2CH Sydney

Looks like a reformat of the graphic. Would of been amazing in 90s and early noughties.

Here’s a clearer photo showcasing (what I presume is new or at least recently updated) 2CH’s usage of program/song info on the DAB+ slideshow:

2CHSydneyDAB%20SlideshowJuly2019

It’d be better if the font for the program text was the same as the “Sydney’s/classic hits 1170am & DAB+” part of the logo, I think.

3 Likes

2CH does’nt always play Classic Hits Of The 60’s And 70’s, they play 80’s, 90’s And some Early 2000’s Plus Christian Music on Sunday’s.

Was in Sydney for a holiday last month, listened to various stations. 2CH would have to be one of the most boring radio stations in Australia. Listening to Amazing Grace and a such is not my idea of good Sunday entertainment.

2 Likes

Aside from the religious themed programs (which I generally don’t listen to), I personally think Bob Rogers’ sleep-inducing “Reminiscing” show on Saturday nights would have to be the worst one that airs on 2CH.

Sure, Bob is a Sydney media icon but they really need to move on from him and put on a Jukebox-themed program or something a bit more upbeat on Saturday nights.

3 Likes

Looking at the playlist for last Sunday, there is Christian music from 8:00 to 9:00am which appears to follow a non music program from about 7:30am, then 8:00 to 9:00pm which is followed by the Christian talk program. So from 9:00am to 8:00pm on Sunday there is no Christian music.

1 Like

Absolutely agree, it’s time for Bob to move on. I believe 2CH intends to keep the Christian content on Sundays but are looking at ways for appealing to a wider audience whatever that may mean.

2 Likes

2CH can’t be Classic Hits and daggy oldies at the same time.

Pick one and stick with it.

2 Likes

How about Lifestyle on Saturdays and A Magazine Style Format During Weekdays like 3AK In the Late 90’s?

Sure! and have no listeners at all

4 Likes

Personally I think 2CH’s “Classic Hits” format is just fine.

If the station can modernise those incredibly outdated programs on the weekend and increase the level of external promotion for the station, it has the potential to eventually grow to around a 5-6% audience share. Not overly spectacular, but probably still enough for WSFM and Smooth 95.3 to think about adding more local shifts and variety to their playlists.

4 Likes

I agree. If 4KQ can be =2nd in Brisbane on 10% beating 2 FMs then 2CH can get a 5 or 6% share with a similar format. Stick with the classic hits and lose the Sunday programs altogether. They must be the only station in Australia to have licence conditions that dictate a format? ACMA bang on about not being in control of formats so it’s time for them to put their money where their mouth is and remove such archaic licence conditions. It’s anti competitive.

4 Likes

Except they have a Long Term agreement with their Traditional Partners, The NSW Council Of Churches, Did 2CH Ever Broadcast Sport including Rugby League During the Pre-FM Radio Days?

Yes- I wouldn’t tweak 2CH’s current format too much. I would move it more towards 2CA by playing a few more rock tracks. Artists such as Led Zeppelin and The Who definitely appeal to the Boomer crowd but you rarely, if ever, hear them on 2CH. It would also give them a little more differentiation from Smooth.

3 Likes

True but hard to imagine if such an agreement is enforceable today. Certainly when Singleton bought the station, in the early 1990s? such an agreement did exist.

To my knowledge they never have. Certainly they have never broadcast the Melbourne Cup and up until recent times they never even mentioned the result.

2 Likes

Here’s what the Future Holds for 2CH, a Station like KKLA-FM in Los Angeles: https://kkla.com/

Again, I have to ask the question: What’s with your fascination about wanting to turn 2CH into a Christian talk station?

I really don’t think the Sydney radio market would be large enough for such a format to be commercially viable.

2 Likes

Unless it’s sold to a Christian group, I don’t think so.

3 Likes

No it isn’t. Australia has not quite turned into little America just yet in terms of religious zealots.

4 Likes