10daily

10 daily’s audience for August was up just over 35% since their last reported audience figures in May, or about 514,975 unique audience.

2 Likes

Mat Whitehead promoted to entertainment editor

Network 10’s news and entertainment website 10 Daily has announced the promotion of Mat Whitehead as entertainment editor, effectively immediately.

Mat said: “I’ve been part of the 10 Daily team since the site launched in May 2018, so I’ve been very lucky to see the site develop and grow over the last year and a half.”

Mat has almost 10 years experience in the media and marketing industry including four years in entertainment journalism. Mat joined 10 Daily as senior entertainment reporter in March 2018. Prior to 10, Mat worked at The Huffington Post and Buzzfeed writing about entertainment and pop culture.

Mat continued: “Entertainment editor comes with a fancier title but I also took the position under the impression that they’d tell me who The Masked Singer contestants are. And yet, I’ve repeatedly been told to please stop emailing the CEO asking him ‘who that unicorn tho?’.”

Mat will report to 10 Daily editor Chris Harrison who said: “I’m super excited that Mat is taking charge of the Entertainment vertical despite not knowing who the masked singers are. Mat is a founding member of our team and his work and commitment to 10 has been recognised across the network, not just at 10 Daily.

“Our Entertainment vertical is already punching above its weight and with Mat at the helm I’m confident it will go from strength to strength. I’m sure Mat will put his own quirky stamp on our Entertainment coverage so readers should stay tuned for lots of laughs ahead.”

The appointment of Mat follows 10 Daily’s record month in August which saw the site achieve monthly unique audience of 1.46m – the biggest audience ever.

4 Likes

Very well deserved, Mat’s TL;DR Bachelor videos are hilarious.

2 Likes

A couple of new appointments at 10 daily:

Ruth Baber has joined the team in Melbourne as a Social Media & Engagement Producer for the website & for 10 News First Melbourne, which finalises the appointment of an additional journalist to oversee local content and social media accounts in each of the 5 capital cities.

Natasha Christian has also joined as News Editor, based in Sydney.

They are also hiring for a Social Media Editor role, no word of whether this role is in addition to or replaces (hopefully the former) Lawrence Champness who joined the site back in September 2018 as well as a Lifestyle Reporter.

As I understand Lawrence is still with 10 Daily.

1 Like

I thought as much, his twitter is still active with 10 daily content and mentions this in his bio.

Good on 10 for growing the team as the site progresses!

Lisa Wilkinson doesn’t appear to write many articles for 10daily. Her ten most recent stories according to the byline links were published on:

20 September 2019
22 August 2019
19 June 2019
18 May 2019
20 March 2019
15 March 2019
10 March 2019
4 March 2019
19 November 2018
8 November 2018

https://10daily.com.au/authors/lisa-wilkinson
https://10daily.com.au/authors/lisa-wilkinson-2

Wilkinson is Editor-at-Large at 10daily. Paul Kelly’s position at The Australian has the same title.

2 Likes

I don’t think her role consists of sitting there pumping out yarns for the site, she writes if there is something of relevance in the media or something that she is interested in.

But agree her pieces are sometimes few and far between at times, from memory it was the same when she was appointed a similar position at HuffPost Australia.

If I was the exec editor, I would be trying to leverage her pull a bit more with additional content and trying to tap into her engaged audience and build the connection between her and her association to the site.

1 Like

This answer is amusing:

This was really a title given to Lisa to add to the announcement of switching from 9 to 10. It hasn’t amounted to much and I don’t think most thought there’d be more to it.

Does she have one?

1 Like

Sure she does, she has 325k followers on Instagram who are highly engaged with whatever she regularly posts about and I daresay that would carry over to anything she pens an opinion about. In addition she has 244k followers on twitter and a further near 100k on Facebook. Not a bad audience!

Whilst that may not have necessarily translated into a TV audience is another story, however with those kind of figures and the amount of press coverage she receives on a fairly regular basis I would say that she would be a valuable asset to any media company.

2 Likes

Seeing how Today’s audience has been decimated, I would say yes she does have a broadcast audience.

1 Like

I was referring to The Project, which I’m not sure was the best fit for her personally but Today’s audience declines can probably be put down to a number of factors and not just Lisa’s departure.

2 Likes

Absolutely, re: Today.

Senior Reporter Alex Bruce-Smith has left the site and joined Pedestrian Daily as Deputy Editor.

2 Likes

No longer it seems, Lawrence is now at SMH.

well, lets see what the new person can do…

1 Like

What is that SMH stencil of ‘the mookout’ in the photo? What does it mean? @killy06

No idea, didn’t even notice it. Was more about the text within the tweet than the image that he also uploaded at the same time.

1 Like

It’s a meerkat and the word is supposed to be “The Lookout”.

I figured it was a an “L” quickly but it took me a few attempts to work out it was supposed to be a meerkat. I guess The Sydney Morning Herald sponsor the Meerkat enclosure at Taronga Zoo.

1 Like