2CH Sydney

Ironically, LA (and California in general) is probably the least pious area in the US.

Hope 103.2 does a little bit of Christian talk. You also have Vision on 1611 in parts of Sydney and Rhema Gosford puts out a great signal these days. So the Christian market is pretty well catered for already.

5 Likes

If Iā€™m not mistaken, at least one Christian group tried (but failed) to buy 2CH when it was up for sale a few years ago.

I canā€™t receive anything on 1611AM at the moment, so wonder if Vision Radio is still even broadcasting on that frequency for Western Sydney (especially since it seems likely that itā€™ll eventually become SEN 1611AM anyway)?

Either way, I agree that Sydneyā€™s Christian community is already well catered for when it comes to radio.

1 Like

Further to my post above, hereā€™s an interesting map of religious belief in the US, the proxy being the importance of religion in everyday life:

California is among the least religious states per this metric, with the least religious states being in the far NE and NW corners of the country (Vermont is the least religious state of all).

As for 1611 in Sydney, I must admit I havenā€™t checked it recently. I never listen to Vision.

2 Likes

Interesting. That map looks pretty right to me. Iā€™m pleasantly surprised about Montana though being paler than I expected.

1 Like

Yes- Montana is probably one of the most conservative states on and west of the Rockies, apart from Utah.

I forgot the importance of the Hispanic influence in California; they are predominantly Catholics or are at least nominally so. Areas like San Fran and Metro LA (and metro areas in general) are generally less religious than regional areas.

1 Like

But would be unlikely to listen to Christian radio which is predominately evangelical and of course targeted at mainly white and African American audiences.

Yes, though they have their own outlets such as 50 kW KBLA on 1580 which airs full time religious programming in Spanish (as it happens, the most frequent US signal into Australia).

My comment though was directed at the map of religious importance above, not radio per se (though media is what we should be talking about!)

2 Likes

And IIRC 3AK was owned by a Christian group for a few years in the late 90s before it became SENā€¦I donā€™t recall it being a success.

2 Likes

The NSW Council of Churches did express interest in buying it back. My guess is that they couldnā€™t afford it. It is a volunteer run association with very little assets and income. Income last year was just over $39,000, expenses of just over $13,000, with total assets of just over $30,000, according to their report submitted to the ACNC for last year.

2 Likes

look, 2CH is a music station that plays classic hits from the 60s,70s and 80s but itā€™s also a station that has religious shows, segments and christen music shows on Sundays , they even also do these 1 minute religious talks before the news. So I donā€™t think 2CH 1170 will need a change. They have religious things on the station as well.

That slide is (or at least was when I checked) actually something thatā€™s transmitted as part of the DAB+ signal, although only certain receivers can actually display them.

Along with showing the logo and Now Playing track info, other stations utilise this feature to advertise their programs or display content such as News Headlines & Weather.

2 Likes

Thanks Mate

Even with the Low Ratings there having at the Moment due to them not playing Rock Songs.

I miss Gareth McCray, does anyone know what happened to him?

1 Like

Gareth McCray is still at 2CH, currently presenting the Saturday morning breakfast show (6am-10am) if their website is anything to go by.

He may have also filled in on the weekday breakfast show while Trevor & Indira were recently on their non-ratings break (as probably every Sydney breakfast radio presenter was), but I canā€™t confirm that.

1 Like

No, The Duck (Rob Duckworth) filled in on Breakfast while Trevor & Indira were away.

3 Likes

Excellent fill in, he is an evergreen talent. Was he their producer or anchor or somehow involved in the breakfast show?

No, I think heā€™s just station floater, fills in where/when needed?

1 Like

Great floater to have.

1 Like

In fact 2CH believes the 60ā€™s And 70ā€™s Are Classic Hits, Which Techinically isā€™nt Anymore, Here In Australia, The Classic Hits Format is Hit Music From Mid-1970ā€™s To the Late 2000ā€™s, While 2CH is the Last Remaining Commercial Station in Australia still playing Oldies, Because their Drmographics Are 65+ who donā€™t wanā€™t a Shock Jock Style 2GB Station.