Your dream TV network

Why can’t you have live news bulletins in place of the today show in the 7.00pm slot or even original News/current affair programs? If ABC can have live news bulletins at night … I don’t see why you should put Today in the news schedule. I really don’t like the fact you have American news shows in what is essentially supposed to be an Australian news channel. Problem is also half the shit on the Today Show (US) is a bunch of celebrity gossip crap like Sunrise, so why does ti deserve a platform on the Seven News channel?

I am generally curious :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

It just happens that, during our prime time (i.e. 7:00pm-10:30pm), New Yorkers are only starting to wake up hence the reason I chose to put NBC Today there (on weekends).

It won’t be a strictly Australian news channel (the ABC News channel also features some foreign programs, too); it must also be remembered that Seven has contractual rights to televise NBC’s news programs hence the reason you see NBC Today (albeit on delay) before Sunrise/Weekend Sunrise each morning.

Another alternative I could suggest is the return of “Sunrise Extra” (which aired between 2010-15) showing the best bits of the program. This would air spontaneously across the schedule when programming permits.

1 Like

My dream TV network (not surprisingly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) would be one where there’s no or minimal ads (like SBS) and has its multiple channels for different genres of movies (like how Foxtel Movie channels are set up) and some magazine movie shows.

:popcorn: :film_strip:

3 Likes

Nine News Now

East Coast
5:00am Early News LIVE
5:30am Today LIVE
9:15am Today Extra LIVE
11:30am Morning News LIVE
12:00pm Good Morning America (encore from previous night)
2:00pm Extra
2:30pm Entertainment Tonight (Nine gets back the rights from Ten)
3:00pm Nine News Now LIVE
4:00pm Local Afternoon News LIVE
5:00pm The Agenda (a new show that previews the top news stories in each market with live crosses to reporters)
6:00pm Nine News in your local city/regional market LIVE SIMULCAST
7:00pm A Current Affair LIVE
7:30pm International Nine News (a news bulletin dedicated to the major news stories overseas; presented from Melbourne by Peter Hitchener) LIVE
8:00pm National Nine News (a news bulletin dedicated to the major news stories nationally; presented from Sydney by Peter Overton) LIVE
8:30pm Nine’s Wide World of Sports (reboot, presented by Cameron Williams from Sydney on Mondays-Wednesdays, and by Tony Jones in Melbourne on Thursdays and Fridays; this show does not run on Thursdays and Fridays during the NRL season) LIVE
9:00pm Good Morning America LIVE from New York
11:00pm Nightline (presented from Sydney by Hugh Riminton) LIVE
11:30pm A Current Affair (encore)
12:00am Nine News Sydney (encore)
1:00am Nine News Melbourne (encore)
2:00am Nine News Queensland (encore)
3:00am Nine News Adelaide (encore)
4:00am Nine News Perth (encore)

Adelaide
4:30am Early News LIVE
5:00am Today LIVE
8:45am Today Extra LIVE
11:00am Morning News LIVE
11:30am Nine Morning News Adelaide (presented by Will McDonald/Alice Monfries) LIVE
12:00pm Good Morning America (encore from previous night)
2:00pm Extra
2:30pm Nine News Now LIVE
3:30pm Local Afternoon News LIVE
4:30pm Entertainment Tonight
5:00pm The Agenda (a new show that previews the top news stories in each market with live crosses to reporters) (1/2 hour delay)
6:00pm Nine News Adelaide LIVE SIMULCAST
7:00pm International Nine News (a news bulletin dedicated to the major news stories overseas; presented from Melbourne by Peter Hitchener) LIVE
7:30pm National Nine News (a news bulletin dedicated to the major news stories nationally; presented from Sydney by Peter Overton) LIVE
8:00pm Nine’s Wide World of Sports (reboot, presented by Cameron Williams from Sydney on Mondays-Wednesdays, and by Tony Jones in Melbourne on Thursdays and Fridays; this show does not run on Thursdays and Fridays during the NRL season) LIVE
8:30pm Good Morning America LIVE from New York
10:30pm Nightline (presented from Sydney by Hugh Riminton) LIVE
11:00pm A Current Affair (delay, but still shown live on Nine Adelaide)
11:30pm Nine News Adelaide (encore)
12:30am Nine News Sydney (encore)
1:30am Nine News Melbourne (encore)
2:30am Nine News Queensland (encore)
3:30am Nine News Perth (encore)

Perth
3:00am Early News LIVE
3:30am Today LIVE
7:15am Today Extra LIVE
9:30am Morning News LIVE
10:00am Today Perth Extra (presented by Michael Genovese and Tracy Vo) LIVE
12:00pm Extra
12:30pm Entertainment Tonight
1:00pm Nine News Now LIVE
2:00pm Good Morning America (encore from previous night)
4:00pm Local Afternoon News LIVE
5:00pm The Agenda (a new show that previews the top news stories in each market with live crosses to reporters) (2 hour delay)
6:00pm Nine News Perth LIVE SIMULCAST
7:00pm Good Morning America LIVE from New York
9:00pm Nightline (presented from Sydney by Hugh Riminton) LIVE
9:30pm A Current Affair (delay, but still shown live on Nine Perth)
10:00pm Nine News Perth (encore)
11:00pm Nine News Sydney (encore)
12:00am Nine News Melbourne (encore)
1:00am Nine News Queensland (encore)
2:00am Nine News Adelaide (encore)

• Like my proposed “News 24/7 Channel” owned by Seven, schedules are altered to allow for live broadcasts of Today and Today Extra into Adelaide and Perth, especially when there is major news.
  • Nine News Now is live around the country, as is Nightline.
  • On Today, local weather stills are superimposed on top of the national weather stills (e.g. in Sydney, weather forecasts for local cities such as Parramatta and Campbelltown are “glued” onto the national forecasts) like as seen on Studio 10.
  • Nightline gets a reboot.
  • Due to time differences, International Nine News, National Nine News and Nine’s Wide World of Sports are not shown in Perth; this is to allow for live broadcast of Good Morning America and Nightline.
  • In the graveyard timeslot when metro Nine News bulletins are replayed back-to-back, the bulletin belonging to a particular market would be played first (e.g. in Brisbane Nine News Queensland would be encored first).
  • Nightline would open the same way Nine’s Morning News opens, except - the dedicated Nightline theme that existed between 2000-05 returns, with the voiceover from Matthew O’Sullivan saying “From Nine News, this is Nightline, with Hugh Riminton”. The background is a darker version of the background currently seen on the Morning News. Sport is presented by Cameron Williams with weather presented by Amber Sherlock.
1 Like

here is a rival for your news channel proposals. I have only done east coast weekdays just to give an idea on how Ten might execute such a idea

TTT (Ten Talk TV)
Weekdays
6:00am The Talk
7:00am Ten Morning News
8:00am Studio 10
11:00am The Doctors
12:00pm Afternoon Edition
1:00pm Dr Phil
2:00pm ET
2:30pm CBS This Morning (encore)
4:00pm The Talk (rpt)
5:00pm Ten National News
5:30pm Ten News First
6:30pm Ten National News
7:00pm The Project
7:30pm The Project Presents
8:00pm State Affair (on delay)
8:30pm Ten News First (Perth Edition)
9:30pm ET
10:00pm The Project (encore)
10:30pm The Project Presents (encore)
11:00pm 48 Hours (Repeats)
12:00am State Affair (encore)
12:30am The Late Show
1:30pm The Late Late Show
2:30am The Doctors
3:30am Dr Phil
4:30pm CBS This Morning

2 Likes

Fictional network “8” I came up with many years ago - I call it Channel 8, with a network of digitals to go with it. In my scenario, to accommodate the “8” suite of digital channels, WIN and TEN merge (yes, unlikely, I know, and thought of long before CBS came along and also before the affiliation change) and use the “1” group of channels for both metro and regional. Channel 8 then can use the “8” group in all markets.

My main channel guide for a typical weeknight is something like this with the aim to NOT have nightly “so-called tent pole” reality (point of difference) and a network policy of no informercial programming ever, on any channel, at any time of the day. It also has the policy of “main channel” prime time content being 100% Australian.

Main channel - 8, 80 or 81 in HD - Typical ratings period programming (non-ratings would be much the same but possibly more repeats)

Mon-Fri (but not pub hols - national pub hols are programmed like weekends)
6.00am Overnight News Wrap
7.00am News
7.30am Morning Soap/Drama
8.00am News
8.30am Topical Chat Show (could start earlier and/or finish later)
9.00am Prime time replay from previous weeknight (3 hours)
12.00pm Midday News National
12.30pm Day time movie or made for TV movie (note US talk shows similar to Ellen would air on 82).
2.30pm Sitcom
3.00pm Sitcom
3.30pm Afternoon Soap/Drama
4.00pm Observational type show
4.30pm Afternoon News National
5.00pm Game show 1
5.30pm Game show 2 (both different game shows, not one hour long)
6.00pm Community/Local News
6.30pm News (First 10 and last 10 minutes produced for each market, middle 10 national - the news would be arranged something like this: 1st 10 min news relevant to its own market. 2nd 10 minutes national and international news common to all markets, last 10 minutes sport and weather relevant to each market. Ads fit in depending on amount of content - 2 ad breaks roughly located at 9 past and 19 past start time).
7.00pm Intensity (Game show, more serious than the 5pm and 5.30pm game show)

Sun-Thur
7.30pm Aus drama/Aus sitcoms/Aus comedy either 1hr or 2 x 30min
8.30pm Aus premium dramas, 1 hr once per week reality.
9.30pm Lighter shows, Aus panel shows, comedy, etc (Sunday - weekly version)
10.30pm 1030 News (national) (Sunday - Weekend sports wrap - sums up whole weekend of sport)
11.00pm Aus Late night show (Mon-Thur only) Sunday 11.00pm Weekly wrap - news and stuff
12.00am Aus Late Late show (Mon-Thur only) Sunday midnight - The Midnight show weekly - highlights from previous weeks’ late shows like interviews, performances, gags, etc.
1.00am Topical show (talk, etc, MA rating, with things you can’t get away with earlier)
2.00am repeats of Aus dramas
3.00am repeats
4.00am repeats
5.00am sitcom
5.30am sitcom

Sat & Sun day - News at 9am, 12pm and 6pm only, 30 minutes. Fri & Sat night - 7.30 onwards entertainment type programming including live shows, movies later. No marquee sports - too expensive - all money put into producing local content and acquiring international rights.

I will point out that this channel has the policy of strict adherence to times. As do all the channels in the Channel 8 group, allowing one to easily change between channels without worrying about the differences in minutes of start and finish times over all the channels and easy multi channel cross promotion. 8.30pm MEANS 8.30pm. Not 8.43, 8.54 etc - on all channels. Also live into SA (like the US do with 9/8 central), WA have the option to watch live on secondary channel as do QLD & NT during daylight savings.

The Channel 8 suite of channels includes:
Channel 8 - focused on Australian content in prime time (so called main channel) LCN 8 in SD, 80 in SD and 81 in HD)
82 - LCN 82 in HD - US, UK and international content. All the US content would air on this channel, also UK and other international content. With Prime Time live blocks from both UK and USA (USA live Airing from 10am, 11am or 12pm depending on time of year and daylight saving etc in east). As many shows as possible shown at same time as US, replayed in prime time same day.
83 - LCN 83 in HD - the youth aimed channel - with kids, teens, and 20-something type programming - MTV type content and the like.
84 - LCN 84 in HD - premium drama channel - the FTA version of Fox Showcase, mixed with Binge, Boxsets, and the like. It would air shows like quality HBO dramas, Aus content like Wentworth, etc.
85 - LCN 85 SD - News channel 24 hours. News on the hour, every hour, 24 hours a day (including 2-6am). On the half hours - current affairs shows, international news, 60 minutes type stories, longer news stories, specials, etc.
86 - LCN 86 SD - Breaking News Channel - Provides regular and rolling coverage of breaking news as it happens, when it happens. This channel allows the 85 News channel to maintain a regular schedule even during a major breaking news story and rolling coverage. In the absence of any breaking news at all, this channel replays different news bulletins from different markets.
87 - LCN 87 SD - The Replay channel. A time shift channel featuring delayed programming from 81, 82 and 83 in the east. In WA, this channel plays the main channel 2 hours earlier (3 in summer) during prime time so WA viewers can watch prime time channel 81 live with the east coast if they like. QLD and NT during daylight saving would get this channel as 1 hour ahead of their local main for same reason.
88 - LCN 88 SD - Pop up channel. Like what Foxtel does, different themes in large multi day programming blocks - eg - playing an entire series over all seasons over a number of days, movie themes, and the like.
89 - LCN 89 SD - promo channel - continually shows promos for shows on all other Channel 8 channels - bit like the old TV guide channels but better.

Using MPEG4, 4 HD channels and 5 SD are easily able to be accommodated within current bandwidth. As far as I am aware all markets metro and regional have allocation for one more FTA network. If we still have to have at least one channel in MPEG2, then that would of course be the main channel in SD on LCN8 and dropping 89 to fit in.

4 Likes

Looking at earlier posts in this thread, why do people put Infomercials and Home Shopping in their “dream” network or channel schedules?

3 Likes

Because even ‘dream’ networks can’t resist that sweet infomercial cash

2 Likes

In an ideal world infomercials wouldnt exist. However, they do. One thought I had, subject to government regulation would be, to have a premium channel, available by subscription only where alternative programming screens instead of infomercials.

In my ideal scenario, I would also ensure that if I had a 3-channel system (as Ten does), At least 1 of these channels would screening programming that is not a paid presentation at all times. I would aim for 2 of these channels doing this in the long term.

Eg

Channel x1 Infomercials 2:30am-4:00am
Channel x2 Infomercials 12:30am-2:30am; 6:00am-7:00am; 9:00am-10:30am
Channel x3 Infomercials 4:00am-6:00am; 10:30am-12:00pm

1 Like

Fox Tennis.

As the name suggests, this channel would televise all the tennis tournaments around the world (ATP and WTA Tours, all four Majors, the ATP and WTA Finals, the ATP Cup, etc.) as well as classic matches from the archives.

The Australian Open would be shared with Nine, though they would use their own, dedicated commentary team led by the likes of Eddie McGuire, Dwayne Russell, Alissa Smith, Kath Loughnan, Josh Eagle etc.

Same case with Wimbledon (shared with Seven). The French and US Opens would use the international feed.

2 Likes

Money doesn’t grow on trees. Networks need to make money.

1 Like

Wow you have no idea :bulb: this is a ratings disaster @Sifon

Let’s see your dream lineup.

Naomi Robson doing a Jerry Springer style show would be ratings gold.

Right.

1 Like

Very random schedule there.

1 Like

7retro
Slogan: The Best from the Past

This channel would air old shows that used to air on Channel Seven, including kids programs and some rebooted shows like The Big Breakfast, etc.

A typical schedule could look like this:

5:30am The Big Breakfast (reboot, in direct competition with Sunrise. James Tobin, who was one of the co-hosts of The Big Arvo when that show was axed in mid-2005, could be an ideal co-host for this show).
9:00am It’s Academic (repeats)
9:30am Million Dollar Minute (repeats)
10:00am Wheel of Fortune (repeats)
10:30am Deal or No Deal (repeats)
11:00am The Weakest Link (repeats)
12:00pm Movie
2:00pm Better Homes and Gardens (shows from before the show was revamped to a one-hour format in 2005)/Harry’s Practice
2:30pm The Great Outdoors (repeats)
3:00pm The Mole/The Amazing Race Australia/Beauty and the Geek Australia (repeats)
4:00pm Who Dares Wins? (repeats)
4:30pm Room for Improvement (from memory, this show made way for the 4:30pm news (then Target Iraq) that launched on Seven in March 2003).
5:00pm The Chase Australia (old episodes)
6:00pm Seven News SIMULCAST
7:00pm Home and Away (repeats) - NOT SIMULCAST
7:30pm My Kitchen Rules/House Rules/etc. (early seasons)
8:30pm Alias (Mondays, repeats), All Saints (Tuesdays, repeats), Blue Heelers (Wednesdays, repeats), City Homicide (Thursdays, repeats), Always Greener (Fridays, repeats)
9:30pm The Practice (repeats)
10:30pm 24 (repeats)
11:30pm Home and Away (repeat of episode aired on Seven from earlier in the night)
12:00am-5:30am Classic AFL/Big Bash matches

Weekends
7:00am The Weekend Breakfast (similar in format to The Big Breakfast)
10:00am Children’s programming
12:00pm Australia’s Worst Driver (repeats)
12:30pm Highway Patrol (repeats)
1:00pm Ground Force (repeats)
2:00pm Australia’s Best Backyards (repeats)
3:00pm My Restaurant Rules (repeats)
4:00pm Always Greener (repeats)
5:00pm Little Big Shots (repeats)
6:00pm Seven News SIMULCAST
7:00pm Border Security: Australia’s Front Line (repeats)
7:30pm The Force (repeats)
8:00pm Beauty and the Geek Australia (repeats)
9:00pm Movie
12:00am Classic AFL Grand Final matches

3 Likes

Pretty much taking sevens schedule from the late 90s.

2 Likes

yep - that’s the purpose of the channel.

3 Likes

I don’t get airing old episodes of The Chase Australia and Home and Away against new episodes on the main channel though?

And old eps of the reality shows against new episodes?

2 Likes

While you’re at it… may as well replay Seven Nightly News, Today Tonight, 11AM, Saturday Disney, Amazing and Agros Cartoon Connection.

Heck let’s replay the 2000 Olympics again.

4 Likes