1 News NZ

Pretty sure the current graphics date from 2017? I may be wrong.

2015 - 2016 had the slash one news logo

2016 - present has the current 1 circles logo

Videos @NaruTVMock

1 Like

Thanks for the upload and information, well overdue for a refresh, set is only few years but on air package needs revamp as does formats of all bulletins going into 2020.

2 Likes

But if they do I would hope they continue uniformity. The 2015 was fresh and consistent. breakfast and all bulletins unified. It was a very strong brand and I would hate for 1 news to go off on a tangent and be a big mish mash of mess like the 10 years prior.

Anyone remember Flipside? Was watching AJE newsgrid and Outside source from BBC videos online got me thinking. with social media around now compared to when Flipside was on air, could it work in today’s world?

Air it on 2 around 4.30. Interactive news aimed at the younger viewers.

Sky news UK used to do a Skynews.com which was a news show with the webs agenda, mix that and Newgrid and Outside Source and it seems like a format that could be tried out.

2 Likes

Go back to One Network News at 6 and Holmes at 1830, 1989 to 1994 era, we don’t need 4 presenters, endless weather when there’s online, everywhere, anytime. Just my thoughts, BBC, ABC, CBS and NBC, and most international broadcasters have 30mins bulletin, then magazine edition.

In saying that most big overseas networks do a lot of regional news after or before hand though.

Plus, 1 news don’t have weather over load anymore. Just their traditional 3 or 4 minute forecast and 1 tease before a break. They’ve drastically cut it down.

Most overseas networks don’t put their newsreaders into the solar system :joy:

6 Likes

What a blast from the past with Flipside! Does anyone have any videos they could upload to YouTube? I can’t find anything atm. I was thinking the newbie reporters could present an informal 1News 4:30 bulletin filmed on the old Midday and Tonight newsroom set. Could be interactive and allow the new reporters a chance to hone their skills much like the BBC Outside Source.

We are nearing the 50 year anniversary of TVNZ News/1 News.

1 Like

November 3?

Would love to see Richard Long, Judy Bailey, April Ieremia and Jim Hickey for a full hour one more time.

That was the news team I grew up with.

Also remember Tom Bradley and the late Angela D’Audney on during the weekends. Liz Gunn on Tonight/Late Edition.

Remember the old 6.30am Telstra Business then 7.00 Breakfast. Where is Michael Wilson these days?

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/hXOhBEknxXw

Always get a shiver when I hear this opening music, If I remember correctly their NYE 1999 Rebrand music was a little bit different not sure how long it lasted until it changed to that music. Only slight differences mind you.

1 Like

Ask tvnz how to ruin your brand and credibility, I also grew up with those programs and presenters, all in English. Now its so mixed up, that it’s unbearable to watch, apart from the studio and digital technology.

“In English”, what even does that mean?

1 Like

Use of Alternative language, more of it then ever before. Do you not watch News or Q & A? I take it you are in Australia!

1 Like

You mean how Jack Tame greats everyone in Maori (one of three official languages in NZ) at the start of each program…?

3 Likes

Correct, not just greet, but goes on & off script, if given the full bulletin he would show on air his new talent regardless of the nature of the programme.

1 Like

Kind of agree with that comment about Jacks overuse of Te Reo. Yes jack we know u got an award for becoming fluent in Maori, but he does kind of ram it down or throats sort of a brag of his achievement.

Also, get rid of that Hayley Holt. I hardly watch Breakfast and when I doo regret it instantly. I feel so sorry for John. Everytime I put it on without fail Hayley brings her feminist agenda into everything discussed and quite frankly I couldn’t give a rats arse about her opinion. She doesn’t need to bring it in to topics but she always finds a way too. Awful ‘presenter’.

Give Breakfast to John and John only. Do not make the format like The AM Show though. Have a newsreader and weather presenter but lay off the high amount of time filling banter. If you don’t have content reduce breakfast to 2 hours. Change the format up a bit don’t be scared, add a bit of pace to the show. Ditch that today’s the day segment, how many people care about random kids birthdays or someone’s achievement? Probably not many. They need to have a big look at the format going ahead in the future.

3 Likes

The era of Judy and Richard was professional and world class, precise and accurate with personality to connect with viewers, everynight.

1 Like

How dare he use one of our official languages! Disgusting of him!*

*Sarcasm heavily implied

3 Likes

Wow, this discussion could cross the line really easily eh! Here’s my rua;

I’ve got nothing against the odd Te Reo Bomb, but full sentences can feel alienating without subtitles, and I agree, Jack and Guyon Esp. do give the impression of showing off a bit. I guess their hearts are in the right place, but they need to match their pace to their viewers/listeners… most of which don’t know much more than Oma Rapiti (like me!)

It’s a bit of a fine-line, but I think if the mainstream channels stick the odd word in so people are accustomed to it, and put in subtitles for lengthy phrases, there is definitely a place for Te Reo in any broadcast. I wouldn’t think there’s any need to go further, leave the proper integrated learning to Maori TV’s two channels, which, after all, is what they’re there for.

1 Like