2023 Aussie TV Predictions

OK now this is probably the only potentially realistic prediction I’ve seen!

I think it is already happening as part of the 2022-23 Federal Budget announced in October.

It will probably require separate streams outside the Asia-Pacific region, with the main reason being the AFL match broadcasts. The AFL has individual TV rights deals with broadcasters in Europe, the Americas, Middle East, and Africa.

It is a realistic chance, especially after the recent retirement of 7 News Adelaide’s Jane Doyle.

1 Like

Here are my predictions (many of these are probably more wishes than anything else but it can’t hurt to air them):

Seven:
Sydney and Melbourne news moves to dual presenters on weekdays in line with other states as follows:

• Melbourne: Peter Mitchell and either Jennifer Keyte (poached back from 10 if below prediction comes true), Rebecca Maddern (somebody like Estelle Griepink or Melina Sarris could replace her for weekends) or Jennifer Hansen (this would be a TV comeback following resignation from Smooth)
  • Sydney: Mark Ferguson and Melissa Doyle
    Seven ventures back into tabloid current affairs - either Today Tonight revival or new concept
    Ann Sanders scales duties down to three days per week (presently at 4)
    The Latest actually airs at a consistent time
    AFL games involving Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and/or Gold Coast to air on the main channel into that respective state - this may help to grow the game’s fan base

Nine:
Georgie Gardner and Deb Knight given more prominent roles on national bulletins (what these would be I am not exactly sure) - they are so under-utilised at the moment it’s not funny
NRL games featuring Melbourne Storm to air on the main channel in Victoria - may boost the game’s popularity down here

Ten:
New Adelaide and midday bulletins are a disaster and end up axed within 6 months
10 News First becomes a national bulletin on weeknights presented by Sandra Sully (Perth would get its own owing to extreme time difference - still presented by Sully)
News receives a rebrand (new graphics, theme music etc.)
The Project axed

ABC:
ABC Kids splits from ABC TV Plus to create two separate channels - this would allow the latter to broadcast 24/7

SBS:
SBS World News changes its name to simply SBS News - IMO there’s no real point of difference with them nowadays, as they place just as much emphasis on Australian content as they do international; therefore it is senseless to call them a ‘world’ news bulletin
Dedicated channel launched for foreign language news relays

1 Like

ABC Kids airing classic kids shows from the 90s during primetime hours

1 Like

Now that would be fantastic!

1 Like

Some good predictions, some funny ones, and some that clearly wont happen. I’ve got some more to add:

Seven:
Mel McLaughlin’s banter with any co-host actually gets better (wishful thinking here…).
Hey Hey It’s Saturday Specials to air straight after the AFL Grand Final for exposure.

Nine:
The Footy Shows return bigger and better
Married at First Sight and The Block will have their biggest seasons ever. And even bigger drama and scandals than ever before.

Ten:
Iain “Huey” Hewitson comes out of retirement to host another daytime cooking show
Those unseen episodes of Changing Rooms finally appear out of nowhere.

3 Likes

Now that you can guarantee :joy: (“the BIGGEST season EVER”)

3 Likes

The predictions I came up with for 2023 Australian TV that probably won’t happen include:
ABC TV Plus becomes a 24/7 channel again
ABC Kids moves to channel 25
ABC Radio channels move to channels 200 to 209

1 Like

why does everyone want ABC Kids and TV+ to separate - the current system is working well!

1 Like

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if after the new Studio10 launches in 2023 the ratings stay low or worse and the show is axed .

1 Like

I think 7two would be a better option.
Also, while i think of it, 7two, 7flix, 10 Peach, 9Go!, ABC TV Plus, ABC Me! and NITV move to HD.

3 Likes

I am thinking that Nine Entertainment would buy WIN TV Seven would by SCA in Tasmania and Paramount would get SCA Network in Regional NSW/VIC/QLD/SA, plus ABC will launch a 3pm game show slot which will compete Nine’s Tipping Point and Seven’s The Chase. ABC getting the cricket is waste of taxpayers money and will leave the ABC worse off

2 Likes

Interesting, does it even get a decent audience in regional areas?

It outrates the ABC News channel in regional Queensland. The positions are switched in NSW and both channels are on-par with each other in regional Victoria.

https://www.regionaltam.com.au/upload/weekly-reports/RegTAM-20221204-C3RegFTAShrCons.pdf

2 Likes

low 2s YTD (aggregated markets), which is lifted considerably by Regional Queensland (which is about mid 3s YTD) - it was a lot stronger in Northern NSW in the past, but its fallen back considerably.

ABC News rates high 1s to low 2s fairly consistently across all aggregated markets

I doubt Nine will buy win. I saw an article published just after the 2022 upfronts were nine claims they’re not buying Win.
Also, SCA wouldn’t want to re-enter the northern NSW market. Plus, SCA is trying to exit TV.

1 Like

I’m going to predict a further increase in local sporting events being commentated on “off-tube” and in studios.

Also bucking against the trend and predicting a steady year for 10 News First with a slight increase in Adelaide.

I can’t miss out my chance to talk to Sue and/or Rick during Telethon Perth next year :cry::pensive:

3 Likes

Some more predictions for 2023:
Ten
WIN and SCA news updates are retired as WIN is now owned by 9, and SCA is now owned by 7.
Sandura Sully becomes the new anchor of the Perth bulletin.
Nine
Liz Hayes retires. Under Investigation will now be hosted by Tarra Brown.
Seven
Peter Mitchell retires. Mike Amor and Rebeca Madden become the weekday anchors, while current weekend sport presenter Abbey Gelmi has news reading added to her duty.
Outside Australia
City TV in Canada launches a new bulletin called National City News, hosted by Lisa LaFlame, and will air at 10:30 PM in between CBC’s The National and CTV National News.
TVNZ launches a 4:30 PM bulletin after the axing of Newshub at 4:30 on TV 3.

Happy New years everyone! :partying_face: :tada: :sparkler: :sparkler:

5 Likes

31 December 2023: Newscorp will bag ABC"s New Years Eve coverage.

Hapoy New Year everyone in here.

3 Likes