2019 New South Wales state election - media coverage

Is it just me or is it that Seven always pick the ‘bad’ panelists for their election coverage? Is it on purpose or did Nine/ABC beat them to the good panelists?

They always seem to pick panelists who’ll be ‘controversial’

1 Like

Which prompts me to give the following emoji: :roll_eyes:

FFS, they’re a news service, not a reality TV show.

1 Like

Agree but going down that route produces headlines for them (eg; the attention Alan Jones got on election night 2016 for complaining about Turnbull not speaking until 12:30am)

1 Like

I get that commercial TV coverage of elections needs to be “down to earth” (with more personality, etc.) and perhaps a bit more “accessible” for the average viewer compared to what you’d find on the ABC.

But if you’re going to have former/current politicians as panellists, at least get try to provide a balance of left & right wing voices!

1 Like

Mark Latham is the token lefty :slight_smile:

Yeah, you might’ve gotten away with saying that Mark Latham was “a lefty” about 15 years ago but he’s taken a noticeable turn to the right in recent years and is now in One Nation which is basically a hard right wing party with all their anti-immigration policies.

1 Like

ABC NSW VOTES

The ABC will deliver the most comprehensive coverage of the NSW election on Saturday 23 March with election night special NSW Votes.

SATURDAY 23 MARCH

Election Night Coverage – NSW Votes

6pm AEDT on ABC (NSW only) and ABC NEWS channel

Live from the ABC election centre, ABC NEWS hosts Michael Rowland , Juanit a Phillips and Brigid Glanville will keep you up to date with the latest results and analysis.

Joining the panel will be guests:

• Dominic Perrottet, NSW Treasurer
  • Jodi McKay, Shadow Transport Minister
  • Trent Zimmerman, Federal Liberal MP
  • Linda Burney, Federal Labor MP

ABC Election Analyst Antony Green will add his unmissable insights as the numbers come in.

6pm – 10pm on ABC Radio Sydney and NSW / broadcast nationally on ABC NEWS Radio

Join hosts Richard Glover and Wendy Harmer and ABC Illawarra’s Kelly Fuller as they broadcast live state-wide. They will be joined by special guests Liberal Minister Matt Kean and Deputy Leader of the NSW Labor Party Penny Sharpe for the latest seat-by-seat results.

You can listen to the ABC’s radio coverage on-air, online and on the ABC listen app.

Watch events unfold on the ABC NEWS live stream, live on the ABC NEWS Facebook page or online at abc.net.au/nswvotes

SUNDAY 24 MARCH

8am AEDT ABC local Radio (national)

AM will bring you special coverage on Sunday morning of all the NSW election results.

9am on ABC / 9am AEDT on ABC NEWS

Join Barrie Cassidy and the panel as they examine the results and the election wash-up on Insiders . In the studio will be Guardian Australia ’s Katharine Murphy, The Courier-Mail ’s Dennis Atkins and journalist and political commentator David Marr.

Radio, online and the 7pm News will also deliver up-to-the-minute news and information throughout the day.

1 Like

Some caps from the People’s Forum

1 Like

Thursday -

Looks like the same boffins who did Seven’s pathetic 2016 federal election coverage are still there.

Sack them all FFS and get someone good to do it!

1 Like

Caps of the Seven promo:

2 Likes

Very balanced coverage by 7, or are we missing a cap of the Left side commentators ?

In terms of line-up, that’s it I think.

Shamelessly they have no token lefty on their coverage, unlike Tanya Plibersek in 2016 who was at least from Labour instead of diehard liberals.

1 Like

2019 New South Wales Election on Seven

Saturday from 5.00pm

This Saturday, commentators and political heavyweights will join forces on Seven as part of New South Wales’ most experienced election panel.

7NEWS cuts through the spin with the most informed and comprehensive coverage with live results as the election night unfolds.

From 5.00pm on Seven, 7NEWS will bring you live rolling coverage of NSW Votes 2019 as our panel of expert commentators bring their own insights and results as they emerge from the key seats.

7NEWS anchor Michael Usher and political editor Mark Riley will be joined by a panel of experts including 2GB’s Alan Jones , former Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce , former ALP President and NSW Senator Jenny McAllister , alongside NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance and leading NSW Labor MP Chris Minns.

Joining them will be 7NEWS state political reporter Sean Berry , One Nation’s Mark Latham , and former NSW Liberal Leader Kerry Chikarovski .

7NEWS will cross live throughout the night to our team of experienced reporters in all key battlegrounds across the state.

And 7NEWS senior anchor Mark Ferguson will present 7NEWS at 6.00pm, covering the latest events of the day including strategic election updates throughout the bulletin.

mp4_000009400

2 Likes

Seven’s panel has even caught the eye of Media Watch

2 Likes

How stupid of Seven to not promote the diversity in their panel, but rather focussing on the liberals and the likes of Jones, Latham in their promos. Missed opportunity really.

2 Likes

Barnaby Joyce, Alan Jones & Mark Latham
Any one of those three would have me reaching for the remote.
All three on one program, talk about scraping the barrel.
Glad i’m not in NSW on Saturday

1 Like

Lets remember their Director of News & Current Affairs is married to someone who has been found to vilify Muslims in Australia, I guess its not surprise its so right wing.

1 Like