2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games Coverage

The whole thing is awful. I don’t mind the graphics. The set is a cheap fishbowl. The decals on the floor provide no benefit or design style.

How hard would it be to even make a small soft set as well?

4 Likes

What the hell is that dotty floor? Very distracting.

I call it “waiting for the train”

To be honest the last time Seven had a proper set was Beijing 2008. I can’t find a very clear cap of it but it really shows how downhill it has become.

Rio was this travesty. Which elements we are still seeing today.

I know sets are an expense but surely we can do more than an led wall in 2022

6 Likes

And they were in Beijing at the time. How good was that?

If Seven’s excuse is to cut costs then they’ve got their priorities wrong. A good set doesn’t cost that much, neither is presenting on location. Liabilities like Hamish McLachlan on the other hand are money-wasters.

2 Likes

A virtual set in Sydney and not at Copacabana beach due to security concerns. Tokyo was done remotely as well plus the recent Beijing Winter Olympics.

It was part virtual 2016, the physical elements I posted above…

But I don’t get your points? Yes we know why the sets are in Australia…
But why not invest in some better presentation. That’s my point

Beijing set was amazing. It was exactly what the Olympics are about. Being there to soak up the atmosphere AND a set and graphics package that pays homage to the host nation. Get rid of these video screen sets!! Disgusting. The Channel 7 coverage is the reason why both the Olympic Games & Commonwealth Games are becoming increasingly unpopular in Australia.

Take a look at the Gold Coast 2018 set up Channel 7 had. They had their hosts sit in front of a screen which displayed a whitewash of waves in Surfers Paradise. Absolutely disgusting.

2 Likes

The dots match the dot detail that animates on some of the graphics.

I sorta forgot the games were on, haven’t heard anyone talking about it, haven’t seen any advertising outside of the 7 ecosystem (radio, billboard, sponsored ads etc). Is there much hype about Birmingham?

1 Like

I agree that the bare-bones main set should be better and that more presenting/commentating should be done on-site.

However, the days of a lot of things being done on-site in the Olympics/Commonwealth Games host city are over as a result of networks realising over the past few years (as a result of Covid) that they can save money/resources by doing things like presenting, commentating, producing, etc either entirely or partly at their home base. Whether people here like it or not, the hybrid model is here to stay.

Huh? If that really was the case, the Tokyo Summer Olympics last year wouldn’t have pulled the massive numbers it did day after day, night after night.

I know Seven-bashing is this forum’s favourite pastime as if it’s a sports team people feel they have to hate (though I wish the same level of scrutiny and (when warranted) criticism would be applied to other networks as well). However, there are plenty of legitimate and perfectly valid reasons to criticize them without having to start passing off opinions as objective facts.

6 Likes

And yet 7 seem to regularly win gold/silver/bronze awards for their coverage, along with Logies for outstanding and popular coverage. Clearly some of the views expressed here are not shared outside of MediaSpy forums.

5 Likes

Tonight

7.30pm Swimming Heats: Headlined by Kyle Chalmers and our Aussie men’s 100m freestyle swimmers, we are set for another adrenaline-charged night in the pool. Then, can Emma McKeon become the world’s most decorated Commonwealth Games athlete ever? She takes to the pool for the women’s 50m butterfly heats at 8.00pm.

8.00pm Men’s Hockey: The ever-dominant Kookaburras run on to the field for the first time at Birmingham 2022 to take on Scotland.

8.00pm Para-Triathlon: Our Aussie stars, Sam Harding, Jono Goerlach, Gerrard Gosens and Erica Burleigh, will race alongside their guides at the Commonwealth Games for the first time in the Para-Triathlon.

11.30pm Beach Volleyball: Our Tokyo 2020 women’s silver medallists, Taliqua Clancy and Mariafe Artacho del Solar, return to the global stage to begin their hunt for an Aussie gold medal.

11.30pm Triathlon: Will Australia’s host of stars defend their mixed team relay gold medal?

Tomorrow

2.50am T20 Cricket: Meg Lanning’s team take to the field where they meet Barbados.

4.00am Swimming Finals: With an incredible 11-strong medal haul on day two, our Aussies head back to the pool to continue their gold medal hunt. Tim Hodge and Blake Cochrane are expected to dominate for the men’s events, while Isabella Vincent and Ella Jones headline the women’s.

5.30am Women’s Rugby 7s: After an incredible string of matches in the first two days of competition, you won’t want to miss our Aussie women as they line up against Fiji for the gold medal match.

Monday night

7.30pm Swimming Heats: It’s a huge night in the pool for the Aussies with Emma McKeon taking on our new champ, Mollie O’Callaghan and comeback Queen, Shayna Jack, in the women’s 100m freestyle. Then, Kyle Chalmers and Cody Simpson, battle in the men’s 100m butterfly, before Ariarne Titmus dominates in the women’s 800m freestyle. Olympic champ, Kaylee McKeown rounds out the night in the 200m backstroke.

9.00pm Netball: In a huge challenge, the Australian Diamonds meet South Africa on the court in an all-important match, as they chase redemption after a heartbreaking finish to their Gold Coast 2018 campaign.

10.00pm Gymnastics: It’s day one of the apparatus finals, including five gold medal chances, with gymnasts from England, Australia and Cyprus poised to challenge.

11.30pm Beach Volleyball: Gold Coast 2018 gold medallist, Chris McHugh, and his new partner, Paul Burnett, represent Australia, as they hit the sand to take on Russia.

All times AEST

SEE THE FULL SCHEDULE HERE

2 Likes

Inb4 someone says rigged.

Since Athens in 2004, Seven have a lot of the production including commentators not based at the IBC/host nation, after the digital and HD Docklands facility was set-up. This included Beijing 2008, Rio 2016 and Pyeongchang 2018, Tokyo 2020, Beijing 2022 and Birmingham 2022, apart from the Gold Coast in 2018 which was of course local. All have still had talent and crew on the ground as well.

And if we also exclude Sydney 2000 which was another local, you’d have to go back to Manchester 2002, Salt Lake City 2002 and Atlanta 1996 where most of Seven’s production was based at those events, with the old HSV South Melbourne and ATN Epping facilities not well equipped for such magnitude.

2 Likes

No scoreboard for the T20 cricket

3 Likes

What commentary feeds are they using for the 7+ streams?

1 Like

It’s not like it would take much more than adding a desk to really lift that set.

1 Like

I think Seven uses world feed commentary for 7plus streaming of sports like T20 cricket, gymnastics, weightlifting, badminton and squash, and the network’s own commentators for netball, swimming, hockey and athletics.

1 Like

What does everyone think of the presenters and commentators? I’m watching McLachlan and Gelmi hosting at the moment and I personally can’t stand the both of them. The set is awful too and is completely ridiculous with all the dots on the floor which serve next to no stylistic purpose.

Something else I don’t like is how they show events from the previous day, without any indicator that the event isn’t actually live and has already occurred. Surely a simple graphic saying “Last Night” for example could improve this, or they just show live events uninterrupted without the studio content.

6 Likes

Have been watching the swimming on the 7+ feed and they have the world feed commentators. All of the dedicated sport streams on 7+ that I have watched have used the world feed.

1 Like