1 News NZ

ACA NZ was axed.

TVNZ CEO Simon Power has resigned.

2 Likes

TVNZ chief executive Simon Power stepping down

1 Like

Did TVNZ1 really stay with The Chase instead of Ardern’s valedictory? I realise it’s all on Parliament TV, but how bloody disrespectful…

1 Like

I would have made the same call.
I don’t recall any other exiting ex-PM being afforded a cut-in live broadcast for their valedictory speech outside usual news programming.

7 Likes

Maybe if the merger was going ahead then they would have? Lol

Disrespectful how?

1 Like

Tacky set up on studio for their coronation coverage.

7 Likes

I found TVNZ’s coverage cringeworthy and amateur. They would have been better off just playing BBC’s coverage from the start.

TVNZ’s reporter workforce is very young - especially their foreign correspondents. Would love to see more senior and distinguished reporters in these roles again, to add gravitas and credibility.

3 Likes

Very disappointing that they didn’t send Simon and/or Wendy to anchor from London. Wendy especially has reported on royal events from London in the past, so she has experience.

Guessing like most NZ media orgs they don’t pay enough to retain older reporters who then go into PR or other fields.

Think the belt is being tightened at TVNZ. Or they’re keeping their heads down after a tricky last year.

4 Likes

Or if they’re really good, go abroad to work for a bigger news organisation.

Would make sense after the aborted merger.

Wasn’t there that radio station that closed down a few weeks ago? Might be a few decent reporters out of a job that TVNZ could hire. :smirk:

True. Part of that is the problem - if you compare to Australia there’s regional markets, news channels and cap city bulletins etc where you can go to move up the ladder or for a change of scene. Here the national nature of bulletins means if you hit that ceiling of reporting for national news it’s either overseas or PR most likely.

2 Likes

Yes I didn’t watch it all but it seemed they were just using Mai Heron plus a few stringers, which was surprising. And didn’t bring Simon or JC in for anything (though I suspect JC in particular probably doesn’t have much time for the monarchy :rofl:).

TVNZ are lucky they’re able to retain the likes of Nicole Bremner and Barbara Dreaver. Agree the lack of progression ladder and the much higher pay offered to experienced journalists in PR are big problems. Also a lack of programmes means limited opportunities to get anchoring /presenting experience - another thing we lost when we lost TVNZ7.

1 Like

Hopefully there’s a few dollars left in the upcoming budget to restart TVNZ7 especially with the Broadcasting minister wanting TVNZ to do more for non commercial broadcasting.

There’s more chance of pigs flying than TVNZ7 starting again.

12 Likes

I know, but one can only hope lol

1 News Special on now due to State of Emergency declared in Auckland.

4 Likes

1News having graphics troubles tonight - seems to be an issue with the baselines not loading properly on screen.

2 Likes

@OnAir @medianz @NuStraya I was at Bayfair in the Mount earlier today (12 May) and did not realise that the wheelchair-bound Tom Bradley (a TVNZ newsreader from many years ago) was there.

I didn’t meet him, but he was one of the greatest broadcasting legends (since Philip Sherry) I have ever known.

3 Likes