Regional Radio Ratings

Today, we head to the other side of Sydney, to Wollongong: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Regional/WOLLONGONG-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.pdf?ext=.pdf

i98FM remains at #1, albeit with a reduced audience share of 26.5% (-2.6), with Wave FM going up 2.1% to 18.3%. This closes the 2-station gap from 12.9% last year to 8.2% this year, its lowest since 2014. ABC Illawarra is 3rd with 14%, followed by JJJ with 11.4%.

Of the Sydney stations, 2GB is #1 with 3.8%, followed by 2MMM with 2.8%, KIIS with 2.7% & Smooth with 2.3%. The Edge outrates 2Day with 1.2% compared to the latter’s 0.4%.

In the demos, i98 wins in the under-55s, whilst Wave tops the 55-64s & ABC Illawarra dominates the 65+. The 40-54 ratings for the two narrows, with i98 rating 25.8% (-9.1) to Wave’s 21% (+0.8). In the 55-64s, Wave FM scores a 25.4% share (+4.2), whilst i98 went up 7.9% to 19.4% (ABC Illawarra was 2nd with 23.1%). And in the 65+, Wave FM scored a 9.3% share (-0.9), whilst i98 went up 0.4% to 7.6%.

In breakfast, i98’s Marty, Christie & Crammy remains at #1 with 26.4% (-3.5), followed by Wave’s Jade, Staney & Trav went up 2% to 17.5%, and ABC Illawarra’s Melinda James with 14.6% (-0.6).

In short, Wave FM is the big winner this survey, even though they’re still a long way away from toppling i98FM for the #1 spot.

6 Likes

Yes, though the gap has narrowed significantly. Great to see Wollongong radio looking a bit more competitive again. Hopefully the trend continues.

My point. :slight_smile:

I agree. It would almost be like the 2002-09 period, when i98FM & Wave FM rated close to each other, even though they targeted different audiences.

Grant’s FM stations up & down the East Coast seemed to be doing well this year, such as in Cairns (Star 102.7), Mackay (Star 101.9), the Sunshine Coast (Hot 91) & the Gold Coast (Hot Tomato). Now, we can add Wollongong (Wave FM) to the list as well. :wink:

3 Likes

At least Xtra saved Macquarie Sports Radio the humiliation of an asterisk.

They simply gave them a 0.0

1 Like

Another thing worth noting in this year’s Wollongong ratings.

i98FM fell in every demo group under 55, but rose in the 55-64s & 65+! :open_mouth:

Meanwhile, Wave FM rose in every demo group, except for the 65+, and claims the #1 spot in the 40+, which i98FM won it last year, according to its ratings spin below.

Source: Radioinfo

2 Likes

The problem still remains, both station sound too similar. I would love to see a music crossover report between both stations.
i98’s music can be all over the place at time’s going from Pnau or Miley, to AC/DC or Chisel. Wave’s playlist is not quite as extreme, they do play more AC then i98.

If Power fm had a better signal into Wollongong and was more Wollongong centric they could be a very good alternative to i98 / Wave.

How does the Edge get into Wollongong?? I would have thought it would be very weak with the escarpment in its path.

Another good showing for Triple J, they are doing well in the major regional’s of Wollongong, Newcastle and Canberra where the markets is quite boring.

3 Likes

The Edge does get into Wollongong quite well. In fact, The Edge rates higher than Power FM in the 25-39s.

2 Likes

2 Likes

That’s a nice graphic - particularly by WIN standards.

I don’t suppose they disclose during the bulletin that they own i98?

No but I think most people in the region would be aware of that.

Warragul has their ratings released today, which was previously surveyed in 2016: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Regional/WARRAGUL-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.pdf?ext=.pdf

Hit Gippsland (94.3/97.9) remains at #1 with 13.8% (-1.3%), whilst 3GG had a 4.4% increase to 10.5%. ABC Radio Melbourne scored 8.9% (Steady), followed by JJJ at 7.6% (+0.8) & ABC Gippsland with 6.4% (-2.0).

In the demos, Hit is #1 in the under-40s, whilst 3GG tops the 40-64s & ABC Radio Melbourne dominates in the 65+.

The “Other Stations” scored a 49.7% share, a fair amount of which would be towards the Melbourne stations. That’s down from 52.5% in 2016.

Isn’t this peculiar - Warragul stations included in the Sale book, but not the reverse.

Then again, when your best performing station is only pulling a 13.8% share, one is hardly surprised.

5 Likes

Bound to be a lot of Melbourne stations in the “other” figure.

Also a bit suprising that ABC Melbourne outrates ABC Gippsland.

It’s very difficult in some areas of West Gippsland to receive 100.7FM or 828AM. 774 comes in a lot stronger.

1 Like

It would be interesting to know where those surveyed are located. There’s a large overlap with Melbourne to the west (where listeners would prefer the Metro stations regardless of how good the regionals are) and with Sale to the east. The area targeted by these stations isn’t accurately reflected in the license areas.

2 Likes

Why isn’t TRFM & Gold 1242 in this survey?
They would boom into Warragul easily

1 Like

In 2016 the Ace Radio Sale RA1 stations were included. Interesting why they aren’t now.

2016 results: Regional Radio Ratings - #151 by TV-Expert

1 Like

Must be doing a fair amount of calls around Pakenham you’d have to guess

1 Like

ABC Melbourne is included so the other surrounding stations should have been included. They shouldn’t, and CRA shouldn’t allow them to, just cherry pick surrounding stations to suit their own purposes.

1 Like

And the Warragul regionals are some of the worst.

They’re not in the survey as those paying for the survey call the tune. Simple. Another distorted survey.

It’s CRA that allow this, due to their members’ requests.

They create Boomtown to try to sell (rort) to agencies who woke up to this rubbish long ago yet wonder why they don’t get much success from that campaign.

Regionals need to stop operating surveys to attempt to fool inexperienced local businesses, the direct clients they’ve been milking for decades.

3 Likes