1 News NZ

Never, ever refer to a person who uses a wheelchair as ‘wheelchair-bound’… especially when it’s irrelevant.

3 Likes

Huh?

The comment read in full proves there was no malicious intent or discrimination intended. And I would seriously doubt that there were any intention to discriminate or insult

1 Like

Tom Bradley has been a public facing disability advocate for years since retiring and being confined to a wheelchair in his later years due to his arthritis. He’s affected change and helped spur initiatives to better the lives of disabled people in his region.
I know Paddy - who has told us he has autism and sometimes doesn’t write the way others might - didn’t mean anything by his comment and it seems an unnecessary thing to nitpick on.

17 Likes

Simon anchored the first block - then Melissa took over for the rest of the news.
He also interviewed Tory Whanau during the news hour.

5 Likes

Oops! My bad, I misread the original post! Great job by TV1 & TV3 tonight :clap:

1 Like

And a massive thanks to the ABC News Channel for carrying the main press conferences LIVE while our networks couldn’t be bothered.

3 Likes

All the more reason why it’s important not to marginalise him with outdated terms like that.
I’m sure it wasn’t ill-intended, but important that as a community we make a point of these things.
Here’s some helpful reading: Please Stop Saying “Wheelchair Bound” • Free Wheelin’ (freewheelintravel.org) or Proper Terminology: Don’t Use “Confined to” or “Wheelchair Bound” – Living with Disability and Chronic Pain (canbc.org)

As in the NZ networks didn’t cover it live but ABC did?
Was it during newstime or outside of that? I guess we’ve become so used to seeing press conferences live due to Covid, but end of the day they’re not always going to be able to be live.

2 Likes

The main pressers were only covered on their websites and YouTube channels but not on television because they were outside news time. If only Newshub hadn’t axed their 4.30pm bulletin we would of seen the late afternoon update on tv. I see alot of our pressers live on the ABC News Channel than on NZ tv.

2 Likes

Te Karare with a ticker today.

4 Likes

AR elements on 1 News at Six tonight with the 2023 Budget announcement

10 Likes

Who in their right mind thought that looked good? That’s attrocious.

3 Likes

…should i retract my ‘like’ :neutral_face:

Though in saying that, when zoomed out all the way it does look very odd. Almost like virtual set file got corrupted and has out of place elements.

does anyone know what this button is? i’ve only seen this today

1 Like

I kinda like it… but if TVNZ are going to use AR to this scale they should do it from a full studio, with a green screen, because using it alongside the LED wall is awful.

4 Likes

It’s an ejector seat lol

2 Likes

Im A Hilary Barry fan but maybe FIFA accessed some Seven Sharp episodes and made their decision accordingly :laughing:

3 Likes

Seems that she didn’t complete her application correctly. Non story to me.

4 Likes

When Anna gets fed up with Matty she pushes it to teach him a lesson :rofl:

Should’ve had Simon on location as per previous budgets.