10 Play

That is why I stopped bothering with Ten’s catch-up service. No advertisers want to touch it so you end up getting the ads from clients who are willing to spend there 5 or 6 times in a row every break… plus what they do offer to watch is limited. Definitely the worst of all the catch-up apps from the FTAs here.

If that’s the case they should be bundling linear ads with VOD ads for clients. Having ads run multiple times in a break is pathetic.

3 Likes

They probably use it more as a tool for “Added Value” for client’s campaigns, I’m sure Nine and Seven would do the same to an extent. No client would actively buy it unless it was say an advertiser that wanted to sponsor a particular program on tv and catch-up for instance.

I can never understand why they don’t do this for the live streaming at least, it just doesn’t make sense. MCN Sales should really be selling on the basis of terrrestrial tv advertising which will also appear on live streaming rather than them inserting the same old ads over the top. If I see another tenplay sponsored Living Room or Family Fued ‘best bit’… :roll_eyes:

It’s been a few years since since I worked Agency side but selling airtime on the basis you’d be seen on air and online is not the done thing. As a TV Buyer you’re buying on ratings points for your particular target demo where as online viewing you can’t do that (hence why 9 gets everyone to login as it gives them a point of difference having access to you age, sex, location etc).

1 Like

SBS On Demand does it too. Been watching The Chef’s Line on demand and it often features the same ads sometimes in the same break

1 Like

The ad breaks most days during the news live streams are enough to make you stop watching. Each break the same ad is repeated up to 6 times, followed by a different ad played 3-4 times. The same two ads are repeated throughout the hour.

Can’t be as bad as Plus7 every time I finish watching a show on the TTV it then has two ex Home and Away actors telling me there is more to watch on Plus7 etc , or Manu from MKR is saying the same…

1 Like

Using Tenplay to watch this weeks episode of Have You Been Paying Attention?

Didn’t realise the streaming quality has been so bad… truly, you’d get better quality watching it on WIN in SD

The only thing that isn’t resembling 144p quality is the tenplay watermark itself

E: Actually, the ads are in a higher quality, too. Just the actual program content isn’t
:thinking:

I was just using Tenplay to test if it was better to stream Ten (when they do stream) rather than watch WIN. Yeah, Tenplay is terrible quality and is not full screen when I cast it to my television. Watching Ten through the Freeview FV app is better and is full screen.

1 Like

Showing how often I even use TenPlay, does anyone know exactly what programs Ten have their livestreaming running for?

Obviously I’m aware that their 5pm news bulletins are livestreamed, but apart from that?

1 Like

There is a guide on the Tenplay app Watch Live page. Generally it appears to be Studio 10, Everyday Gourmet, Bold and the Beautiful, Ten News, Family Fued, The Project, and the Australian programs after 7:30pm.

2 Likes

You obviously get Live MotoGP and Formula 1, Wallabies Tests, A League and RPM. Sports that I know are live streamed on tenplay.

2 Likes

During some commercials this appears instead, but restarting the stream in Freeview FV displays the ‘hidden’ commercial. No idea why Tenplay would block commercials.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20626756_10209818746649891_155936193283023629_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=1ba1b428d1272673bf24fd10fc10f40e&oe=59F9A668

1 Like

It’s weird. Just play the ads on the air. Surely their advertisers would love the small value ad if they still can’t monetize the streaming service.

Ten are so bad in the online space. Really weird they wouldn’t embrace muli platforms to diversify their business.

3 Likes

Sounds like what an old guy in Bermuda would do…no wonder WIN’s Bruce Gordon wants to buy Ten.

1 Like

Tenplay records its largest monthly viewership with Australian Survivor, The Bachelor and Offspring.

1 Like

Record Month For tenplay In August.

Biggest Ever Online Viewing Numbers.

Network Ten General Manager, Digital, Liz Baldwin

Significant increases in the online audiences for hit television shows including The Bachelor Australia, Offspring and Australian Survivor saw Network Ten’s online catch-up viewing and streaming service tenplay achieve its biggest ever month of video viewing in August.

More than 36.3 million video segment views were recorded on tenplay in just one month, up 37% compared with July this year and up 52% compared with August 2016.

Until last month, tenplay’s best viewing month was October 2016, when 32.3 million views were achieved.

In August this year, tenplay also attracted 4.37 million total unique visitors, up 14% year-on- year. That number included 2.17 million video unique visitors, up 28%.

From 1 January to 31 August this year, tenplay recorded 175.96 million video segment views, up 30% from the same period in 2016.

The record-breaking results last month were driven by key shows such as The Bachelor Australia, Australian Survivor, Have You Been Paying Attention?, Offspring and Neighbours.

The Bachelor Australia, for example, had 13.87 million video segment views in August alone, up 41% on the same month in 2016.

This year, the hit TEN series has set new records for seven-day online catch-up viewing. The 24 August episode of The Bachelor Australia had an additional 154,000 viewers from online catch-up, the biggest increase ever for a single episode of any show on a commercial free- to-air television network.

Network Ten General Manager, Digital, Liz Baldwin, said: “We’re thrilled with the results for tenplay, both across video views and our online catch-up viewing results.

“Through connected TVs, our audience can still have that great broadcast experience in their lounge rooms beyond a traditional broadcast window. What hasn’t changed is their desire to watch quality programming like Offspring, Australian Survivor and The Bachelor Australia.

“With continued focus on the user experience, tenplay has cemented its place with our audience. It’s now firmly part of their repertoire when making a decision beyond the broadcast window.

“Tenplay is across 13 platforms and strategically growing on new ones. Our job is to allow people to access our fantastic content where and when they want it,” she said.

I wonder how many of the TenPlay viewers were from WIN broadcast areas (i.e. avoiding mappy, such as myself).

Just me or are the news live streams being state geoblocked once again? I can only seem to watch the bulletin for the state I’m in.