2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games Coverage

The ceremony just finished but on Seven it is still going

For reference, I watched on the BBC because I know what Seven is like with events like this. They say it is live but no chance it is

4 Likes

Felt like a real Opening Ceremony after the letdowns of Tokyo and Beijing. Let the games begin

6 Likes

Tonight

7.30pm Swimming Heats: Tonight, the Aussies will dominate the pool, when Ariarne Titmus, Ellie Cole and Zac Stubblety-Cook begin their Birmingham 2022 campaign.

Don’t miss Cody Simpson as he makes his Commonwealth Games debut in the men’s 50m butterfly.

8.00pm Triathlon: The first gold medal event at Birmingham 2022 with Matthew Hauser, Jacob Birtwhistle and Brandon Copeland all flying the flag for Australia.

8.00pm Cricket: For the first time at the Commonwealth Games, Meg Lanning leads
our team of Aussies as they take on India in the women’s T20 Cricket.

11.00pm Netball: Liz Watson and her Australian Diamonds take on Barbados on the netball court.

11.30pm Triathlon : Aussie stars Sophie Linn, Charlotte McShane and Natalie Van Coevorden kick-start Australia’s women’s Triathlon campaign.

Tomorrow

1.00am Cycling (Track) Finals: Will Jessica Gallagher claim her first ever medal in the BVI Tandem Sprint?

3.30am Rugby 7’s: Charlotte Caslick and Demi Hayes lead our women’s Rugby 7’s team as they take on Scotland. Will they go one better than their Gold Coast 2018 campaign?

4.00am Swimming Finals: Don’t miss our Aussie stars when they claim their first Birmingham 2022 medals in the pool.

4.00pm Marathon Finals: The Marathon Finals for our able-bodied and para-athletes kicks off, with Australia’s own Madi de Rozario chasing back-to-back titles in the women’s wheelchair event.

Saturday night

7.30pm Swimming Heats: Aussie trio Elijah Winnington, Zac Incerti and Mack Horton in the 200m freestyle, before Brendon Smith takes on the men’s 400m individual medley. Emma McKeon and Brianna Throssell will line up for the women’s 100m butterfly.

Then, the Aussies line up for the women’s and men’s 4x100m freestyle – Australia’s most dominant event over the past 25 years.

9.00pm Netball: The Aussie Diamonds continue their quest when they meet Scotland on the court.

11.00pm Women’s Hockey : Our Gold Coast 2018 silver medallists, the Hockeyroos, take to the field to battle against Kenya in their debut appearance in the event.

*All times AEST

2 Likes

They continue to destroy their sports broadcasts with nonsense like this. Boring sets. Minimal presence at the venue. They need to look to SBS and their coverage of the Tour De France and upcoming World Cup.

This cheap and nasty coverage is an abject failure.

The Opening Ceremony, though not as lavish, was reminiscent of the London Olympics.

7 Likes

With the new season of My Kitchen Rules launching on Sunday August 8 on the main channel, 7mate, 7TWO and 7flix will be heavily utilised for early evening coverage of the penultimate day of competition of Commonwealth Games, with the simulcast of Fox Footy’s broadcast of late afternoon AFL clash between West Coast and Adelaide (for SA and WA viewers) thrown into the mix.

2 Likes

The front page of News Corp’s The Games liftout print edition today:

The front page of News Corp’s The Games liftout digital edition today, covering this morning’s opening ceremony:

2 Likes

I agree I think it was great and very well put together. Much better then the Gold Coast travesty.

4 Likes

Who could forget the disaster that was the Closing Ceremony… and Seven’s handling of it, deciding to prioritise the return of MKR from its mid-season break instead.

2 Likes

And the fury from Jo Griggs. She was certainly unhappy, not unwarranted either because the closing ceremony was more of a musical showcase than a celebration of the athletes.

7 Likes

The Bull followed on from Migaloo in GC2018, the tram in Melbourne 2006 and of course Matilda in Brisbane 2032.

Bring on day 1 and the next 10 days.

3 Likes

Seen on 7Plus on the main channel stream during a Seven News ad break

Not sure if it’s an advertising thing or whether they’ve just decided not to show the broadcast ads in lieu of this placeholder promotion.

Reminds me of KAYO during Seven’s AFL games.

5 Likes

Sport has started on 7Two

5 Likes

You can watch different sports from rugby 7s, to badminton, to table tennis on 7+ app.

4 Likes

5 minute intro on main channel before the hosts.

6 Likes

I don’t know what’s more annoying and seizure inducing- the flooring on that virtual set or McLachlan’s voice. Does Seven have the rights to show some actual events or are we just going to get talking heads?

5 Likes

Why can’t they build a set that looks like that or better in Birmingham or any of their games. If SBS can afford it for smaller events like Tour De France and World Cup then surely Seven can too? It doesn’t cost them that much surely. They spend more on keeping useless Hamish McLachlan at the network.

7 Likes

Is this the same set the used for the Olympics (Summer and Winter) ?

2 Likes