2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games Coverage

I couldn’t agree more. Abigail I found irritating and Hamish couldn’t adlib at all. I just found the whole thing awkward.

My nan had to mute the netball commentators last night felt like it was comedy hour. However the diamonds smashed it! Great TV.

I have liked Joe Dry’s interviews though and Cate Campbell.

This is also annoying. I only figured out it was highlights is when they were cutting and the time graphic kept changing.

2 Likes

She’s been excellent, great pick up by Seven.
Georgie Parker’s been alright on the Hockey commentary too, and I’m not a huge fan of her either so at least she’s proving me wrong and enticing the broadcast.

4 Likes

Why isn’t Nathan Templeton involved in the coverage?

2 Likes

Channel Seven just said “coming up next our Rugby Sevens women play for gold” …. They already won the gold medal…

8 Likes

Tonight

7.30pm Swimming Heats: It’s a huge night in the pool for the Aussies with Emma McKeon taking on our new champ, Mollie O’Callaghan and comeback Queen, Shayna Jack, in the women’s 100m freestyle. Then, Kyle Chalmers and Cody Simpson battle in the men’s 100m butterfly, before Ariarne Titmus dominates in the women’s 800m freestyle. Olympic champ, Kaylee McKeown, rounds out the night in the 200m backstroke.

9.00pm Netball: In a huge challenge, the Australian Diamonds meet South Africa in an all-important match, as they chase redemption after a heartbreaking finish to their Gold Coast 2018 campaign.

10.00pm Gymnastics : It’s day one of the apparatus finals, including five gold medal chances, with gymnasts from England, Australia and Cyprus poised to challenge. Clay Mason Stephens will compete in the men’s floor exercise final. Commonwealth Games gold medallist, Georgia Godwin, will compete with Emily Whitehead in the women’s vault final. Jesse Moore will compete for gold in the men’s pommel horse final, while Kate McDonald and Georgia Godwin feature in the women’s uneven bars final. Jesse Moore will also compete in the final of the men’s rings.

11.00pm Cycling (Track): Four gold medals will be up for grabs tonight during the final day at the London Velodrome, starting with Kristina Klonan, Breanna Hargrave and Alessia McCaig in round one of the women’s keirin. Then, Luke Plapp will aim to qualify in the men’s 40km points race.

11.30pm Beach Volleyball: Gold Coast 2018 gold medallist, Chris McHugh, and his new partner, Paul Burnett, represent Australia as they hit the sand to take on South Africa.

Tomorrow

12.30am Cycling (Track): Defending champ, Matthew Glaetzer, will look to turn his luck around in the men’s 1000m time trial – an event Australia has won on eight of the past nine occasions. Then, Alex Manly and Georgia Baker will compete in the final of the women’s 10km scratch race.

4.00am Swimming Finals: Can 2016 Olympic champion, Kyle Chalmers, finally win the Commonwealth Games gold medal in his favourite event, the men’s 100m freestyle? Olympic champion, Kaylee McKeown, could swim successive finals in the women’s 200m backstroke and the 200m individual medley. Can she win double gold in the same session?

6.00am Boxing: Australia’s own Billy McAllister will meet Jamaica’s, Jerone Ennis, in the ring for the men’s light heavyweight.

6.00am Hockey: Our men’s Kookaburras take on Trans-Tasman rivals, New Zealand.

Tuesday night

7.30pm Swimming Heats: Abbey Connor, Elizabeth Dekkers and Brianna Throssell will represent the Green and Gold in the women’s 200m butterfly, before Mollie O’Callaghan takes on the 50m backstroke. Then, will the Aussies qualify for a medal in the mixed 4x100m medley relay?

7.40pm Athletics: In an exciting moment for all Australians, we catch the first glimpse of “The Flying Mullet”, Rohan Browning, in the men’s 100m. Then, tune in to the first field gold medal – the women’s pole vault – which will feature a deep field, headlined by Gold Coast 2018 bronze medallist, Nina Kennedy.

*All times AEST

SEE THE FULL SCHEDULE HERE

2 Likes

The “live” does regularly disappear from the watermark, though sometimes not straight away.

4 Likes

Medal count from 10

8 Likes

Some screencaps of Sky NZ’s studio coverage of Day 4 in the Commonwealth Games; airing on their free-to-air channel, Prime.

6 Likes

Seven showing a flashback to the Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games in which the Diamonds defeated New Zealand in overtime to win the Gold Medal!

4 Likes

Nice graphics package from Prime/Sky, all in keeping with the overall games look.

4 Likes

I do liked that gradient watermark from 7 back then

Hey! You must’ve copied from this tweet:

8 Likes

Did anyone happen to see Madison de Rozario’s medal presentation after she won gold? I’m not sure why but she almost seemed disinterested.

I hate how the commentary is so disjointed. Baz throws to Bruce and vice versa but they are both half way through a sentence at the time and don’t acknowledge each other.

I’m glad they’re not getting McLachlan or Gelmi to do it personally, the less of them the better! The throw between commentators is obviously rushed to meet the start of the event time so they do have to skip the formalities.

Personally I’d prefer the commentator of the upcoming event just call the event without the introductory context, with the commentator of the previous event introducing it for them. An example would be Bruce introducing the Swimming, Basil introducing the call team, and the three of them calling it, on conclusion of that Basil will introduce the track and field, with Bruce and co just focused on calling that event, and repeat.

2 Likes

Are Shepmates on the books for Seven here? No doubt handy, Seven can access their original tapes.

Seven’s coding seems to be all over the place again, I also realise ratings vs EPG/guides arent always the same anyway.

So we’re told Evening is 7pm and Night is 8:30pm and so on, but online guides have different names like “Fringe” and “Pre Dawn”, WTF?

Then, I’ve noticed, tonight for example on the EPG, the pre scheduled programs (7pm, 8:30pm, etc which you’d imagine are meant to correspond with their ratings or guide naming) are being updated live… The 8:30pm one started at 7:59pm, where the CC bug also appeared on the screen, also denoting the start of a program.

So with my latter point, are Seven time-adjusting the ratings to these updated start times? Just seems convoluted.

Tonight

6.00pm Hockey: The Hockeyroos play Scotland in their final women’s pool match.

7.00pm Athletics: In the moment Aussies have been waiting for, Peter Bol hits the track for the men’s 800m heats, against a talent-stacked group of athletes. Then, two-time Olympic finalist, Brandon Starc, defends his men’s high jump title.

7.30pm Swimming: Brendon Smith, Mitch Larkin and Se-Bom Lee kick off the night for the Aussies in the men’s 200m individual medley, before golden girl Ariarne Titmus takes on fellow Aussies, Lani Pallister and Kiah Melverton in the women’s 400m freestyle. Then, the Aussie men contend for their spot in the 4x100m medley relay final.

8.00pm Cricket T20: Meg Lanning’s Aussies take on Pakistan in their final pool match.

8.30pm Cycling (Mountain Bike): Dan McConnell and Sam Fox come up against an impressive group of riders in the cross country. Australia is yet to win a gold medal in this cycling discipline – could we take home our first?

11.00pm Boxing: Aussie boxing champ, Kaye Scott, takes on Zainab Keita of Sierra Leone in the women’s over 66kg-70kg (Light Middle) quarter final.

Tomorrow

1.00am Table Tennis : Australia’s best hopes are in the para-sport events, with Yang Qian headlining Australia’s campaign on Thursday morning. Then, former Paralympic medallist in wheelchair tennis, Daniela Di Toro, will compete in the singles in the C3-5 division.

4.00am Athletics: With the fastest man in the Commonwealth, Andre de Grasse, withdrawing from the Games, the men’s 100m finals are wide open! Watch out for Kenyan young gun Ferdinand Omanyala, or can “The Flying Mullet”, Rohan Browning, become the first Australian male to win the medal since Michael Cleary in 1962?

4.00am Swimming Finals : In the final swimming session, Australia is an excellent chance to win three gold medals courtesy of Ariarne Titmus, who is looking to complete the 200/400/800m freestyle treble.

Thursday night

6.00pm Netball : Australia take on Gold Coast 2018 bronze medallists, the Sunshine Girls of Jamaica, in their final group match before the semi-finals. Super Netball grand final player of the match, Jhaniele Fowler, will captain the Jamaicans. In group B, world champions New Zealand play reigning champions, England, with the loser likely to have the tougher semi-final against Australia.

7.00pm Athletics: The men’s decathlon gets underway! Can Australian’s, Olympic bronze medallist, Ash Moloney and Cedric Dubler, upset defending champion Lindon Victor of Grenada? Then, the women’s 1500m T53/T54 will see a trio of legendary Australian Paralympians including defending champion Madison de Rozario, Angela Ballard and Christie Dawes.

7.00pm Cycling: The men’s and women’s road time trials will feature Tokyo 2020 Olympic bronze medallist, Rohan Dennis and Australia’s top-ranked road rider, Grace Brown, who finished 4th in Tokyo.

11.00pm Diving: The opening night in the diving will feature Esther Qin in the 10m individual. Will she become the first Australian diver to win gold at three consecutive Games?

*All times AEST

SEE THE FULL SCHEDULE HERE

3 Likes

Cate Campbell is doing a brilliant job I hope she stays on the swimming commentary for years

4 Likes

If 7 gains the rights to Paris, she’ll be in France as a commentator. Hope swimming returns to linear TV with interest of the sport gaining.