Survey 2 - 16 April
Survey 3 - 2 June
Survey 4 - 7 July
Survey 5 - 25 August
Survey 6 - 29 September
Survey 7 - 10 November
Survey 8 - 15 December

All surveys are released on Tuesdays except Survey 2 which is on Thursday

Regionals are in their corresponding thread.

1 Like

Surveys 3 - 5 have been put ‘on hold’ due to the Coronavirus restrictions preventing the regular surveying process from taking place:

1 Like

You heard it here first :wink:

3 Likes

What’s the logic in that?

Can’t they post survey books out, have them posted back in (with reply paid envelope) and have results calculated in a social distancing office?

1 Like

This makes sense, with businesses shutdown and even less advertising revenue, at least they don’t have to throw money at attracting / keeping their existing listeners. Perfect opportunity for the fm stations to keep improving their products.

Will all networks keep their talent on over the traditional survey breaks?

1 Like

Nova and SCA are keeping on air talent on over Easter

1 Like

isn’t it mostly all done online these days?

I don’t understand why they’d shut down for 3 surveys. TV ratings are still going and it’s showing more people engaging with traditional media while in lockdown. I thought radio ratings might show similar results.

3 Likes

From Radioinfo:

CRA and GfK add an online survey for the Cap Cities

GfK will move to an online survey for the five major capital city markets while the official radio ratings are on hold due to COVID-19.

CRA commissioned the survey, to be released in June, that will capture industry-level consumer listening data via an online e-diary, and will provide information on how many people listened to radio and key metrics on time, place of listening and demographics.

Read more here.

2 Likes

You’d think they would do it all online and / or an app. Especially for out of home listening an app or website would be easier for most people.

1 Like

I’m surprised there isn’t an app that operates in the background with the functionality of Shazam so the accuracy of the ratings would overcome the limitations of a diary system.

1 Like

That would ruin the illusion of who’s actually listening

1 Like

Today would’ve been the release of Survey 3 if not for COVID-19.

Here’s Radioinfo’s take on what could’ve been: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/930-and-results-survey-3-should-have-been

1 Like

CRA:

The official radio surveys will resume with Survey 6, which will be in field from July 26 to September 19, with results to be released on September 29.

4 Likes
1 Like

I’ve heard a few “ads” from GfK on WSFM in the last couple of days regarding radio ratings, one being about being asked to participate and another about their COVID Safe practices.

3 Likes

I heard the same GfK ad on 3AW on Friday too.

2 Likes

I heard it on Gold this morning too.

2 Likes

Nova had it today too.

2 Likes

Commercial radio industry prepares for restart of radio ratings

The commercial radio industry is preparing for the restart of radio ratings next week, with contingency plans in place to manage the placement of diaries in areas affected by lockdowns.

The survey period for Survey 6 will start on July 26 and runs through to September 19, with results to be released on September 29.

The chief executive officer of industry body Commercial Radio Australia, Joan Warner, said there would be changes to the placement of diaries in Melbourne due to the lockdown requirements.

“We have been closely monitoring the situation in regards to COVID-19, and there will be modifications to the placement of diaries in the Melbourne licence area to ensure the survey goes ahead as scheduled,” she said.

Research provider GfK has trialled and planned for contactless placement of paper survey diaries in Melbourne. In addition, the proportion of respondents completing an e-diary in that city will be increased from 30% to 40%.

Ms Warner said all metropolitan commercial radio stations have been running an on-air consumer campaign to raise awareness of the ratings ahead of the start of field work.

“The ad informs listeners of the surveys process and reassures them that if they are contacted to participate, it will be done safely and within strict COVID-19 guidelines,” she said.

The official radio surveys were paused in April due to the pandemic, but a special GfK Radio Pulse e-diary survey was released in June to keep the market informed about listening trends.

The survey found that commercial radio audiences had increased strongly compared to Survey 2, with average weekly metro audiences up 7.1% to nearly 12 million people.

2 Likes
5 Likes