MSRā€™s ratings performance).

6 Likes

The Writingā€™s on the Wall, it has been for Sometime.

Yeah not a great idea after the disaster that was MSR.

Yet another once great AM station down the shitter :frowning:

3 Likes

I look forward to the Christian Sports coverage on Sundays.

5 Likes

This is certainly a good opportunity for 2UE to pick up 2CHā€™s listeners. They now have a clear run in Sydney and Melbourne (but not Brisbane with 4KQ) if only they can actually capitalise on itā€¦

4 Likes

I think Smooth 95.3 & WSFM would also benefit to a lesser extent.

2 Likes

Sydney hasnā€™t had this many AM music stations since the old Radio 2.

1 Like

Why? Webster isnā€™t exactly catching fire.

1 Like

Finally, a joke of mine that aged well:

6 Likes

So will this just end up being a relay of SEN Melbourne or will it be used for SEN Track?

Appears the plan is 1170 for SEN (hopefully with local content), 1539 for SENTrack

1 Like

Youā€™re ignoring Crocmediaā€™s likely long-term strategy. By establishing a network of SEN stations nationwide, they probably want to get to a stage where they donā€™t have to sub-licence the rights to sports they acquire (eg; NRL & Big Bash to MSR in Sydney & Brisbane)

5 Likes

Long post incoming!

Wow.

While it wouldnā€™t have overly surprised me to hear that SEN were interested in entering the Sydney market or that 2CH would eventually be acquired by another broadcaster, I must admit that the station I was expecting SEN to be interested in was 2SM (donā€™t they carry a fair bit of CrocMedia-produced sport content?) rather than 2CH.

Realistically though, I donā€™t think Sydney was ever going to have 2 commercial AM music stations in this day and age for any extended period of time.

Unless of course, the NSW Council of Churches have again had an influence and written in some clauses into the contract. That may have been one of the reasons why the 2CH callsign wasnā€™t entirely phased out during the shortlived period of the Magic Network having a presence in Sydney.

Indeed. The end of 2CH as we know it will likely also result in the end of Bob Rogersā€™ career in radio? Maybe 2SM (2UE if John Singleton still had his interests in what was Macquarie Radio before Nine acquired it) could be an outside chance, but I canā€™t imagine any other stations being interested in picking up the presenter whoā€™s likely to be the oldest on Australian commercial radio.

As others have already pointed out, hopefully Tim Webster, Trevor Sinclair and other 2CH talent can eventually get a spot on 2UE although Iā€™m personally not holding my breath for this to happen!

I think SEN Sydney will be more successful than Macquarie Sport was (especially if thereā€™s more of a focus on rugby league - a sport this market craves but MSR didnā€™t really deliver coverage of), but certainly not by much!

Agreed, although I personally wouldnā€™t be overly surprised if 2UE, Magic 1278 and 4BH are eventually sold (and probably eventually relaunched) to another niche broadcaster with Nine deciding to focus their attention on the main talk stations.

If anything, I personally think Smooth 95.3 and WSFM would be more likely to benefit from 2CH becoming SEN rather than 2UE. Barely anyone seems to know about the current incarnation of 954AM, unlike Smooth & WS which are routinely given external promotion by Nova and ARN.

Of course, 1539AM (the other Sydney AM licence SEN is trying to acquire in Sydney) is currently running Rete Italia so there arenā€™t any new stations coming on-airā€¦just two being eventually replaced by SEN content.

2 Likes