1 News NZ

Both really, but especially the presentation. I loved it - although it was probably never ‘right’ for One’s demographic, but I certainly loved it.

1 Like

I’d move Wendy to Tonight permanently and make Miri the primary fill-in for Simon and Melissa.

4 Likes

Such a great theme, so ahead of its time. If it had been introduced this year, I don’t think anyone would have batted an eyelid. Incidentally, I believe that it was a last-minute composition - the original plan was to keep the previous music underneath the yellow titles.

In a late and much-debated decision, the signature One News clarion call has been dropped for a new piece of opening music written by the same composer, Peter Blake.

Heaton Dyer, who has announced his resignation as head of news and current affairs, said that up until two weeks ago the old music was going to stay.

5 Likes

It’s not the eyes so much, but the ears… unless they were going to rebrand it to ONE ACTION NEWS, the beat is still way too fast for 6pm.

Not everyone likes dance music, especially in their news.

Well… the BBC seem to have managed all right with dance-y news themes for the past 20 years or so, and they are probably about as fuddy duddy as you could get.

(For comparison, this is what the BBC News looked like before introducing the beeps and drum music):

4 Likes

I actually really like the current 1 News Tonight music - suits the late night vibe.

On a similar note, I’m surprised we haven’t seen a refresh from 1 in recent times, even to change out the images of the openers - apart from when the Queen kicked the bucket

4 Likes

Wonder if they are trying out new people for breakfast next year

2 Likes

Sounds like Wendy is finishing her stint on Tonight and Daniel Faitaua is taking over…

2 Likes

I suspect it’s more a case of not having anything ‘meaty’ for Daniel to come back to.

I think the 3 person approach is actually working alright at Breakfast (for now) and I don’t think they’d want to rock the boat further on a tumultuous year, so if Daniel (re)joins it might have to wait until 2023.

They obviously have a hole at Tonight with Jenny moving to other duties, though.

Has been said before, but TVNZ just have too many good news anchors and not enough programmes for them to front.

3 Likes

I wish Jenny Suo would front a revived version of Foreign Correspondent, TVNZ’s international current affairs programme (1980-94, 2004-05). It would incorporate international issues covered by overseas current affairs programmes (e.g. ABC 20/20, CBS 60 Minutes), and replace the 20/20 programme in TVNZ 1’s Monday night slot (around 9.30pm).

1 Like

Kamahl has issued a new statement, with further allegations against him/Al Jazeera apparently incoming.

3 Likes

@OnAir @Korero @lm123 I am relieved that Daniel Faitaua has just returned to New Zealand after his three-year stint as TVNZ’s Europe correspondent and taken over from Wendy Petrie as anchor of Tonight.

Welcome home, Daniel!

3 Likes

Wonderful. He’ll be great on Tonight - he reminds me in a small way of a younger Greg Boyed.

1 Like

Thanks, @NuStraya. From my point of view I describe the seasoned TVNZ journalist, who has over 10 years experience in news and current affairs reporting, as the Samoan New Zealand but more contemporary version of the likes of Bill Toft, Philip Sherry and Dougal Stevenson from the old NZBC era.

1 Like

Here’s a find - a very young Bernardine Oliver-Kerby reading a news update (must be one of the first times she ever did news, surely?):

2 Likes

Why did they read it from a literal computer?

1 Like

I think it was show it was ‘modern’ and up with the latest news - in 1997 the internet being this new thing - but now it just looks ridiculous :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

They used to clack on the keyboard a bit too… very high-tech.

1 Like

A bit sad if Wendy Petrie is going to be onscreen less from now on. Presumably Star Kata will become the main fill-in…