Wollongong Radio

Not sure, but considering that Lachy has left i98, therefore opening a vacancy for a morning slot, perhaps one of Wave FM’s workday announcers have jumped ship to a higher-rating rival.

2 Likes

Not directly relevant for this thread, but former i98 presenter, Lachlan Kitchen, has joined Dubai 92 to present breakfast with George Ryland.

Source: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/lachlan-kitchen-joins-dubai-92

2 Likes

I think it’s this one.

July Update.

According to the following station’s website, former C91.3 breakfast presenter, Lyndal Rogers, is now doing mornings on i98.

18th August.

This year’s ACRA nominees on among the Wollongong stations:

Best News Presenter (Provincial)
Renee Criddle - i98FM
Travis Winks - Wave FM

Best Direct Salesperson (Provincial)
Termira Speers - i98FM

Best Station Produced Commercial - Single (Provincial)
Good Luck Doesn’t Just Happen; Rob Sharples - i98FM

Best Sales Promotion (Non-Metro)
Wave FM’s McWedding - Wave FM

Best Multimedia Execution - Sales (Non Metro)
Wave FM’s McWedding - Wave FM

Best Community Service Project (Provincial)
i98FM Illawarra Convoy - i98FM

2 Likes

Down in Sydney for a couple of nights, and saw an ad this afternoon on Nine Wollongong for WAVE FM for their breakfast show.

It started with a somewhat corny text message convo about the female host losing her car keys and then a radio display scanning down from 98.1 to 96.5. No prizes for who they’re targeting there

2 Likes

Is it just me or are TV ads for radio stations getting worse? I seem to remember much better ones years ago.

3 Likes

It’s too bad that AirCheck (who does the music crossover reports) doesn’t cover the Wollongong stations in its music monitoring.

The closest would be Lava, which you can compare a complete day’s playlist of both stations, side by side. On a side note, 94.9 Power FM’s playlist can now be seen on Lava as of this week.

I tend to agree on this. Wave FM is slightly more ‘adult-friendly’ than i98FM.

They certainly would. Given that it doesn’t transmit into Sydney very well anymore, listening to Power FM whilst in the Illawarra would now be considered a breath of fresh air, as it’s a station that you wouldn’t usually get at home very well.

2 Likes

Next time I go the Gong, I want to test Power FM out.

3 Likes

We previously mentioned in this forum that Wave and Power fm playlist were overlapping at times, particularly Sunday afternoons.

They are now overlapping on weeknights too with both stations taking the random 30. Wave is slightly ahead of Power fm in tonight’s countdown.

3 Likes

That now means both Wave & i98 are taking syndicated programming from 7pm on weeknights, with the latter airing Carrie & Tommy since earlier this year. Wave no longer has the advantage of having locally-generated programming on weeknights that it had since that time.

2 Likes

So Wave is now “the best music” all day and then the hottest hits at night?

Combined with the fact they’re using the Hit Network colours, they really do want to be like 2DayFM.

2 Likes

Also two stations carrying the same program consider Power fm having significant overspill into Wollongong.

Wave would have only just picked up this show within the last week.

2 Likes

Yes, the “Random 30” wasn’t on Wave when listened last week, but it is tonight.

1 Like

Wave FM’s website does mention the fact that they now air The Random 30 countdown.

2 Likes

But how many listen at night? Not enough to budge the breakfast ratings the way a great evening program locks in extra audience on a talk format such as Stan Zermanek, AW Nightline, Bob Francis or Jeremy Cordeaux.

@Deano was at 2DAY in the 90’s back when it was a success, perhaps he wants to channel that era or perhaps completely unrelated?

According to the recent Wollongong radio ratings, Wave was ranked 3rd in the 7pm-Midnight slot with 15.8%, in contrast to ABC Illawarra’s 27% & i98’s 21.1%.

1 Like

Yes, the audience numbers, are far less after PM Drive for radio as people arrive home and turn on the TV or streaming. Radio has the biggest audience during its four dayshifts. Nights are but a fraction of daytime audiences is what my post was about.

2 Likes

That’s a fair point.

With that in mind, here are the cumulative audience figures by sessions from the recent ratings.

Breakfast

i98: 85,200
Wave: 61,500
ABC Illa: 43,800
JJJ: 34,900

Morning

i98: 50,400
Wave: 39,600
ABC Illa: 28,500
JJJ: 21,000

Afternoon

i98: 60,600
Wave: 45,300
ABC Illa: 27,800
JJJ: 26,000

Drive

i98: 71,800
Wave: 54,000
JJJ: 30,300
ABC Illa: 28,100

Evening

ABC Illa: 10,500
i98: 9,600
Wave: 8,200
JJJ: 5,200

4 Likes

That’s all the audience who listen to shifts during that survey, the actual number of them listening at any one time is far lower. Average audience exposes the ‘what if my ad was on during…’ question.

1 Like

Yes, very few would listen to the entire shift.

1 Like

According to their website, Wave FM are now airing Kate, Tim & Marty at 4-6pm Saturdays.

2 Likes